997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Flashing Your Dme

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:16 PM
KINGMONKEY is infamous around these parts
Flashing Your Dme

Dear Guy's
Before you decide to flash your DME unit.You should have a extra back up DME,I had a 996TT and blew the head gasket on the car.They put a new motor in the car cost $47,500.00 under warranty Porsche USA will not rebuild a turbo motor at the dealer they will crate a new motor from germay for swap FYI,The 1st thing Porsche germany asked the dealer was ,If they checked if the car was flashed,You have people who will flash your DME and tell you there is no problem, Porsche will not cover the warranty.You will pay for out of your pocket,So if these guys ask you to send your DME to swap flash and Don't have a extra DME Porsche part # 99761860200.You must have 2 DME'S, 1 FLASHED,1 ORIGINAL CODED to swap for service, Better yet ask the guy flashing if he guarantee's your Porsche warranty

Jeff

Last edited by KINGMONKEY; 02-22-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:24 PM
unique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud of
wait a minute so that means we have to get our cars flashed with an option of being able to switch back to stock before servicing (correct me if im wrong)..... do chips like giac give u an option to change back to stock without taking it to the place u got it reflashed?????

Old 02-21-2007, 10:29 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
$47.5K is a lot of money to risk for that extra HP. I like more HP myself but would not take that risk unless I was 100% sure that it could not be detected or my car was out of warranty (after 4 years). I have already gone over this with my mechanic (still have 2-3 months before car arrives) and he gave me the thumbs down on that question and did not elaborate why. The issue is not with your dealership, the issue is with PCNA. If your dealer gives you the green light........................GET IT IN WRITING!!!

Last edited by gradyex; 02-21-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
What Kingmonkey is saying is buy a second ECU. The 996TT ECU was about $1800 3 years ago. Get the NEW ECU flashed. If you end up with catastrophic engine failure, put the STOCK ECU back in before calling a tow truck to take your car to the dealer.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:45 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
It A)can always be flashed to stock B) will have switching so you can place it back to stock.

We have already been through this with the 996TT. We have NEVER had one failure due to chip tuning.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Former Vendor
Nate@EVO is infamous around these parts
For anyone interested, we are one of a few authorized independent repair facilities in the US with a certified PIWIS tool and can program new ECU's for the 997TT. With the PIWIS, a new 997TT ECU and VIN # of the car, we can program an additional ECU for any 996TT or 997TT. Additionally, we are the only GIAC dealer that can do this for the 997TT. We charge $1500 which includes a new 997TT ECU that is programmed specifically to the supplied VIN number. Let me know if anyone has any questions regarding this process.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:52 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Flashing back to stock still shows up as modified code on the Porsche equipment if I am not mistaken.

Regardless, if you mod and you break it - you pay for it. Definately something to consider before modding to this degree. Personally I roll the dice

Old 02-21-2007, 10:53 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
we are the only GIAC dealer
Well almost We too can do it. Both EVO and I have PIWISs.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 PM
In any event you need 2 DME'S and yes programmed to the VIN#,It will show up as a code,But its a fluke once checked.A DME from the dealer $915.00 retail

Old 02-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
$1500 well spent IMO if you're simply going for a flash.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Well I think it is funny someone would pay 47500.00 when we build them for about 14K and give a 12K/12month warranty regardless of mods.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:16 PM
$47500.00 is what the dealer cost was.I did'nt pay a penny,In other words if they found a flash that would be my bill at the dealer.

Last edited by KINGMONKEY; 02-21-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 PM
If something I caused did, yes. Have I had in engine failure in any car since I opened the doors in 98, NO.
<O
I made my dealer tear my motor down and go through it and THEY knew it had 600HP. I proved to them NOTHING we did caused the issue and they knew it. Go in blind and they will roll over you. <O
<O
There have been hundreds of flashes and never been a failure. So the warning is appreciated, but not necessary. You can call me Stephen

Old 02-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Stephan
I know you know your stuff about the 997TT,996TT and I mean no disrespect,Just like you say they will roll over you .My tech is my friend.When I blew the head gasket.He said I'm glad you listened ,Its best that people know they can get a back up DME and you can supply one, For extra $$$,I know we have a sickness with cars ,I want mine fast,Then faster. Highest Regards Jeff

Old 02-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Each dealer is different. I have one that I bought my car from that would "good will" should something EVER happen and another that says, bring the car to us regardless, we will warranty it. So there is some dealer play involved.

I agree, if POM is what one is looking for an additonal ECU may be for you. I don't worry about it, but then again I am covered if I need to be or I will just fix it myself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Flashing Your Dme