997 Turbo / GT2 20062012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997TT Tiptronic Transmission – Power Delivery – Inconsistent Performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:20 PM
NAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to behold
Very interesting stuff. Thanks for posting your discoveries.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Octanemia is infamous around these parts
Interesting work.
so this switch is good in mercedes and BMWs but not for the turbo.
I'll take the 6-speed at any time.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:08 PM
janosh is infamous around these parts
Todd

This is very interesting, so much so I have joined the forum to post a reply/query:

I used to have a 996 and am fairly sure from what you describe that this was a feature of kick-down (I assumed due to turbo lag) that I stopped using it altogether and always selected a lower gear, if necessary, as I put the throttle down which resulted in a much more consistent acceleration as you describe.

I am now in the early stages of the 997 TT experience and have held back from kick-down until I have a few more miles on the clock. Whilst that is happening I do have a couple of questions/thoughts :
1. is "over-boost" not linked to the pedal switch, i.e. the extra 60bhp - I had thought not originally but the Porsche manual does seem to imply that it is.
2. Is it not realistic to ask Porsche themselves about this behaviour as it is not desirable?

Old 04-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Jeff_NJ is a jewel in the roughJeff_NJ is a jewel in the roughJeff_NJ is a jewel in the rough
Todd,

I am not very familiar with tiptronics, so forgive me if this is a silly idea, but is there any way to tie your throttle step down switch into the manual/automatic mode selector? My idea is that when you select manual mode, the throttle step down switch would be turned off automatically and then when you put it back to auto, the step down switch would come back on. Since I have no idea how to switch between auto and manual, I dont know if it would require an electromechanical switch or if it would need to be programmed, but I am sure you know.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Thank you all for your questions, responses and interest in this thread.

I have done some more detailed research and found that there is no switch in the pedal. After purchasing a 997TT pedal and dissecting it, the ”switch" that offers resistance against the pedal is just a spring loaded stop with some detent springs. It has nothing to do with the communication with the transmission computer. The communication comes from the potentiometer on the accelerator pedal when it moves past this point. I will be comparing the values from the Tip pedal to the 6-speed pedal shortly to see the differences as well as the possibility of using the 6-speed pedal. I have a 997TT Tiptronic in our shop for our EVT-610 tuning system that I will be using to get this project completed.

I apologize for not responding sooner and I will answer all of the questions that I have answers to individually.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 04-06-2007, 11:16 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Just repeating what others have already said: GREAT information, GREAT work, thank you for the effort. Pro tuners/modders like you make 6speedonline unique.
Your "discovery" is so interesting I cross-posted it on rennteam.

Originally Posted by Todd @ EVO
Thank you all for your questions, responses and interest in this thread.

I have done some more detailed research and found that there is no switch in the pedal. After purchasing a 997TT pedal and dissecting it, the ”switch" that offers resistance against the pedal is just a spring loaded stop with some detent springs. It has nothing to do with the communication with the transmission computer. The communication comes from the potentiometer on the accelerator pedal when it moves past this point. I will be comparing the values from the Tip pedal to the 6-speed pedal shortly to see the differences as well as the possibility of using the 6-speed pedal. I have a 997TT Tiptronic in our shop for our EVT-610 tuning system that I will be using to get this project completed.

I apologize for not responding sooner and I will answer all of the questions that I have answers to individually.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Aisxos is a jewel in the roughAisxos is a jewel in the roughAisxos is a jewel in the rough
Inform us plz Todd.. We the Tip owners are in the dark....
I bought today a driftbox in order to do some tests...

Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM
intouch1 is infamous around these parts
when driving my 997 turbo tip, i was trying to find out as to when overboost kicks in. it is not related to either kickdown or gas-pedal travel.

it must be more related to gear and rpm. i think the ecu requests overboost according to level od accelleration requested by gas-pedal travel and calculates it into boost pressure varying eiter between 1.1 to a maximumof 1.2 bars of pressure....

i am not a mechanic or engineer. this is solely based on my observations when driving the car.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:31 PM
win
win is infamous around these parts
Moral of the story:
Drive a stick.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Mike2727 is infamous around these parts
Todd do have any news in reference to this topic ?

Mike

Old 04-19-2007, 02:28 PM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by win
Moral of the story:
Drive a stick.
Yup - that's what I read too.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:32 PM
You trade in your car when your ashtray is full ?, or when your tires need air ?

Old 04-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
Todd are your testings done in a car with Sport Chrono + Power Boost?

On another note I drove on the track a Tip/Sport Chrono and even with the Sport button on I didn't like much to say the least, I didn't like period...

but I guess my opinion is pointless in a thread that is trying to discover what the heck is going on in the Tip ECU...

I just hope you guys do a good program for manulas and I'm in...

Old 05-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Todd any news on the Tip evaluation ?

Mike

Old 05-30-2007, 01:00 PM
WhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to beholdWhiteKnight is a splendid one to behold
Should we press the pedal about % 90 ?

What is the exact point of this ? Anyone ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997TT Tiptronic Transmission – Power Delivery – Inconsistent Performance