997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Driving Techniques

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
A good driving school is the best answer. For Porsche I would suggest both Skip Barber and PDE in this order.

While many spend thousands on the car they spend very little on the driver, yet the biggest bag for the buck in spending on the driver.
<O
You will come away SAFER, FASTER at the right time, SLOWER at the right time, and most importantly, you will learn to have mort FUN with every car you drive.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Only 5SPEED
MPD47 is infamous around these partsMPD47 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Sloopy
A good driving school is the best answer.<o>
+1000

With a 911 you're certainly going slow in Fast out
</o>

Old 03-12-2007, 04:50 PM
E36M is infamous around these parts
I don't recomend Skip Barber, they don't offer very much seat time. In their formula cars your lucky to get two 30 min sessions in a day that cost over 1,000 dollars.

Going slow in and fast out is the easiest way to drive quickly, but don't underestimate the importace of speed into and around the turn. When you are trying to get 85% out of a car, focus on exit speed, for the last 15% you need to focus on entry and overall corner speed.

Last edited by E36M; 03-12-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
The secret to get more form Skip Barber is to go mid week where class size is limited. Also I didn’t take the racing class. The two day road car driving class is more useful for improving driving style and car control.

Not everyone will get the same from every class; however I found my time at this class improved my driving 100%.

I did a one day class in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comEngland</ST1</st1:country-region> in a DB9 which was centered on the car. A lot of fun and a great why to find the limits of the car, however I didn’t learn a lot about driving. I have heard that the <ST1<st1:PlaceName>Porsche</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>School</st1:PlaceType></ST1 is better.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:46 PM
vtandon is infamous around these partsvtandon is infamous around these partsvtandon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E36M
I don't recomend Skip Barber, they don't offer very much seat time. In their formula cars your lucky to get two 30 min sessions in a day that cost over 1,000 dollars.

Going slow in and fast out is the easiest way to drive quickly, but don't underestimate the importace of speed into and around the turn. When you are trying to get 85% out of a car, focus on exit speed, for the last 15% you need to focus on entry and overall corner speed.

good answer

Old 04-19-2007, 01:55 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alex
It's the driver, NOT the car.
sorry but a most corvettes will corner better and faster than turbos and for several reasons.

#1 Weight, weight transfer is a key component in cornering therefore the less you have the better your cornering.

#2 RWD, rwd cars turn in better and dont push like AWD, hence no AWD race cars.

#3 Gearing longer gears are actually better for turning because you want to be smooth in and out of corners, too much torque will promote oversteer in RWD cars and understeer in AWD corners, vette gears are longer.

#4 Center of gravity, also key component in cornering and weight transfer and vettes have lower center of gravity.

In fact the only thing the porsche would have over a vette in cornering is better braking (depending on which vette) turning radius, and I would guess the chassis is stiffer.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:58 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Curious then why did the Turbo lap the Nurburgring faster than the Z06? I just know I'm going to be be flamed for this. :flame suit on:

Old 04-19-2007, 02:00 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by atomic80
Curious then why did the Turbo lap the Nurburgring faster than the Z06?
Tires! Put sport cups on a Z06 and see what happens.

I failed to mention traction because the car has no control over it's tires.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:01 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
The Turbo pulled those times on street tires! Put cup tires on the Turbo and see what happens too.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:16 AM
The Turbo pulled those times on street tires! Put cup tires on the Turbo and see what happens too.
Well I'm not getting into that debate again but there is not question that the Z06 is faster around just about any track than a turbo. I'm sick of the magazine racing, the Z06 with equal drivers will beat the turbo around ANY track (unless its wet).

Old 04-19-2007, 02:26 AM
We should find out whether that really is the case. It's pretty obvious that you're biased towards Chevy/Z06 products. I can't say that I'm 100% biased toward Porsche products either even though I own one. I'm just not entirely convinced that we could believe in one thing or the other.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:39 AM
We should find out whether that really is the case. It's pretty obvious that you're biased towards Chevy/Z06 products. I can't say that I'm 100% biased toward Porsche products either even though I own one. I'm just not entirely convinced that we could believe in one thing or the other.
Your kidding right? I would like to see a raise of hands of who thinks a 997 turbo in the hands of the same good driver would beat a Z06 on any track. If you have actually been to a track you would know different and not be magazine racing.

How am I biased, because of my screen name? I bought a 996 turbo to spank Z06's at the track (which I do) because of all the arrogant clowns that own them.

I am completely unbiased, but very opinionated, there are even recent magazines to refute your ring times, and for the record sport cups are street tires (unless your saying it ran on PS2's which would mean it should be faster than the GT3 with sport cups on) and I would bet lots of money the Z06 on same tires with same driver would punish the 997 turbo around any track.

I may get flamed, but I can deal with it, I get flamed by the vette guys for pointing out what the porsche is better at and dont mind getting flamed by the porsche guys for the opposite.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:55 PM
ANUBIS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Trundle997
No one simple answer to your question...driving is an art.
My best tip for you is:
Look where you want to go...NOT where you are going.
You are an ideal candidate to attend PDE (Porsche Driving Experience)
http://www.porschedriving.com

+1 .... try it again

Old 04-20-2007, 08:37 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Bottom line - Spending money on the driver rather than the car is a far better investment and much more rewarding.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
Bottom line - Spending money on the driver rather than the car is a far better investment and much more rewarding.
+1 That's why I've signed up to go to the Porsche driving school twice already!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving Techniques