997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Driving Techniques

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 07:31 AM
lamvince is infamous around these partslamvince is infamous around these parts
Question Driving Techniques

Hi Guys.
I find it difficult to turn sharp corners with a porsche. Today I was driving the car and turing into an insection at about 40 mph, (cross intersection, so a 90 degree turn) and the car started skidding then sliding. How do you guys do it so that it is smooth?

I found this funny that a corvette that my friend drives can do this at a faster speed, and better.

Can you guys share some tips about doing fast corners and fast turns like a sharp turn or a sharp hair pin turn?

Is it better to turn while keeping the gas or letting the car go through without touching the gas pedal?

Please help me with this tricky car.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
No one simple answer to your question...driving is an art.
My best tip for you is:
Look where you want to go...NOT where you are going.
You are an ideal candidate to attend PDE (Porsche Driving Experience)
http://www.porschedriving.com

Old 03-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Hernando is infamous around these parts
Usually, you don't want to enter a turn quickly, what you should try for is a fast exit. But on a turn like the one you described your best bet is stay as far to the right as possible (this is based on a turn to the left), when you begin to approach the turn maybe 40-50 feet begin your braking and downshifting, enter the turn in second (don't add gas and don't let off the gas while in the turn), as you begin your exit you give it gas. You need to Apex your turn, in other word you have to find the smoothest line through the turn. If you turn in too soon, you will slow down and have to correct too much, if you turn too late you may wind up off the road, or without any room to exit the turn. It's hard for me to explain this in Text form, I wish I could show you what I am talking about physically. I hope this helps. You should go to the Porsche Driving Experience.

Last edited by Hernando; 03-10-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Hernando is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Trundle997
My best tip for you is:
I agrree, driving is an art! I agree, go to PDE!

Old 03-10-2007, 01:01 PM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
Well in a Porsche you want to do everything a little bit earlier then you would in most cars because you pretty much steer with the back tires. Enter the turn by setting the suspension a little trail braking into the apex to put some weight on the front tires, at the apex start giving it gas as hard as you can without breaking the rear tires loose. Try it a few times and you'll get you will find the sweet spot. It alo depends on whether you are taking a early, mid, or late apex but basically the way described above is a good place to start.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:15 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I do think that you should take a novice driving course either with the PDE (www.porschedriving.com) or ones offered by local driving clubs. You REALLY do benefit from educational driving courses such as these.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:09 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Never Lift

Old 03-10-2007, 02:29 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Skidding and sliding is not bad if doing so w/ control and smoothness.
If necessary, brake and downshift in straight line right before the turn. Start turning then slightly squeeze the gas thru the turn. Straight out the steering wheel upon exiting the apex and throttle straight away...

Practice squeezing and lifting off the pedals smoothly...

Last edited by vincentdds; 03-10-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:30 PM
E36M is infamous around these parts
Just find a nice parking lot and practice, that's the only way you can learn.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:49 PM
996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Trundle997
My best tip for you is:
Haha I like that look where you want to go. yea those PDE Schools would be sweet to show how to drive our BEASTS

Old 03-10-2007, 10:25 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
They dont have any 4wd 911's

Old 03-11-2007, 04:51 AM
lamvince is infamous around these partslamvince is infamous around these parts
I did apex tho, Maybe because I entered a turn too quickly?

Amazing to see how a corvette could handle it faster and smoother tho.

May be a lil bump on the road or it is just my driving.

Anyways, thanks guys and please give more comments

Old 03-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Alex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by lamvince
I found this funny that a corvette that my friend drives can do this at a faster speed, and better.
It's the driver, NOT the car.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:08 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
Well, what Porsche are you driving, with what mods, and on what tires, and same question for the Vette? It's possible that the Vette may have more grip than the Porsche.

Assuming we're comparing stock to stock, though, the most likely explanation is that you didn't settle the front end immediately prior to turn-in, and found yourself understeering horribly. In a 911, you'll find that you go into a corner a little slower, so lift off the gas just before you begin to turn in, or even go in on the brakes if you're a little braver. This will keep the front end glued down. 911s are rear-engined, so you need to keep some weight on the front for turn-in. Once you do this, however, you'll find that you can apply more throttle at an earlier point in the corner than you can in pretty much any other car, and exit the corner much more quickly.

It's a fallacy to say "911s oversteer". Most of the time, you'll be fighting understeer, but you can always get snap oversteer if you try hard enough.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:05 PM
E36M is infamous around these parts
I did apex tho, Maybe because I entered a turn too quickly?

May be a lil bump on the road or it is just my driving.

Anyways, thanks guys and please give more comments
Sliding the car is not the fastest or the smoothest way around a turn. And all cars are eually smooth. The only thing that can change the smoothenss of a car is the driver. Just remember to be smooth, the smoother and slower your inputs are through the steering, brakes, and throttle, the smoother and faster the car will go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving Techniques