997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Important - DO NOT put 315's in rears!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:20 PM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
Would That Be The Same For 996tt ?
Never Heard Dif. Clutches Burning Before...

Old 03-11-2007, 11:34 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
sorry to hear that FRED hope everything goes OK with your car

Old 03-11-2007, 11:36 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
As a general rule, you want to keep your tire rotational speed identical to the stock speed, and in effect proportionally stock tire height for the front and rear wheels. If you don't, the difference in tire circumference and hence wheel speed will quickly start roasting diffs.

The width of the tire doesn't matter. The overall height of the tire does. You can run 315/25/19 rear tires just fine, but you will need to size the front ones appropriately. I believe the closest you could get with commonly available tire sizes in 19" would be a 265/30/19 in the front. It would still be slightly slower than the stock front wheel speed, but much less so than 315's and 235's.

Alternatively, you could just rip the AWD system out and run whatever you want.
that's what I think the width should not cause any problems. I think the main thing is the diameter of the tire and it has to be as high as the front

Old 03-11-2007, 11:39 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
4% rolling dia, 15% total suspension geometry is max tolerence within spec on a 997TT/996TT/C4S awd system. Probably magnified a bit in the all electronic 997TT version.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:28 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I foresaw this problem when I was spec'ing out tires to run 18" wheels on the track. Divide the dia of the front tire by the rear and you get a percentage. Try to keep very close to that ratio and you'll be OK. My Hoosier track tires are smaller in diameter than stock - 24.8" vs 25.5" front, 25.6" vs 26.3" rear. Ratio-wise, the Hoosiers are 97.2% of the front and 97.3% of the rear. This has been close enough as not to disturb the differential, ABS, and stability programs.

Last edited by eclou; 03-12-2007 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Simba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
I think the main thing is the diameter of the tire and it has to be as high as the front
The stock tire diameters are actually different. 25.5" for the front, and 26.3" for the rear (using PS2's as a model). The trick is keeping the relative wheel speed the same, as that's how the diffs are geared to work.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:38 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fredttx50
Hi guys,

More to follow but my car is in the shop as I have an over heated front differential clutch. This is not the actuall clutch, but a clutch in the differential. (this showed up while looking for fault codes). It shows up on the computer as an overheated clutch.

Porsche is looking into this but the preliminary diagnosis is that it seems to be related to the height of the rear tire, in relation to front/rear tire size. The front tire height is the same as stock, the rears are an inch shorter, which seems to have burnt out the clutch in the front diff.. They are saying that difference can definitely burn the clutch and is not warrantable.

Therefore I am going back to stock tires sizes.

More to follow but you might want to hesitate on going with 315's at this moment.

Thanks!

Sorry to hear about the problems. I always use the tire size calculator at www.101tire.com to give me some guidance. I'm assuming you're running 315/25-19 and those are the ones giving you problems. When you plug in these numbers at 1010tire you get a warning that the tire size diameter differences are too great - 3.8% difference. I'm running 325/25-20 on a C4S and when I plug in this size the difference is only 0.7% - so far I haven't gotten any warnings with this setup.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:19 PM
NormanM is infamous around these parts
Could not find the tire size calculator could you post the direct link
>?

Old 03-12-2007, 03:23 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NormanM
Could not find the tire size calculator could you post the direct link

It would have helped if I had typed it correctly the first time. I also use the offset calculator often.
>?
http://www.1010tire.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Old 03-13-2007, 12:00 AM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
Yeesh...good luck.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:31 PM
ANUBIS is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear that Fred, but thank you for that important note. Cheers.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:54 PM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
Hi everyone,
Well the car is now fixed!!! Brian will give a full write up.

I will post pics tomorrow with the new goodies added on too ;-)

Old 03-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
See it was all a BS excuse for a shop visit to mod.....

Old 03-14-2007, 05:10 PM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Correct me if I'm wrong but 315 is the width... What does the width have to do with the heighth of the tire?

Before everyone starts removing their 315's someone needs to clarify what you are saying.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:53 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, this thread would be more helpful if the make and size of the tires were specified.

Does anybody know if there would be similar problems for the 996's models? I'm guess it would be ok because we have mechanical diffs?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Important - DO NOT put 315's in rears!!!!