997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

When Is The 998 Hitting The Streets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 05:00 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Hi guys, don't worry, this was all done just for a laugh. I understand it is a repost too, sorry. Anyhow when I purchased my corvette c5 back in 1997 i bought a book called "All Corvettes are Red" by Jim Shaftner and every concievable schetch like this one filled a dozen or so pages but looked nothing like the finish product. Just wanted a good laugh, that photo looks more like a space saucer rather than a car. What is interesting in the article (autospies.com) is the timing of its introduction. According to what he has heard at Porsche is that it may come sooner than expected depending on how successful sales figures go in the next few years with the 997 GT3, and the base Carerra. An unexpected drop in sales could force Porsche to introduce the 998 earlier. Thats obvious I know but in 2009? .......not gonna happen.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:13 PM
jwa
jwa is infamous around these parts
Well IF the 997 is a test mule, then that would explain why they are releasing all the models so fast. I mean with the 996 the turbo didn't come out until 3 (?) years after the carrera, and the tt cab didn't come out till 3 years ofter the coupe. It seems the 997 releases are pretty quick.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
I like it!

Old 03-22-2007, 05:52 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Redlinerobert
I like it!
you like anything with two *****!

Old 03-22-2007, 06:28 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
The Audi R8 didn't do anything to deter Porsche from making a more dramatic change in the 997-998 transition than the 996 to 997.

They have to. The 997 looks classic... almost too classic.
I agree, I love the performance measures and interior of the 997 but I dont like the retro headlights. (The GT3 is an exception, that car is stunning) I like the muscular look of the turbo but I hate the wheels and front fascia.

I dont think they can modernize the same style anymore than has been done. I actually really like that picture but it does look like it would come out like a crossfire if it was produced. I'm not calling for an overhaul, BUT PLEASE NO MORE RETRO STYLING, the style itself is already retro.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
Flame me, but I like it. If you can forget about the Crossfire references and consider how Porsche can improve on the 997 design we have to ask: Where can they go from here? The price, caliber & looks of its competitors have certainly improved. And the R8…damn…what will that thing look like several generations from now?<O</O
<O</O

Lower, wider, mid-engine maybe? Imagine a flat 8, V8, or the CGT’s V10 under the bonnet; and those wheel wells filled with similar sized rims & tires from the Veyron… <O</O

Old 03-23-2007, 10:51 PM
turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !
man we haven't even gotten the "refreshed" 997 and you guys are already speculating about the 998

Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zeus
Flame me, but I like it. If you can forget about the Crossfire references and consider how Porsche can improve on the 997 design we have to ask: Where can they go from here? The price, caliber & looks of its competitors have certainly improved. And the R8…damn…what will that thing look like several generations from now?<O</O
<O</O

Lower, wider, mid-engine maybe? Imagine a flat 8, V8, or the CGT’s V10 under the bonnet; and those wheel wells filled with similar sized rims & tires from the Veyron… <O</O
Here's why the classic 911 "sucked-on lozenge" shape will continue:

Many people (myself included) grew up entranced by that classic shape, having to wait years and years to get one. By the time we're old enough (following your example above), the shape we love wouldn't exist (think Mustang or Corvette). Imagine if you could have a real, old-style Mustange with modern mechanicals and dynamics? I think that would be killer (the new is still too diluted to be "retro").

Long story short - the shape is desirable to some 5 yr old who will want to buy the same shape when he's 35.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Here's why the classic 911 "sucked-on lozenge" shape will continue:

Many people (myself included) grew up entranced by that classic shape, having to wait years and years to get one. By the time we're old enough (following your example above), the shape we love wouldn't exist (think Mustang or Corvette). Imagine if you could have a real, old-style Mustange with modern mechanicals and dynamics? I think that would be killer (the new is still too diluted to be "retro").

Long story short - the shape is desirable to some 5 yr old who will want to buy the same shape when he's 35.

That’s a very good point. Perhaps it’s my feelings of our car culture in general that leads me to want to make radical changes in even something as “classic” as the 911’s shape.

<O</OBut I can’t help but feel overwhelmed nearly every time I turn on the Computer, TV or Radio and find out that design, engineering & horsepower have again been advanced to the next level. Perhaps we can all agree that the next Carrera GT (if there is one) can afford a more radical departure in design from the current model, following function of course…<O</O

Old 03-24-2007, 01:12 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
I think porsche offer more Wheels for the 997TT, Like the 996 where you could order the car with the GT3 Wheels straight from the factory.

The 998 Variant might show up around late 09-10.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:51 AM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
My dealer said I am 1st on the list for the 998. Putting a deposit on monday.

Aloha

Byron

Old 03-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zeus
Perhaps we can all agree that the next Carrera GT (if there is one) can afford a more radical departure in design from the current model, following function of course…<O</O
I totally agree with that - Porsche should be VERY adventurous with their one-off models. Experiment with different designs, engine placement, etc. Also, the Cayenne re-do should have been more adventurous. The 911 is the one model that should evolve slowly...

Old 03-24-2007, 12:05 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
So long as the performance / price is on par with or exceeds that of the competition Im A ok with the course Porsche has taken so far.

The E92 M3 w/ its 8300 rpm 420hp V8 surely deserves a direct answer from Porsche in the form of more power in the 997 and 997S. I know, I know, its not all about 0-60 or 1/4 mile stats but lets face it, those stats get plenty of magazine time and when used the right way sell cars - especially to first time buyers anyways.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:13 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
So long as the performance / price is on par with or exceeds that of the competition Im A ok with the course Porsche has taken so far.

The E92 M3 w/ its 8300 rpm 420hp V8 surely deserves a direct answer from Porsche in the form of more power in the 997 and 997S. I know, I know, its not all about 0-60 or 1/4 mile stats but lets face it, those stats get plenty of magazine time and when used the right way sell cars - especially to first time buyers anyways.
They will still be around the same speed, the M3 will probably run 12.5 - 12.7 in the 1/4 and mid 4 sec 0-60 slightly faster but not by much than the 997.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:23 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Its going to be a good article, you know all the mags are excited for that comparo every 6-7 years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: When Is The 998 Hitting The Streets?