997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

E60 M5 v. 997TT: Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:23 PM
intouch1 is infamous around these parts
no way an M5 will pull with a 997 turbo. not even a modded one did as when compared by gustav......

997 is in a different league. m5 is certainly a great car and fantastic for what it is.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:23 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by NoRoom4Error
At least I have the ***** to post what I drive... even if it is a Prius.
For the record, I also have a Civic Hybrid.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:48 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Hybrid owner here too, Civic. Keeps me sane on the way to work and back!

Old 03-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
nice candid assessment between the two

well done

Old 03-30-2007, 06:17 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
Ok great! I'm not sure what to do with this valuable info...
his info is a lot more meaningful than many of the junk posts and comments

Old 03-30-2007, 11:49 PM
ReconTrojan is infamous around these parts
At least I have the ***** to post what I drive... even if it is a Prius.
A sad definition of your manhood then!

Old 03-31-2007, 12:00 AM
Secure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ReconTrojan
A sad definition of your manhood then!
6 posts and you are already making friends.......

Old 03-31-2007, 12:08 AM
I never try and define anyone by post count on any board....if the poster wants to define his manhood by touting the car he drives even if its a Porsche than I stand by my comment.

His first comment to the person starting the thread was stupid, but did add to his post count which is something you seem to hold in esteem. Too bad.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:08 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by chrisn
I just picked up my 997TT this week and thought I'd share some initial impressions.

First a caveat: this is my first Turbo car, and it is not broken in. I have tried to stay at least 1K below redline, and my shifting is not as fast/smooth as it could be.

In a nutshell: I think the TT is about as fast as the M5-- but not a ton faster.

M5, when going 60MPH in 3rd if you hammer it, the power is on instantly and it pulls steady to the redline.

In the TT, same situation, you get a smaller initial burst of power, which builds as the boost builds, but full TQ/boost only last for a brief time (especially when not running all the way to redline). Certainly higher peak TQ, but doesn't feel a ton faster. And, for me, the peaky TQ makes that car feel less composed. Maybe I just need to get used to this.

Last night, my brother and I did several head-to-head rolling pulls in 3rd and 4th. These tests confirmed my impression: neither car could really pull that hard on the other.

I acknowledge that Gustav's videos show a different outcome, and that the TT when broken in and driven harder should ultimately be a bit faster.

Nonetheless, the bottom line for me is that the stock TT is not (and very likely will not ever be) noticably faster.

Obviously there are ton of other factors, and I love the Turbo, but I just wanted to pass along the thought that, in a straight line, the M5 holds its own very very well.

I will re-do these tests in a few weeks after full break in and then again after getting my Stage III kit put on the Turbo.
i disagree. the fact that you have not broken it in makes a HUGE HUGE difference! looking at gustavs vid this is the telling tale of how it goes. theres a couple vids i have seen where a 997S pulls away from an e60 m5 but the m5 picks up at high high mph. also, the way you drive it has to do with it obv, as any car can be faster than any depending on driving and shifting. the real thing to look for is the trap speeds on these two cars. going just from magazine times i have seen 123 mph in a bone stock non broken in turbo. on a bone stock m5 i have seen 116 mph so the 997TT is actually SIGNIFICANTLY faster than an m5, 7 mph trap is a lifetime in terms of trap speed. think about it this way, even a stock 996TT have seen trap 118+ so its closer to a 996TT in performance but still not quite as fast.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:22 AM
Secure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ReconTrojan
I never try and define anyone by post count on any board....if the poster wants to define his manhood by touting the car he drives even if its a Porsche than I stand by my comment.

His first comment to the person starting the thread was stupid, but did add to his post count which is something you seem to hold in esteem. Too bad.
I am my post count and dont you forget it!
Too bad you werent around for rep points.....that was a whole nother ball of wax. What do you drive btw? RS4?

Old 03-31-2007, 12:43 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I think whoever was driving the 997 turbo needs lessons. In no shape or form should an E60 M5 be even with a 997TT, in fact the M5 should be even with the 996TT. That or something is wrong with your turbo, even in break in the M5 should get raped anywhere under 120 mph, the M's are a beast over 100 so if it was even it would be here.

I havent driven a 997 turbo but I have driven several 996's and if you had said an M6 I might have thought about buying that because they have proven to be slightly faster.

Last edited by heavychevy; 03-31-2007 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:45 AM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Secure
6 posts and you are already making friends.......
If he drives an RS4 he's my friend

In fact, you're all my friends

... except for that prius guy

Old 03-31-2007, 07:52 AM
stealth is infamous around these parts
I can see how the M5 might feel faster than it is- in comparison. With the M5 you get to enjoy every gear's acceleration for a longer time and then get a bone jarring shift onto the next sweet spot-without lifting. The tt is so linear and the revs eat the gears so fast, that you have little time to notice the progress being made speedwise. But do not be mistaken. The TT IS faster. As John said, you will see the best acceleration after 4k RPM's. And of course, the TT feels much lighter in the curves.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:02 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by stealth
I can see how the M5 might feel faster than it is- in comparison. With the M5 you get to enjoy every gear's acceleration for a longer time and then get a bone jarring shift onto the next sweet spot-without lifting. The tt is so linear and the revs eat the gears so fast, that you have little time to notice the progress being made speedwise. But do not be mistaken. The TT IS faster. As John said, you will see the best acceleration after 4k RPM's. And of course, the TT feels much lighter in the curves.
Well put.........and...if you keep trying to race these tts like normal aspirated M-cars...good luck, but you'll always get smoked. These tt-beasts for max acceleration take a lot more focus than atmos-Mcars, especially with such a limited power 4300-6700 rev-window. but once you master the technique, stay razor-sharp focused, all the M-cars get/stay smoked regardless of the road-speed they're raced from..

Old 03-31-2007, 09:10 PM
I drive a RS4 and a E30 M3.

Yes I know all about ratings, my college football board had them for 3 weeks until it imploded.

The internet does strange things to people.

Nice to meet you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E60 M5 v. 997TT: Initial Impressions