997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

E60 M5 v. 997TT: Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:21 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I think whoever was driving the 997 turbo needs lessons. In no shape or form should an E60 M5 be even with a 997TT, in fact the M5 should be even with the 996TT. That or something is wrong with your turbo, even in break in the M5 should get raped anywhere under 120 mph, the M's are a beast over 100 so if it was even it would be here.

I havent driven a 997 turbo but I have driven several 996's and if you had said an M6 I might have thought about buying that because they have proven to be slightly faster.
an m6 faster than a 997TT?

Old 03-31-2007, 09:25 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I think whoever was driving the 997 turbo needs lessons. In no shape or form should an E60 M5 be even with a 997TT, in fact the M5 should be even with the 996TT. That or something is wrong with your turbo, even in break in the M5 should get raped anywhere under 120 mph, the M's are a beast over 100 so if it was even it would be here.

I havent driven a 997 turbo but I have driven several 996's and if you had said an M6 I might have thought about buying that because they have proven to be slightly faster.
u meant that an m6 can keep up with and possibly beat a 996TT correct? because m6s trap like 117-118 and thats enough to keep up with a 996TT and its a drivers race, but in NO WAY will it even keep up with a 997TT. there was a test from R&T and they tested the two side by side, and they proved that each run just as fast except the m6 traps 1-2 mph more, but still not enough to even keep pace with a 997TT.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:48 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
From a rolling start there are too many variables such as powerband and jumping the start not to mention shifting. After breaking in try a couple of time and swich drives and try again. The 997T should walk on the M5 since it's lighter.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:21 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
u meant that an m6 can keep up with and possibly beat a 996TT correct? because m6s trap like 117-118 and thats enough to keep up with a 996TT and its a drivers race, but in NO WAY will it even keep up with a 997TT. there was a test from R&T and they tested the two side by side, and they proved that each run just as fast except the m6 traps 1-2 mph more, but still not enough to even keep pace with a 997TT.
I didnt mention trap speeds because we are talking about highway runs and an M car would be a stock turbos nemesis because where the turbos have the tendency to fall flat, the M's shine. The longer gearing and higher revving motor of the M6 would pull the turbo at some point, I would think after 130 or so. The M6 IS faster than a 996 turbo on the highway, the AWD helps keep the 1/4 mile times close but after 100 the stock 996tt will get walked.

THE M6 CAN KEEP UP WITH AND POSSIBLY BEAT A 997 TURBO in a 60-130!
I know what I meant to say.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:38 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Fun thread. I appreciate all the comments. For me, the main point is: my not-broken-in-yet TT is not significantly better in the "subjective feeling of raw power" category and, in a real world test, doesn't blow away the M5 at all (in fact, M5 is on the power a bit faster)

Off the line, no one is arguing that the M5 has a chance. On the racetrack I fully expect the TT to smoke the fat Bimmer (otherwise I have just wasted a lot of money). I was just commenting on the butt dyno results. I am not going to race people on the freeway everyday (if ever), so the subjective feeling of power is what I value.

Although the stock TT is no slouch, I would not say that it is "in a different league" in that category.

I will def post my impressions post break-in and post Stage III. If the results aren't different then, I may have a low mileage Cobalt TT to sell.....

Last edited by chrisn; 04-01-2007 at 02:49 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:25 AM
franki68 is infamous around these parts
This is silly stuff,I changed from an m6 to 997tt and before that had 997s and prior to that a 996tt..an m6 is significantly faster than a 997s all over .When I got my 997tt I posted on here that it is not as fast as the m6 was at high speeds..in fact above 120mph an m6 is actually faster.Autocar did a test on top speed runs a while back on a drag strip and the m6 acvhieved a higher speed than the 997tt in the same distance )same test conditions,same driver etc)
From, a standing start the turbo kills a m6 which would still be struggling to put its power down ,but you would be a fool to race an m6 at higher speeds.
Show them some twisties though and the turbo would walk all over the m6 (btw I am using an m6 as an example but you could replace with an m5 as they are near identical in performance terms,the m6 has a very very slight edge).
The guy who has posted the original post has made comments that most of the people i know who have gone from a m5 or m6 to 997tt have agreed with ,you can talk all you want about times on a drag strip but they do not represent what will happen on a highway when cruising at 80mph and finding an m6 behind you.
The Porsche is a significantly better car in my opinion ,and will cover ground at a pace no other road car I have experienced can match..especially here with tight twisting fun roads,but give the Bmw M cars some respect they are awesome machines and very very fast in a straight line.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:12 AM
idivethesea is infamous around these parts
Franki68/Chrisn, you guys are scaring me man I ordered the TT because of the handling and low end torque, I don't spend anytime over 100, so I'm assuming I will see a big difference between the two cars. I sure hope I got it right.

My 5 has been damn near perfect, but I have to admit you need to drive like a mad man to feel like your pushing the limits, it's just a bit to tame, but no way I'm selling it. I'm hoping the turbo fills the gap.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:18 AM
cooperlee is infamous around these parts
i just ran a M5 (with exhaust) yesterday on my way home from work on an open stretch of hwy from 50-160. I had him by about 10 car lengths (2 runs) by the time i reached 160. But I have ECU tune and Exhaust. ahhahahahahahahahaha

no doubt these two cars would be quite close stock to stock but completion two different type of beasts. cheers

Old 04-01-2007, 10:04 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
May 2007 R/T issue has table on p145 showing tt 0-60 at 3.3 and M5 at 4.1 sec which is quite a difference (IMO)

Old 04-01-2007, 10:40 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
He's talking about quarter mile times not 0-60 times.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:38 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
tt comes out on top 1/4 mile

Originally Posted by atomic80
He's talking about quarter mile times not 0-60 times.
R/T issue has 1/4 mile times too, tt: 11.6 sec at 118.3 , M5 12.4 sec at 115.8.....Again a fairly large difference.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:41 AM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnww
R/T issue has 1/4 mile times too, tt: 11.6 sec at 118.3 , M5 12.4 sec at 115.8.....Again a fairly large difference.
Not really... ignoring the et, which we should given that we're comparing a 3500lb AWD car vs a 4000lb RWD car, obvisouly the TT will spank the M5 off the line which is where a majority of the difference in time comes from. But 115.8 vs 118.3 is not that big of a difference. That's closer than the TT is to the Z06

Old 04-01-2007, 12:02 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by dr_sharp
But 115.8 vs 118.3 is not that big of a difference. That's closer than the TT is to the Z06
That's my whole point: Stock for stock, these two cars are not that different in straight-line speed from a roll. I assume that the TT is "faster"-- but just marginally and not enough to influence the "fun factor" of cruising around in a fast car, IMHO.

Also, note that the M5 costs 1/3 less.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Salespunk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ReconTrojan
I drive a RS4 and a E30 M3.

Yes I know all about ratings, my college football board had them for 3 weeks until it imploded.

The internet does strange things to people.

Nice to meet you.
Very nice garage!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:07 PM
turbonator is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnww
Well put.........and...if you keep trying to race these tts like normal aspirated M-cars...good luck, but you'll always get smoked. These tt-beasts for max acceleration take a lot more focus than atmos-Mcars, especially with such a limited power 4300-6700 rev-window. but once you master the technique, stay razor-sharp focused, all the M-cars get/stay smoked regardless of the road-speed they're raced from..
It's all relative. I have an M3 now and one needs to keep the revs up there to get good acceleration. BMW M engines rev high but have relatively less low end torque. It's all about keeping whatever car you drive in the powerband at all times.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E60 M5 v. 997TT: Initial Impressions