997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

E60 M5 v. 997TT: Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I dont disagree with you at all scott, especially up to 120 mph or so but 8.4 - 8.8 is not a big difference at those speeds and I would bet that most of that distance came before 100 mph. The turbo owns either up to 120 mph but it's also arguable that it's about even with a Z06 up to about 100 mph going from a dig at least. I have a best motoring video of a Z06 and 007 TT 1/4 mile and the turbo gets a better launch and just walks away from the Z, but I've also seen the opposite, in the case of the M6 vs TT it would be less likely but after 100-115 I would consider them about even.
Des,

I honestly don't mean for this to come across as sarcastic, but you did see the video, right? The one of the M6 vs the 997TT? Those cars went from 50 kph (31 mph) up to 250 kph (155 mph) and the 997TT was still pulling ahead. The M6 had absolutely no chance of catching up regardless of how fast they went.

I'm aware of how AWD cars will typically fall off at a certain speed relative to a RWD car at the same weight, HP and torque...but the 997TT has a TON more torque than the M5 and M6. The AWD drivetrain is really a non-issue in this particular comparison.

Here's the vid of the M6 vs the 997TT, again. Watch how the 997 continues to pull and pull and pull on the M6...all the way to 155 mph.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QmIkQnTzw...related&search=

After you watch that, watch this video of a stock M6 vs a stock M5 on the same track, same day. That should give you an idea how much faster the 997TT is than a stock M5:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PP2kyU9u3jc

Here's a vid of a stock 997TT vs a 562 HP Kelleners modified M5 (cams, cats and ECU). Again, this race is to 155 mph (997TT driver mis-shifts 1st race. Be sure to watch both races). The Kelleners M5 does finally does start catching up at around 140 or so...but it takes a modified car with 55 extra HP to do it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dG0knICW_bs

Last, here's the same 562 HP modifed Kelleners M5 vs a stock M5 so you can see the difference:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2d0L-X1sUNk

Now, after seeing all of these videos....do you honestly still believe a stock E60 M5 will beat a stock 997TT, at any speed?

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 04-05-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:52 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by chrisn
OK. I'll just say it one last time: (i) TT doesn't "feel" any faster than M5, (ii) it is empiracally not faster if not pushed really hard and (iii) I don't think will ever (in stock form) be "significantly faster". (Defined by me as that subjective rush you get when you nail it and feel the raw power).

Note carefully that I never claimed the M5 is faster-- it's not. But-- and this is the part that was importnt to me-- if you are moving from an M5/M6 to a 997TT expecting to get that "holy sh*t, this is crazy fast" feeling all over again, you will be dissappointed. They are both crazy fast on an absolute scale, but the TT is not crazy fast compared to the M-cars.

That's all I'm saying. Look, I'm the one who bought and loves the 997TT......although I have now decided to defintely keep the M5.
i hate to nit pick here but you are kind of asking for it. you say the turbo isnt fast is you dont push it, but the same can be said of any car, especially the m cars. if you dont keep the m cars up in the rpm range, they are DOGS, a 997TT makes all of its tq from around 1800-2100 rpm with or without overboost on. an m5 and m6 dont even make within 50 lb/ft of pk tq as the 997TT. its also ironic that you call an m5 crazy fast when its not faster than a stock 996TT let alone a 997TT. also, 997TTs have run as low as 11.4 in bone stock form and thats over a full second faster in the 1/4 mile than the best time posted (that i have seen) for an m5.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:58 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
I dont disagree with you at all scott, especially up to 120 mph or so but 8.4 - 8.8 is not a big difference at those speeds and I would bet that most of that distance came before 100 mph. The turbo owns either up to 120 mph but it's also arguable that it's about even with a Z06 up to about 100 mph going from a dig at least. I have a best motoring video of a Z06 and 007 TT 1/4 mile and the turbo gets a better launch and just walks away from the Z, but I've also seen the opposite, in the case of the M6 vs TT it would be less likely but after 100-115 I would consider them about even. AWD cars fall off pretty drastically after 100 which is why you can see similar ET's and less mph for a AWD.
BUT 997TTs have trapped well into the 120's already. the best ive seen for an m5/m6 is 118 and no car is better on the top end AWD than a Porsche. remember, under most conditions 95% goes to the back wheels, and i believe in the new AWD system in the 997TT 100% of the power can go to the rears, so not much if any loss due to awd on the trap speed. thats why the 997TT will outmatch most rwd cars with similar hp and weight when it comes to trap speed.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:14 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Des,

I don't mean this to be sarcastic, but you did see the vid, right? The one of the M6 vs the 997TT? Those cars went from 50 kph (31 mph) up to 250 kph (155 mph) and the 997TT was still pulling ahead. The M6 had absolutely no chance of catching up regardless of how fast they went.

I'm aware of how AWD cars will typically fall off at a certain speed relative to a RWD car at thew same weight, HP and torque...but the 997TT has a TON more torque than the M5 and M6. The AWD drivetrain is really non-issue in this particular comparison.

Here's the vid again. Watch how the 997 continues to pull and pull and pull...all the way to 155 + mph.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QmIkQnTzw...related&search=

After you watch that, watch this video of a stock M6 vs a stock M5 on the same track, same day. That should give you an idea how much faster the 997TT is than a stock M5:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PP2kyU9u3jc

Last, here's a vid of a stock 997TT vs a 562 HP Kelleners M5. Again, this race is to 155 mph (997TT driver mis-shifts 1st race. Be sure to watch both races):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dG0knICW_bs

Now, after seeing all of these videos....do you honestly still beleive a stock M5 will beat a stock 997TT at any speed?

I mentioned before that the only way I would beleive anything is if it were an M6, I dont buy the M5 argument at all. If you have owned an M car you would understand that they seem to pull as hard at 100 as they do at 60. It's unexplainable. I have raced my friends M6 in my turbo (125 mph trap) which is at least equal, probably greater than a 997 TT and didnt pull him like I thought I would and that was in 3rd gear and I know that 4th and 5th gear are monsters infact e39 M5's were dynoed in 5th gear.

I honestly think and M6 would pull on a 997 TT after 120, honestly I do. I wish we knew someone here to compare.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:20 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
BUT 997TTs have trapped well into the 120's already. the best ive seen for an m5/m6 is 118 and no car is better on the top end AWD than a Porsche. remember, under most conditions 95% goes to the back wheels, and i believe in the new AWD system in the 997TT 100% of the power can go to the rears, so not much if any loss due to awd on the trap speed. thats why the 997TT will outmatch most rwd cars with similar hp and weight when it comes to trap speed.
Are you talking about Motor Trend trapping that because I have done lots of searches and havent found one person here with a stock 997 TT that's trapped a 120. And where is the 11.2 that the magazines ran? havent seen that either. This car was touted to be able to beat the Z06 and the only place I've seen that happen was the best motoring video and it won with an 11.9 to a 12.1. EVOMS trapped 117 and that wasnt even at a track. I know the percentages but if we took a poll here most would tell you that turbos especially 996 fall off after 100 mph. And judging from all the "I'm dissapointed in my 997 turbo" threads I would assume the 997 does too.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Am I not being clear here? Anyone?

I mentioned before that the only way I would beleive anything is if it were an M6, I dont buy the M5 argument at all. If you have owned an M car you would understand that they seem to pull as hard at 100 as they do at 60. It's unexplainable.
Des,

LOL...I've owned three M cars. 2 E46 M3's and a E39 M5. Look at my sig. I had the record for the fastest 1/4 mile time in a E46 M3 for over a year. Only two guys have beaten me since, and they both were using NOS (I wasn't). I've also been a moderator on M3forum, the world's largest M3 forum, for the last 3 years. I'm extremely familiar with M cars.
Originally Posted by HeavyChevy
I honestly think an M6 would pull on a 997 TT after 120, honestly I do. I wish we knew someone here to compare.
Des....you're messing me with me right? Are you even reading my posts? The comparison you are asking for has already been posted twice in this thread. We have posted a video of a stock M6 racing a stock 997TT up to 155 mph....2 seperate times now. It is clear in the video that the M6 is not pulling after 120 mph, nor is it even catching up.

BELOW IS THE VID OF A STOCK M6 (NOT an M5)VS A STOCK 997TT UP TO 155 MPH:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QmIkQnTzw...related&search

After you watch the vid, please go back and read the below post word for word. You're killing me, here. Thanks.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...1&postcount=76

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 04-05-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Are you talking about Motor Trend trapping that because I have done lots of searches and havent found one person here with a stock 997 TT that's trapped a 120. And where is the 11.2 that the magazines ran? havent seen that either. This car was touted to be able to beat the Z06 and the only place I've seen that happen was the best motoring video and it won with an 11.9 to a 12.1. EVOMS trapped 117 and that wasnt even at a track. I know the percentages but if we took a poll here most would tell you that turbos especially 996 fall off after 100 mph. And judging from all the "I'm dissapointed in my 997 turbo" threads I would assume the 997 does too.
ok, then owners are getting about 117, i have only seen 113-114 for m5s and m6s by owners.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Scott,

No need to get your panties in a wad, my beleifs wont consider a video over what I've seen in person. I'll find a 997 turbo here to race my homeboy's M6 (which has trapped 118) and we'll see then. This is the internet bro, knuckleheads galore, and I'm as hardheaded as they get.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Scott,

No need to get your panties in a wad, my beleifs wont consider a video over what I've seen in person. This is the internet bro, knuckleheads galore, and I'm as hardheaded as they get.
I hear you, Dez...but we definitely see things differently. My thought process is based on analysis and logic...so your implication about it not being true if it's on video is very confusing to me.

What about a 1/4 mile run that's been videotaped; do you need to be there in person to know the time is correct? Or a street race video that you come across; because you weren't in the one of the cars during the race, is it not an accurate representation of what occurred? Or the Planet Pluto; does it not exist because you've only seen it in pictures and video, and not up close and in person?

Let us know how the race goes. Hopefully it will be as controlled and accurate as M5board.com's races were.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 04-05-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:32 AM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
...I've also been a moderator on M3forum, the world's largest M3 forum, for the last 3 years. I'm extremely familiar with M cars.
lol i saw you post on the m3 boards the other day and i was like whoah holy !#*$ i've seen that guy b4!!!!!!!1!!!

It's a small internet

Old 04-06-2007, 02:29 AM
I hear you, Dez...but we definitely see things differently. My thought process is based on analysis and logic...so your implication about it not being true if it's on video is very confusing to me.

What about a 1/4 mile run that's been videotaped; do you need to be there in person to know the time is correct? Or a street race video that you come across; because you weren't in the one of the cars during the race, is it not an accurate representation of what occurred? Or the Planet Pluto; does it not exist because you've only seen it in pictures and video, and not up close and in person?

Let us know how the race goes. Hopefully it will be as controlled and accurate as M5board.com's races were.
since you wont leave it alone

First of all Scott this is the internet,
how many times has a car been "stock" before the race ?
how many street racers only have "exhaust" ?
how many models are all exactly the same speed?
(bone stock at MIR Ranger ran 127 mph while other guys 124 125 and 126 (how many carlengths is that????????, the fastest stock turbo I've seen was a magazine 121 mph the fastest M6 I've seen in person 118 so could it be that a M6 could keep up with a 997 Turbo, even in the 1/4 mile???)

I've seen videos of a TT walking away from a Z06 and that didnt seem too right to me. I've also SEEN my car pull 1 1/2 carlengths on an M6 and my car is trapping 125 which I surely havent seen anywhere from a 997 turbo so you are fighting a losing battle, your videos against my real life experience. That's the difference. Still havent seen owner with a turbo trap more than 117, which is 1 mph slower than the M6 in question. So that would mean that there are obviously some turbos that wont walk away from M6's even in the 1/4 mile and it would get worse afterwards. My logic is not based on ignorance my friend but it will be a cold day in hell before I go believing everything I see on the internet.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:54 AM
win
win is infamous around these parts
My logic is not based on ignorance my friend but it will be a cold day in hell before I go believing everything I see on the internet.
"The Internet is the source of all information...
information that people want you to know."

Old 04-06-2007, 07:44 AM
So the fact that I replied to your post means "I'm not leaving it alone?

SNIP..... My logic is not based on ignorance my friend but it will be a cold day in hell before I go believing everything I see on the internet.
Dez - I never said your logic was based on ignorance. I only stated that we see things "differently". I apologize if you incorrectly inferred my meaning. I think you are very intelligent, and far from ignorant.

As I posted before...hopefully your race(s) will be as controlled and accurate as M5board.com's races were. Just be sure NOT to videotape any of the runs...or we'll all know they're bogus (I'm only playing with you, my friend).

P.S. - Remember, if you reply to this post....it means "you are not leaving it alone."

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 04-06-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:58 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Fun thread.

Originally Posted by PorscheC4
i hate to nit pick here but you are kind of asking for it. you say the turbo isnt fast is you dont push it, but the same can be said of any car, especially the m cars. if you dont keep the m cars up in the rpm range, they are DOGS,.....its also ironic that you call an m5 crazy fast when its not faster than a stock 996TT let alone a 997TT
I hear ya, that's why I caveated my statements. I was expecting to see some major "single gear" pulling from the TT with the M5 only catching up when I lifted to at least partially observe the break-in rules. That's not what happened.

Regarding crazy fast, I guess I'm easily impressed. In my defense, 99% of folks in the owlrd would mutter "No F*ing way" if you nail it in an M5/M6 in 2nd or 3rd starting from 6K RPMs--- but this is a tough crowd, I acknowledge.

My only regret now is that I won't have a chance to do a post break-in test v. the M5 before I get my Stage III work done. Maybe I'll get the switcher gizom and re-run with "Stock" ECU program at some point.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:42 PM

First of all Scott this is the internet,
how many times has a car been "stock" before the race ?
how many street racers only have "exhaust" ?
how many models are all exactly the same speed?
(bone stock at MIR Ranger ran 127 mph while other guys 124 125 and 126 (how many carlengths is that????????, the fastest stock turbo I've seen was a magazine 121 mph the fastest M6 I've seen in person 118 so could it be that a M6 could keep up with a 997 Turbo, even in the 1/4 mile???)

I've seen videos of a TT walking away from a Z06 and that didnt seem too right to me. I've also SEEN my car pull 1 1/2 carlengths on an M6 and my car is trapping 125 which I surely havent seen anywhere from a 997 turbo so you are fighting a losing battle, your videos against my real life experience. That's the difference. Still havent seen owner with a turbo trap more than 117, which is 1 mph slower than the M6 in question. So that would mean that there are obviously some turbos that wont walk away from M6's even in the 1/4 mile and it would get worse afterwards. My logic is not based on ignorance my friend but it will be a cold day in hell before I go believing everything I see on the internet.
you are also forgetting that ALL of the turbos tested so far HAVE NOT BEEN BROKEN IN. i have seen 122 mph from a bone stock non broken in turbo from C&D. i have seen a best trap from the m6 of 118 so there is a significant difference there. also, evoms has already gotten the turbo with a few bolt ons and tune to trap close to 130 mph!

Last edited by PorscheC4; 04-06-2007 at 06:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E60 M5 v. 997TT: Initial Impressions