997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

E60 M5 v. 997TT: Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:20 AM
porschester is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chrisn
Post my visit to Sharky, I would agree. but stock-for-stock in a straight line, there's just not that much difference, especially >100MPH. Sorry to break it to you.
HEHEHE YEAH RIGHT!

Old 04-26-2007, 06:59 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Post my visit to Sharky, I would agree. but stock-for-stock in a straight line, there's just not that much difference, especially >100MPH. Sorry to break it to you.
Agreed, i raced one on the autobahn with the r turbo, from 3rd gear to the end of 5th, and there wasnt much in it.

I was very surprised, we are bringing our m5 to germany soon. So i will get some definitive comparisons for everyone

best,
adam

Old 04-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Texas911 is infamous around these parts
My logic is not based on ignorance my friend but it will be a cold day in hell before I go believing everything I see on the internet.
But we're supposed to believe you? Irony.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:28 AM
DaveN007 is infamous around these parts
OK. I'll just say it one last time: (i) TT doesn't "feel" any faster than M5, (ii) it is empiracally not faster if not pushed really hard and (iii) I don't think will ever (in stock form) be "significantly faster". (Defined by me as that subjective rush you get when you nail it and feel the raw power).

Note carefully that I never claimed the M5 is faster-- it's not. But-- and this is the part that was importnt to me-- if you are moving from an M5/M6 to a 997TT expecting to get that "holy sh*t, this is crazy fast" feeling all over again, you will be dissappointed. They are both crazy fast on an absolute scale, but the TT is not crazy fast compared to the M-cars.

That's all I'm saying. Look, I'm the one who bought and loves the 997TT......although I have now decided to defintely keep the M5.
Yeah, right.

My Lear Jet doesn't seem that much faster than my Carrera GT, either. Especialliy when my wife, Morgan Fairchild, is flying it.

Troll.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:52 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
It took an m5 with NITROUS to even keep up with a stock 997TT!!! I wouldn't call that similar speed...

Old 09-05-2007, 01:08 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spyder997s
It took an m5 with NITROUS to even keep up with a stock 997TT!!! I wouldn't call that similar speed...

LOL I hope you arent talking about the 997 TT w/ 700 hp vs 700 nitrous M5 thread, becasue the TT wasnt close to stock. So where are you getting this info.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:40 AM
jerrym is infamous around these parts
Scott is getting a 997 turbo?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:03 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DaveN007
Yeah, right.

My Lear Jet doesn't seem that much faster than my Carrera GT, either. Especialliy when my wife, Morgan Fairchild, is flying it.

Troll.
Great. Now my brother shows up to raise this thread from the grave and ridicule me.

By way of update, after 9K miles on the TT, and after upgrading to full Stage IV kit with 690R program, I will now concede that the TT blows the doors off my basically stock M5 (only "speed" mod is 3.91 diff, which doesn't do a lot).

But.......I gotta tell you that I stand by my initial review that, stock-for-stock, the 997TT is not "in a totally different league" or anything.

The M5 deserves respect. Just last week, I ran into a guy in a new 430 Spider. We did a couple of pulls from 60 to 120ish. Whoever got the jump would win. He clearly was pulling on me and was for sure faster--- but it was close.

On my scientific butt dyno scale of 1 to 10, if the 997TT is a 10 and a F430 is a 9.5, the M5 is like an 8 or 8.5.

-Chris

PS: Hey DaveN007, when you get that 996TT (stock, non-X50), lets race versus the M5 for pink slips. 20 to 150.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:18 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
See the video just above of a 997 tt vs M5, tt wins everytime no problem!

Old 09-05-2007, 11:02 AM
dmoney is infamous around these parts
Doesn't any ony have a magazine article or some kind of professional video showing a stock m5 vs. a stock 997TT to settle this ****. The videos offered so far on this forum are not sufficent to justify all these claims even though I know the TT will crap all over the M5...big time.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:08 AM
DaveN007 is infamous around these parts
Great. Now my brother shows up to raise this thread from the grave and ridicule me.

By way of update, after 9K miles on the TT, and after upgrading to full Stage IV kit with 690R program, I will now concede that the TT blows the doors off my basically stock M5 (only "speed" mod is 3.91 diff, which doesn't do a lot).

But.......I gotta tell you that I stand by my initial review that, stock-for-stock, the 997TT is not "in a totally different league" or anything.

The M5 deserves respect. Just last week, I ran into a guy in a new 430 Spider. We did a couple of pulls from 60 to 120ish. Whoever got the jump would win. He clearly was pulling on me and was for sure faster--- but it was close.

On my scientific butt dyno scale of 1 to 10, if the 997TT is a 10 and a F430 is a 9.5, the M5 is like an 8 or 8.5.

-Chris

PS: Hey DaveN007, when you get that 996TT (stock, non-X50), lets race versus the M5 for pink slips. 20 to 150.
I was driving the M5 that night and agree completely with your assesment. I just thought all of the wailing about you being crazy was hysterical and I had to join the fun.

It is interesting that some prefer Youtube as a source for information over a guy who owns and tracks both cars. Here is Chris in the M5 pushing a Lotus aside at Laguna. (I can hear the chant of "Driver...driver...driver.")

As far as the race is concerned. You are on! I will be driving the M5, right?

I wouldn't bet on the 996TT even after a Stage 1 510 HP mod.

Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2007, 11:28 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DaveN007
I was driving the M5 that night and agree completely with your assesment. I just thought all of the wailing about you being crazy was hysterical and I had to join the fun.

It is interesting that some prefer Youtube as a source for information over a guy who owns and tracks both cars. Here is Chris in the M5 pushing a Lotus aside at Laguna. (I can hear the chant of "Driver...driver...driver.")

As far as the race is concerned. You are on! I will be driving the M5, right?

I wouldn't bet on the 996TT even after a Stage 1 510 HP mod.
LOL, no we prefer real data, as in acceleration data, 1/4 mile times, trap speeds, hp/weight.

Sorry butt dynos dont qualify!!!!

I would take that bet, 996 TT stage 1 510 hp vs stock M5.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:32 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
I know these comments are old...but in response to the post about the M5board vids being rigged...

There is no way in hell Gustav would rig these vids to show an M6 losing to a 997TT. If anything, it'd be the opposite.

I feel that from a dig the 997TT beats the M5 up to 140 or so.
From a low speed roll the 997TT beats the M5 up to 140 or so.
On a much higher speed roll (75ish) the race will be very very close.

M cars love high speeds, the 997TT is more of an all-arounder maybe favoring lower end more than top end.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
I know these comments are old...but in response to the post about the M5board vids being rigged...

There is no way in hell Gustav would rig these vids to show an M6 losing to a 997TT. If anything, it'd be the opposite.

I feel that from a dig the 997TT beats the M5 up to 140 or so.
From a low speed roll the 997TT beats the M5 up to 140 or so.
On a much higher speed roll (75ish) the race will be very very close.

M cars love high speeds, the 997TT is more of an all-arounder maybe favoring lower end more than top end.

My idea of very very close is less than one car length, close is 1-2 lengths, and so on. At 75 the TT would still get away for about 2-3 lengths before leveling out.

And why only up to 140? It will still be ahead long after 140.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:55 PM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by heavychevy
My idea of very very close is less than one car length, close is 1-2 lengths, and so on. At 75 the TT would still get away for about 2-3 lengths before leveling out.

And why only up to 140? It will still be ahead long after 140.
The M5/M6's sweet spot seems to start at about 120mph and it runs better as speeds start to climb.

And sorry, I didn't mean that after 140 the M5 would have the advantage on all runs, I was just talking about 140 because I have no experience with the 997TT after those speeds and I'm not sure that here in the US too many people race over those speeds anyway (yes, plenty of you do but it is very uncommon and dangerous).

Heavychevy, do you believe the 997TT and M6 would be running close with the M6 having the advantage because of the similiar trap speeds and the M's notorious top-end pull? Or have you seen the outcome on the streets? Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E60 M5 v. 997TT: Initial Impressions