997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

E60 M5 v. 997TT: Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
on the streets, any which car that gets even the slightest jump... is going to make it feel very equal esp if the M6 gets the jump.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
i own both cars. believe me, the turbo will walk away from the M5 in any gear at any speed when driven properly. i still love my M5 though, it is truly the best all around daily driver, especially if you have a family!

Old 09-05-2007, 07:01 PM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
The Z06 is the fastest of them all. It is the Chuck Norris of cars.

Originally, the Z06 had stickier tires from the factory but everytime one would launch it would slow the earths rotation so they had to go with run flats... I can't make this stuff up.

My butt dyno says the Z06 is an 11...

Old 09-05-2007, 07:04 PM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
Jesus walked on water, the Z06 swam through land.

No, not quite chuck norris... it doesn't have the same ring.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:07 PM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dr_sharp
Jesus walked on water, the Z06 swam through land.

No, not quite chuck norris... it doesn't have the same ring.
The Z06 will hunt you down and kill your great great grandfather for making comments like that...

Old 09-05-2007, 07:13 PM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tblackj
The Z06 will hunt you down and kill your great great grandfather for making comments like that...
But not with a round-house kick

Old 09-05-2007, 07:14 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tblackj

Old 09-06-2007, 03:38 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
The M5/M6's sweet spot seems to start at about 120mph and it runs better as speeds start to climb.

And sorry, I didn't mean that after 140 the M5 would have the advantage on all runs, I was just talking about 140 because I have no experience with the 997TT after those speeds and I'm not sure that here in the US too many people race over those speeds anyway (yes, plenty of you do but it is very uncommon and dangerous).

Heavychevy, do you believe the 997TT and M6 would be running close with the M6 having the advantage because of the similiar trap speeds and the M's notorious top-end pull? Or have you seen the outcome on the streets? Thanks.

Absolutely, I was one of the original people who said the M6 could keep up with the TT from about 90 on up, and I stand by it 100%. The TT will pull some lengths upon starting but it will all level out between 100 and 120.

I think what you are saying is a little different though, you are comparing max trap speed with minimum trap speed. 118 is high for the M6 and just so-so for the TT (meaning any joe blow anywhere can do it) so from 0-100 or so the TT will pull. But after that the M6 can accelerate at the same pace, so whatever lead the TT has wont get much if any bigger.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:21 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Ok, so what you're saying is that The 911TT will get the initial jump and pretty much pull on the M6 till about 110 (give or take 10mph). From there, the 911TT will just stay ahead and the M6 won't gain or lose any distance. I think that pretty much backs up what happened with the M5board/GTboard video.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:00 AM
caltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to all
We put the M5 (modified) to the test against my 997 TT

Results are in....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEmsl3mjJGQ

We ran these two all day. From a roll on an air strip, from a dead stop on an open airstrip and from a roll on the highway at all speeds and the 997TT (stock by the way) pulled every time....

M5 is one sweet ride and has more room and comfort however over all cornering, breaking and outright speed... 997TT all the way all day long baby....

Last edited by caltex; 09-06-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:21 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Yeah, that about sums it up lol.

Excellent video.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:38 AM
dmoney is infamous around these parts
M5 was - dusted & disgusted...

Old 09-06-2007, 11:57 AM
DaveN007 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by caltex
We put the M5 (modified) to the test against my 997 TT

Results are in....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEmsl3mjJGQ

We ran these two all day. From a roll on an air strip, from a dead stop on an open airstrip and from a roll on the highway at all speeds and the 997TT (stock by the way) pulled every time....

M5 is one sweet ride and has more room and comfort however over all cornering, breaking and outright speed... 997TT all the way all day long baby....
If that was stock, then the difference has to be the fact that my brother was not hammering the Turbo in the prime boost range when it had less than 100 miles on it. He certainly didn't pull on me like that video shows. Did the M5 have the M button pushed? It didn't seem like it.

Pointless now since his car is 610HP on street gas today.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 AM
DaveN007 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dmoney
M5 was - dusted & disgusted...
I think that M5 was the same one you played with. The guy forgot to hit the M button again.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:10 PM
dmoney is infamous around these parts
hey at least you have and excuse now...lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E60 M5 v. 997TT: Initial Impressions