997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

E60 M5 v. 997TT: Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:23 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
E60 M5 v. 997TT: Initial Impressions

I just picked up my 997TT this week and thought I'd share some initial impressions.

First a caveat: this is my first Turbo car, and it is not broken in. I have tried to stay at least 1K below redline, and my shifting is not as fast/smooth as it could be.

In a nutshell: I think the TT is about as fast as the M5-- but not a ton faster.

M5, when going 60MPH in 3rd if you hammer it, the power is on instantly and it pulls steady to the redline.

In the TT, same situation, you get a smaller initial burst of power, which builds as the boost builds, but full TQ/boost only last for a brief time (especially when not running all the way to redline). Certainly higher peak TQ, but doesn't feel a ton faster. And, for me, the peaky TQ makes that car feel less composed. Maybe I just need to get used to this.

Last night, my brother and I did several head-to-head rolling pulls in 3rd and 4th. These tests confirmed my impression: neither car could really pull that hard on the other.

I acknowledge that Gustav's videos show a different outcome, and that the TT when broken in and driven harder should ultimately be a bit faster.

Nonetheless, the bottom line for me is that the stock TT is not (and very likely will not ever be) noticably faster.

Obviously there are ton of other factors, and I love the Turbo, but I just wanted to pass along the thought that, in a straight line, the M5 holds its own very very well.

I will re-do these tests in a few weeks after full break in and then again after getting my Stage III kit put on the Turbo.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 AM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
Ok great! I'm not sure what to do with this valuable info...

Old 03-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Texas911 is infamous around these parts
How about from a standing start? How does that compare?

Old 03-30-2007, 10:41 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by NoRoom4Error
It could save your life someday.

Just sharing what I thought was interesting, but obviously my view is skewed by the excitement of getting a new toy and perhaps some irrational loyalty to my old toy.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Texas911
How about from a standing start? How does that compare?
I am 100% positive that the TT would kill the M5, but I have not done a hard launch yet (maybe post break-in). Low-end TQ on M5 is a joke plus RWD, 500+ extra pounds, etc, etc.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:51 AM
cooperlee is infamous around these parts
i wonder how much stronger this motor pulls after break in mileage? I heard that after a few thousand miles (3000-5000), the motor loosens up more and runs even stronger? any thoughts or experiences on these 997tt?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:04 AM
ReconTrojan is infamous around these parts
Not sure why you are even here.....

Originally Posted by NoRoom4Error
That comment was uncalled for and rather silly. Is there not some leftwing tree-hugger board that the Prius people all flock too?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:36 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Just wait...all the fun comes after you've broken her in!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:25 PM
WetTT is infamous around these parts
Well, my TT is well broken in with 5k miles - a buddy has an E60 M5 - we did a few runs - the TT is always well ahead and it's total annihilation from a dig...cracks me up with all the gyrations he has to go thru' to launch

Old 03-30-2007, 12:42 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
It's well documented that the 997TT walks the M5 from any speed.

From a dig its high 3's vs. low 4's which translates into a decent amount of space at 60mph between the pair.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:51 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
[quote=chrisn]I just picked up my 997TT this week and thought I'd share some initial impressions.

First a caveat: this is my first Turbo car, and it is not broken in. I have tried to stay at least 1K below redline, and my shifting is not as fast/smooth as it could be.

In a nutshell: I think the TT is about as fast as the M5-- but not a ton faster.

M5, when going 60MPH in 3rd if you hammer it, the power is on instantly and it pulls steady to the redline.

In the TT, same situation, you get a smaller initial burst of power, which builds as the boost builds, but full TQ/boost only last for a brief time (especially when not running all the way to redline). Certainly higher peak TQ, but doesn't feel a ton faster. And, for me, the peaky TQ makes that car feel less composed. Maybe I just need to get used to this.

You have to get use to being at least at 4500 rpm with the turbo or the lag will get you beat by the M5 everytime. That is just the difference between a turbo and non-turbo car. Get that rpm up to 4500, recognize the 6600-6700 cut-off, and you'll beat the M5 big time, everytime.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:55 PM
B77dragon is infamous around these parts
sorry...but this is kind of a useless compare...your cars not broken in...your not the best at driving it yet....and you arent even going to redline....

BEST PART!!! is that it still his hanging which rocks!!! hahah Imagine when it blossoms and you know all the ins and outs of what its telling u, like your Bimmer...

Enjoy!!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:33 PM
gobie18 is infamous around these parts
Its almost impossable for an M5 to be faster then a 997TT, I have a 02 TT with just exhaust and everything else stock. I race with my friends E60 M5 quite a few times on the freeway and he can't even beat me. We ran pretty hard a few times and we're pretty equal with me having a slight edge below 120mph. Never driven a 997TT, but just from reading, its faster then the 996TT. I think after you break in your 997TT, you will be suprise with what it can do.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:53 PM
BlackS4Terror is infamous around these parts
Several buddies have raced E60 M5s in their S4's (stg 3) and pull on the M5. The Porsche is lighter.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:56 PM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ReconTrojan
That comment was uncalled for and rather silly. Is there not some leftwing tree-hugger board that the Prius people all flock too?
At least I have the ***** to post what I drive... even if it is a Prius.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E60 M5 v. 997TT: Initial Impressions