997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997TT as Daily Driver? Pros/Cons...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Banned
Origyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mike2727
Depreciation (?)
I was waiting for someone to say that.

Absolutely no cons in my opinion though, the car seems to be rather incredible. I was having a conversation with a person at the last meet we organized and they were telling me how the car is a better daily driver than his M3 by far. The ability to drive the car in all weather astonished him.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Vincent997 is infamous around these parts
997TT as daily driver

It's a great daily driver. I have the supple leather seats, very comfortable. I don't drive much (7K a year) but definitely everyday. It's a little loud (but I have an exhaust upgrade) and I also have a CL65 which is amazingly quiet when you don't step on it.
Have fun with the future TT.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:14 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
[quote=B-Line]If I were going to buy a TT as a daily driver, I would probably consider getting the car without the sport seats.
Yes, they are comfortable to sit in and offer nice support, but when I was "test driving" different seats at the Pcar dealership, I noticed two specific things about sport seats.

1) They are more difficult to get in and out of.
2) When you open the drivers side door, because of the side bolsters, you need the door to swing out much wider, to exit the car, then the room you need to get out of the car w/out the sport seats. - So parking in a tighter type garage or jumping in and out of the car is not as comfortable. You literally have to swing the door, wide open, to get out of the sport seats.

Having said that, I got mine with sport seats, but my TT is a 3rd car. If it were my daily driver, I would have skipped the sport seats.

And too, the regular seats are a bit softer, less firm for extended driving and prolonged sitting in traffic. I still wish Porsche would make the gasoline tanks just a bit larger. I would be glad to sacrifice even more of the already zero room front-trunk for a couple more gallons of gasoline.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:21 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by atomic80
Cons is definitely that you'd have to worry about where to park. If you don't care about those things then it's a moot point. I can't think of any cons, really. It's a great car to drive.
Good point....I often wonder if I am worrying too much about this parking thing. But I would hate to leave my job in the evening and find the tt gone or keyed or whatever the nasties do to these exceptional-looking cars. Sometimes when I need to park it in a not-so-good area, like a movie parking lot, Rolex raceway, etc, I just cover it with a light cotton cover...just takes a minute and I feel it leaves the car much more secure. No one really knows what is under the cover. At work it works great, keeps the tt much cooler in the hot summers.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:06 PM
sftobr is infamous around these parts
Also had a RR supercharged. Piece of crap. In the shop more than I drove it. Had two 997TT this year.One a tip and the second a 6speed.Like the 6speed much better but if you are in traffic most of the time the tip is the only way to go. The car is absolutely incredible.Only reason I sold the because I fell in love with the GT3RS and had to have it. Not a very good daily so I use a Cayenne TT everyday. Both of my cars had sport seats and I had no issues with them getting in or out.Just leave the car stock if it is a daily.Good luck

Old 04-06-2007, 08:08 PM
drbf is infamous around these parts
I drive 75 miles a day with my 997TT and smile all the way. What a comfortable DD and with heated *** it doesn't get any better.......

Old 04-06-2007, 11:41 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I have no complants. I drive mine every day and I love the car more and more!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Zho
Zho is infamous around these parts
I have quite small garage and I am worried would TT fit there? Doorway it's about 210cm width. Does Turbo have body folding mirrors and what's the lenght mirror to mirror (not folded if even possible)? Thanks in advance

Old 06-09-2008, 09:38 AM
eaglejackson is infamous around these parts
I use my 997TT as a semi DD, shared with an X-5. The TT is a blast to drive and works well as a DD with some caveats, most of which have been mentioned already. If I can I'll drive the TT. Days I won't include: if I have to park downtown or in a downtown parking garage where the spaces are tight; when I have a lot of stuff to carry, like large packages (I have packages delivered to my office rather than the home address); if I have to do a big grocery or Costco run; if it's been snowing (I don't have snow tires for it). If I bring my bicycle to work so I can ride at lunch, I bring the X-5. Also, the gas mileage isn't great and the tank is small so it requires lots of fill ups if you drive it daily. Of course you didn't buy a TT for its gas mileage.

It's an absolutely delightful car to drive.

Last edited by eaglejackson; 06-09-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:19 AM
TexasHedge is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lager99
Tough to haul plywood?
I have a cab, so plywood isn't an issue....the only con i have is scrapping up my front fender, but it doesn't look like the lip is hard to replace.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 AM
OGA-Charlie is infamous around these parts
I concur with all the previous positive comments about the 997TT as a daily driver. I've had mine a little over a year and have driven approximately 22,500 fun miles. It's my only DD and have had absolutely no problems.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
I think the 997tt is a great DD.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Zho
Zho is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Zho
I have quite small garage and I am worried would TT fit there? Doorway it's about 210cm width. Does Turbo have body folding mirrors and what's the lenght mirror to mirror (not folded if even possible)? Thanks in advance
Anyone?

Old 06-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by drbf
I drive 75 miles a day with my 997TT and smile all the way. What a comfortable DD and with heated *** it doesn't get any better.......
You are very lucky! to drive it that much

I like to drive my car as much as possible. I have about ~5,000 miles on it now and im not going to baby the miles on it. Whenever I get a chance to take a long distance trip the 997TT gets my pick hands down over my RR, SL500.

The only cons I have is the Parking issue. I try to park as far away as the other cars as possible. And pray that it will be the same when I come back.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:21 PM
rscholl is infamous around these parts
My 08 TT will be here in July and I will use it as a daily driver as well. Sounds like it will be a blast. My first p-car too. Can't wait.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997TT as Daily Driver? Pros/Cons...