997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997TT as Daily Driver? Pros/Cons...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rscholl
My 08 TT will be here in July and I will use it as a daily driver as well. Sounds like it will be a blast. My first p-car too. Can't wait.
I was in your shoes also. Just be careful with it and learn the car before you give it full beans.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:00 PM
AAFLYER is infamous around these parts
It is a great DD car. I have two TT's, a TIP and a 6-speed. The TIP is a little easier in traffic, but both are so much fun to drive. I have an S-550, and I like the Bluetooth so I use that car as well.

Nothing like driving a TT.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:52 PM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
My 08 TT will be here in July and I will use it as a daily driver as well. Sounds like it will be a blast. My first p-car too. Can't wait.
My TT was my first P-car and is my DD. Or at least as much of a DD as one needs in NYC...!

Old 06-09-2008, 06:51 PM
ninenineseven is infamous around these parts
Pros - Everything (Once mObridge Bluetooth & iPod adapter was fitted)

Cons - Only 20 minutes to work now

Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Black V12 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by slykmr
Currently in a Range Rover Sport Supercharged and looking to take the plunge into the 997TT. For those that have some time in the cars, any cons at this point? Looking to drive the car daily so I just want an insight on road noise, comfort, driveability, features etc. Thanks in advance!
I see them daily driven all the time, there are probably a dozen daily driver 997's in the garage where I park by the courthouse, including three TT's and two GT3's (one is an RS). That said, I take the subway most days.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:28 PM
997ttt is infamous around these parts
Definitely my DD. Just can't bring myself to leave the top down when parked outside a grocery store or even for a short while. I am always paranoid that some jerk will pour something inside the car or do something stupid.

On a really rainy day, I leave it at home and take my Landcuiser to work. Slippery roads concern me re: other drivers sliding into me.

Other cons: very low front clearance compared to my 997s. Already a few scratches on the front lip.

2700 miles so far. started with 9 miles on 5-5-08.

IMO, this is the great feature of a 997TT. Exotic and still conceivable running to the grocery store for a few things. Can't really imagine doing this on a regular basis even with a similarly priced Ferrari.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Black V12 is infamous around these parts
FWIW, I used a Gallardo (I ordered the first black customer car in Chicago) as my daily driver for a year and a half, including Chicago winters (Pirelli makes snow tires for it and they come on a spare set of wheels as an option!)... loved it. Just parked downstairs in the garage at the grocery store, dry cleaners, etc. took a little extra time to find a good parking spot on a meter when I was headed to a restaurant... it was a great daily driver. Put about 18,000 miles on it in 16 months including some long road trips (yes, with luggage UPS'd to the destination). The TT would be even more useable every day.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:09 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, great daily driver. I have the 6 speed and drive in bad bumper to bumper traffic nearly every day - don't care, still love the car and enjoy every minute behind the wheel. Also have adaptive sports seats which I love - but I am small so not a problem and very comfortable. Have to be carful about parking - I pay alot for a private stall in downtown while I am at work. As someone said to me when I pondered this question, why save it for the next guy? You paid for it, drive it and enjoy it.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:28 PM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
Its a great DD

Its like falling in love again twice a day...

great endorphines with this car.

cab

Old 06-09-2008, 09:31 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I started out with the idea that my 997tt was going to be my daily driver .
Then came worry and neurosis. I thought about dings and dents when I saw supermarket carts loose. I saw a lady carelessly fling a cart wearing rollers on her head getting into an old pickup truck with a big dog in the back and a cigarette hanging out of her mouth talking on a cel phone. I saw large SUV's fling doors open in tight spaces.

I looked at my Turbo .
I had my xenon light already ripped out of two previous Porsches too .

I cast the worry aside at first but then came the mods . $18K into the process I saw it was going to cost more , and more , and more !!!!!!
Then my feelings changed --I began to look at my car as though it was art . I wanted to drive it but I wanted each mile to be cherished to the best of my ability by having the choice of whether to take the car or not.

I bought a Civic Si .

I took it to the mall . No worry .
I took it lap swimming . No worry .
I took it to the supermarket. No worry .
I took it out on congested highways with construction . No worry .

My 997tt is one year old has just under 5K miles and is in impeccable condition . My Civic has taken 11K miles and a door ding instead of the Turbo .

I am ok with this . I live in a city and maybe if I felt like my car faced less obstacles I might feel differently. I do like living here and I found the balance which works for me .

Old 06-10-2008, 01:40 AM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
My 997tt is one year old has just under 5K miles and is in impeccable condition . My Civic has taken 11K miles and a door ding instead of the Turbo .
A babied garage queen. Sweet. When you're ready to sell, let me know.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:49 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
I plan to drive my 997 TT everyday in summer... and I am looking forward to it )))

What I undestood from this topic that RRS is not realible at all...amd I wanted to get one for winter times...I guess I will have to get another LC..

Old 06-10-2008, 03:31 AM
brahmabull421 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I started out with the idea that my 997tt was going to be my daily driver .
Then came worry and neurosis. I thought about dings and dents when I saw supermarket carts loose. I saw a lady carelessly fling a cart wearing rollers on her head getting into an old pickup truck with a big dog in the back and a cigarette hanging out of her mouth talking on a cel phone. I saw large SUV's fling doors open in tight spaces.

I looked at my Turbo .
I had my xenon light already ripped out of two previous Porsches too .

I cast the worry aside at first but then came the mods . $18K into the process I saw it was going to cost more , and more , and more !!!!!!
Then my feelings changed --I began to look at my car as though it was art . I wanted to drive it but I wanted each mile to be cherished to the best of my ability by having the choice of whether to take the car or not.

I bought a Civic Si .

I took it to the mall . No worry .
I took it lap swimming . No worry .
I took it to the supermarket. No worry .
I took it out on congested highways with construction . No worry .

I am ok with this . I live in a city and maybe if I felt like my car faced less obstacles I might feel differently. I do like living here and I found the balance which works for me .

to each its own i guess..but remember this bro..id rather die happy driving it daily than worry about all the negatives and die not knowing the fun and joy the car gives...drive like you stole it and make it worth every penny..cuz in the end, you cant take it with you..

Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
It's not going to appreciate so I don't see the point of not using it. Dings can get fixed. Mauled front spoiler is cheap to replace. It has A/C and a stereo. It's fine sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. If it was a 959 I'd feel differently but it's not. That said, it's probably faster than a 959. Use 'em...that's what they're for.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:04 AM
jamesketchell is infamous around these parts
I got my TT in March and have been using it as a daily driver ever since. Its a great all rounder. If you leave the suspension on the standard setting it will drive on pretty much any quality of road surface. If you care about fuel economy its pretty good in that respect too, unless your in traffic. The car is the best all rounder out there. The only risk in driving it every day is you lose that special feeling. So you might be less inclined to drive it for driving sake. That said i haven't had that feeling as yet. I've already done 5k miles in the car and taken it on some very memorable road trips

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5255.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	71639   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5329.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	71640   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5333.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	71641  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997TT as Daily Driver? Pros/Cons...