997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Ride height/road clearance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:13 PM
GewoW is infamous around these parts
Ride height/road clearance

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I love the site. I just have a question. I've searched everywhere and all I have found was info about if the TT is a good/bad daily driver. I haven't found anything on ride height.

Is there any one that knows about how high the car is at the front and in the middle, because if anyone knows Montreal, then they know that there are some nasty-high speed bumps during the summer, some even spanning the whole car's wheelbase!

Anyways, I would just like to know if it's been an issue and if there's any option to automatically raise the height like there is on some other sports cars...

Thanks a lot, appreciate all the help.
-GewoW

Old 06-07-2007, 10:18 PM
bump...........

Old 06-08-2007, 03:14 AM
triptoo is infamous around these parts
There is no option to raise the front but the ride height isn't so low that you will bottom out other than the front chin spoiler. The front overhang on the Turbo is rather long so this can be a problem, but thats why its replacable.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:20 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
front and rear overhang are long, something to think about. I think for the most part the TT is a grear daily driver but your roads may vary.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by triptoo
There is no option to raise the front but the ride height isn't so low that you will bottom out other than the front chin spoiler. The front overhang on the Turbo is rather long so this can be a problem, but thats why its replacable.
Yeah that was my main concern...The front overhang seems pretty long, not necessarily that low, but long...

Does anyone know official specs for the clearance? And how expensive is the front piece that would be damaged?

Thanks again

Old 06-08-2007, 11:31 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GewoW
Yeah that was my main concern...The front overhang seems pretty long, not necessarily that low, but long...

Does anyone know official specs for the clearance? And how expensive is the front piece that would be damaged?

Thanks again
You can buy a replacement lip for less than $200. The specs are in the attached file.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
997 Turbo_US.pdf (43.2 KB, 100 views)
Old 06-08-2007, 12:26 PM
wow thanks jhbrennan. Tha's exactly what I needed. Would you have anything like that about the GT3 by any chance? Is that lower?

Thanks again.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:08 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GewoW
wow thanks jhbrennan. Tha's exactly what I needed. Would you have anything like that about the GT3 by any chance? Is that lower?

Thanks again.
Last two pages of this document have the dimensions for the GT3

Attached Files
Old 06-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
Can I have the same document for the 997S? Thank's in advance!

Old 06-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Gabriel
Can I have the same document for the 997S? Thank's in advance!
Only has C2 dimensions - only the width changes on the C4

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
997 Product Info.pdf (26.5 KB, 729 views)
Old 06-09-2007, 09:49 AM
mawyatt is infamous around these parts
One thing that's helped me is to keep the suspension in the Sport mode when attemping a driveway ramp. I can scrape the front in normal mode but not is Sport. The stiffer suspension adds some effective clearance in Sport mode.

Mike

Old 06-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Wow thanks Mike. Appreciate the little tip.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by mawyatt
One thing that's helped me is to keep the suspension in the Sport mode when attemping a driveway ramp. I can scrape the front in normal mode but not is Sport. The stiffer suspension adds some effective clearance in Sport mode.

Mike
I do the same thing and it works - not sure it provides any more clearance - I think it just controls (stiffens) the compression/rebound of the shocks.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:26 AM
mawyatt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I do the same thing and it works - not sure it provides any more clearance - I think it just controls (stiffens) the compression/rebound of the shocks.
Exactly, that's why I used "effective clearance". Figured this out with my 993C2 that's lowered with HR springs. It's lower than the turbo but stiffer and doesn't scrape. I know the turbo has a longer snout which makes it more succeptable.

Mike