997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

What looks better black or basalt black?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned
Origyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cooperlee
now thats an offer i cannot possibly refuse there Maciej!!!! i will try to make my way out to edgewater one of these weekends that I am not racing...THX and i love your work btw!
Thanks!

PM me so I'll definitely make it to snap pics.

I've been keeping myself preoccupied at my friends with this lovely piece of machinery...

Old 06-15-2007, 05:56 PM
cooperlee is infamous around these parts
beauty!!! i am looking to blow up a few poster size photos of the for my office and garage!!!! thx in advance pal and I will let you know!!! perhaps i might be able to swing out to edgewater early this sunday am...a little fathers day present for myself....

Old 06-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Banned
Origyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to beholdOrigyns 973 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cooperlee
beauty!!! i am looking to blow up a few poster size photos of the for my office and garage!!!! thx in advance pal and I will let you know!!! perhaps i might be able to swing out to edgewater early this sunday am...a little fathers day present for myself....
Alright awesome!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:31 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I vote pure black, but lager99 I thought you already had a white TT?

Old 06-15-2007, 10:18 PM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I vote pure black, but lager99 I thought you already had a white TT?
I'm trying to balance my Yin & Yang.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:33 AM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
When I was taking delivery of my black 996TT, I saw a basalt black 997TT. Gorgeous car. Probably conceals dust a wee bit better.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:32 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Neither...go flat black

but seriously, in some lights basalt tends to have a tint of brown in it

Old 06-16-2007, 06:44 AM
golfguy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lager99
I was gonna do black...dealer says he likes basalt better in the sun. In pictures it looks grey to me, never seen it in person. I think metallic would be a better finish even for swirls etc, but not sure it is what I invision.
ok Jason, i gotta ask the oblivious question ... why all the drama ... are you getting a new turbo? you are asking about painted rockers, interior stitching, aerokit and color choices.

photos don't show the true differences between the two blacks. your best bet is to go to your dealer and compare the colors. south center has several basalts in stock:

http://south-centre.porschedealer.co...ntoryid=259389
http://south-centre.porschedealer.co...ntoryid=265635

fwiw, my vote is for basalt. gloss black shows all the paint flaws; you will easily see all the swirl marks and rock paints! besides, it'll be (slightly) different than the herds (pun intended) of 997tt that your wealthy albertean oil baron brethen drive!

on the practical side, my recomendation would be to keep your current tt and put money into mods. with the dramatic drop in the america dollar, the resale value of canadian porsches have taken significant dives. combine that with porsche's "healthy" (for them) exchange rate premium and you will be in for a substantial hit.

however, if you are determined to get another, here's some advice:
1. look at importing an american car - you are likely to be $10-20k ahead depending on whether you take the gst tax hit on your current car
2. forget about a gt2. they are not worth the premium and depreciate as much as non-turbo 911
3. research the option list - i'm sure you are doing so but it's confusing and owners have missed out on matching options such as stitching and leather. atomic80 has some good advice on rennlist including the one below.

let us know what you decide to do.

Originally Posted by atomic80
Look at the second picture, notice that the stitching on the gear shifter isn't deviated. Make sure that you get option 09991 which should ensure that's stitched in the same deviated color. Also consider getting option CDZ - Gear lever trim in leather so the gear shifter is tied to the center console too.

Last edited by golfguy; 06-16-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 AM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
Mods are the worst investment ever. Been down that route many...ok...just about every time. I think this is the 1st vehicle in my life I have done nothing with.

As far as buying it down south, it really doesn't matter. The US dealers, most won't sell new. They have wait lists, stupid premiums etc...I'm not interested in any games. I can't fathom buying a used car for 3% off...I don't care how different the dollar is. All cars depreciate, if you trade them at a % that you think is fair, that is all you need. It doesn't matter if it is msrp-msrp or wholesale-wholesale. You also save about $10G in gst by trading it. I think you'll see a bigger hit next year once there is used TT's on the market anyways.

Bottom line, they aren't an investment. Take a hit this year, or next year...or longer. I never keep anything more then 2yrs, this way I don't have to replace tires or breaks...son't have to worry about service, rock chips or windshields. It's all good.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:23 PM
golfguy is infamous around these parts
Lager99

well, at least wait for MY09 as there will be some minor restyling. do a search for the pictures.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:18 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
I would go for non metallic black.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:24 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
I just saw Tim's basalt 996 C4S...it looked pretty good...but I still prefer straight black. Bottom line...you are a winner with either one.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:35 PM
turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !
plain black is much harder to keep clean

Old 06-16-2007, 02:48 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Yep...

Old 06-16-2007, 02:57 PM
cooperlee is infamous around these parts
LOL they are both a ***** to clean but i guess the basalt blk hides the dusts and pollens slightly better! I personally think both colors are slammin!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What looks better black or basalt black?