997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Techart springs installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:26 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Techart springs installed - pics added

Finally got the Techart/Eibach lowering springs on my car. Took about 5 hours and help from a friend to complete the job. R&R of the front really requires a second person to pry the lower control arm down so the strut can be removed. The rears can be done with 1 person.

Initial impressions - drop is noticeable, but not radical. Springs still are not settled yet and the front lip is at 4 3/4 inch clearance from the ground. Car has a nice stance now without looking like a 4x4. The ride - very surprising - I actually found the ride MORE compliant than before. I think the newer rates are better matched to the struts than the stock springs. Less po-go effect. Even in Sport the ride is good. No suspension noise whatsoever, no harshness. So far, very pleased.

As far as install needs:

you need a special ball joint separator:

http://www.otctools.com/products/detail.php?id=1698

you need a special tool to hold the slotted washer of the front struts in order to remove the top nut. I happened to have this 944 tool which worked perfectly

http://www.9xauto.com/cgi/shop.cgi?c...temprice=68.00

the best tool I found to remove the top strut nut was a 13/16 spark plug socket

you also need a big pry bar, and a spring compressor

Front - remove front tie rod, lower ball joint, strut clamp and sway link from the hub carrier

Front - remove wheel caliper and lines from hub carrier, then pry down the lower control arm and rotate the strut out of the wheel well rearwards

Front and rear - use spring compressor to unload spring/strut top nut, then undo nut and swap out to new spring

Rear - undo sway link and rear trailing arm (optional) from rear hub carrier

Rear - remove Bose subwoofers, mounting brackets, and insulation to expose spring mounts and then undo spring mounts (must disconnet PASM wire first front and rear)

Rear spring installed - new spring appears to be progressive vs stock spring

Front spring installed - top and bottom coils are covered with additional damper material to prevent coil bind and noise

Last edited by eclou; 06-25-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:30 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
How'd the ssk workout?
C

Old 06-21-2007, 09:41 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Have you had any issues with scraping your front end since you had those springs put in? That's the biggest factor stopping me from getting them.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:43 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Any before and after pics? I will get the same springs when my TT arives in July. I have heard from many of the wheel guys I deal with have said that the ride is where it should have been from the factory.

I don't think the TechArt Coilovers are worth the 7-8K expense though.

I would love to see a pic of your car now.

I am very curious to as to how the SSK works out as well. There wasn't an option for the Sport Shifter when I ordered. I want to have one and it was not available.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:28 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Congradulation's, cant wait to see the pictures of Turbo with the drop.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:07 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
The SSK is very nice. Still a little notchy when cold but that is already improving after only 3-4 drives. I love the positive feel. The main issue is the install instructions do not account for the fact that the 997tt console goes disassembly is much different than the instructions.

I plan on driving the car for a few miles to settle the springs and then get an aggressive street/track alignment. Already the car has more negative camber but not a huge amount. I'll post pics after alignment and a wash!

Old 06-22-2007, 06:17 AM
Texas911 is infamous around these parts
Well done eclou! How about some side shots of your car after the drop?

Old 06-22-2007, 08:44 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Any issues with scraping your front lip in driveways? You haven't mentioned that yet.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:49 AM
So far no issues but I have only had the springs in for 12 hours now. No scrapage on the way to work. My cars have all been much lower than the TT though. My 944 turbo sits about 3" off the ground and my old M3 was perhaps 3 1/2". I managed Europe in the Gt3 without any significant scrapes either.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
I love my Techart springs!!! car rides perfect!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 01:59 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I told you they were pretty good Glad you like em!

Old 06-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Stephen, being that the springs are progressive and not linear like the stock ones I have to say the ride is even BETTER than stock. Before, sport mode was sometimes jarring but now it is compliant enough for full time daily driving. I am ecstatic, especially given the very reasonable price

Old 06-22-2007, 11:34 PM
pc1
pc1 is infamous around these parts
Nice pics, but what brand of aftermarket shocks would you consider later in the future to pair with the Techart springs?

Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 PM
rockamoto is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the upgrade. Are you running 19" or 20" wheels? How much of a difference do the springs make in the handling, has it sharpened up the responses at all?

Looking forward to the pics of the car, do you have "before " and "after" shots?

Old 06-23-2007, 05:05 AM
The factory Bilsteins can be refreshed/reworked for a very reasonable price when time comes. As far as handling, I won't know for sure until after the alignment but so far it is sharper. 19" wheels and stock tire sizes for my car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Techart springs installed