997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT is now a luxury car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:08 PM
LAT
LAT is infamous around these parts
I have a spreadsheet I have put together of 7 test reports, all European on the 99TT and the average 100-200 kph (62-124mph) is 8.67 sec I doubt the extra 2 mph at the start and the 6 mph at the end take almost 50% more time.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:45 PM
bavariamotorist is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
If the Turbo was much faster, it would beat the GT3, lighter weight, same power etc would make it too close to the GT2 and therefore useless. Turbo has long since been surpassed as the pinnacle of sports cars even under the Porsche label so I dont understand the confusion. There are THREE more focused Porsches so the Turbo is bound to be geared more towards the non-track Porsche people, especially if you see the GT3 gaining 200 lbs, it took some serious engineering to make it better than the 996 turbo with the added weight. Even the GT3 is getting softer, losing it's hard edge, but still able to mask that with great performance. The Turbo fills the spot it was intended to take.
It still is the flagship, Porsche, though, as we speak.

The GT2 is more like a limited run super Porsche, such as the CGT (of course, not nearly as "super" or expensive)

I just think the flagship Porsche should be EVERYTHING. Awesome street car. Awesome versatility. Awesome track car.

I suppose it does all of that pretty well. Maybe we are just being picky.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:33 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I own both a 997GT3 and a 997TT. I have 1000 miles on the GT3 thru the Swiss and French Alps, and 5700 miles on the TT with about 500 or so on the track (TWS and MSR Houston). There is not a world of difference between the 2 when the TT is in PASM sport. It does not feel clumsy, and it is not wallowing out of control on the track. The only real obvious difference is the profound midrange power advantage of the TT. Magazine writers get paid to write, not drive. Alot of people then take their words as gospel and then try to amplify the hype to the point of ridiculousness.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:47 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by eclou
I own both a 997GT3 and a 997TT. I have 1000 miles on the GT3 thru the Swiss and French Alps, and 5700 miles on the TT with about 500 or so on the track (TWS and MSR Houston). There is not a world of difference between the 2 when the TT is in PASM sport. It does not feel clumsy, and it is not wallowing out of control on the track. The only real obvious difference is the profound midrange power advantage of the TT. Magazine writers get paid to write, not drive. Alot of people then take their words as gospel and then try to amplify the hype to the point of ridiculousness.
no one could have said any better. and you prob are the most qualified of all who posted here because not only have you driven both extensively, you own them. great post. +1

Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by LAT
I have a spreadsheet I have put together of 7 test reports, all European on the 99TT and the average 100-200 kph (62-124mph) is 8.67 sec I doubt the extra 2 mph at the start and the 6 mph at the end take almost 50% more time.
exactly, the 997TT is low 9 secodn range 60-130, WAY faster than a 63amg.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:56 PM
DodgeViper01 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bill S
What do you guys think about the 997 TT turning into a luxury car? It's kind of disappointing to see its performance fall under many competitors, including 4-door luxury sedans. Even the 4-door Mercedes E63 and BMW M5 have a faster 60 to 130. The other Mercedes coupes (e.g., CLK63 AMG Black Series) may even perform better on the track.

BTW, I've owned Porsche turbos since the early 80s and still do today. I'm just disappointed that it's not far and beyond all other cars, like it was during the late 70s, 80s and early 90s. I suppose the CGT, and to some extent, the GT3, are now the modern day "turbos".
Sounds like someone just read the last Car & Driver. I have always thought of the Turbo as a luxury car for people that wanted to mix luxury with performance. It just all depends what you want the car for.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
And following is what same author writes about two other 'mediocre' track cars. Please read and see if you would still feel comfortable quoting him. From the same article, about the Porsche GT3:

"..but it tended to suffer from severe lift-throttle oversteer in the middle of turns..."

and about the Lotus Exige S:

"There is some tail-happiness that hampers the car in places like the uphill esses of Sector Two. In the middle of that sequence, the Lotus tended to get loose, necessitating a lift of the throttle." ( !!!!)

If the 997tt has the same "problem" as these 2 track-disguising-as-street cars, particularly in the case of that Lotus, then I'd say it's in good company indeed.

Maybe the writer, er DRIVER, enters the corners way faster than his driving skills allow, panics mid turn and lifts off throttle, then subsequently writes the cars are tail happy? Maybe he does NOT know what he's talking about?
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-lap-2007.html

Originally Posted by nberry
I suspect part of the reason for the post is the results of the Car & Driver test to determine the best street cars on the track. With respect to the 997TT, here are some of their comments;

"The lastest Porsche Turbo is terrific on the steet but disappointing on the track. The power is there but the car feels heavy and clumsy next to the 911GT3."

"The Turbo was a touch underwhelming, making us wonder where the model fits into the 911 range, now that the Carrera S is so good and the GT3 so much more extreme."
...Snip...

Old 07-03-2007, 12:29 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bavariamotorist
It still is the flagship, Porsche, though, as we speak.

The GT2 is more like a limited run super Porsche, such as the CGT (of course, not nearly as "super" or expensive)

I just think the flagship Porsche should be EVERYTHING. Awesome street car. Awesome versatility. Awesome track car.

I suppose it does all of that pretty well. Maybe we are just being picky.
I understand but the competition has stepped up the game and Porsche continues to make cars more and more docile, which a lot of makers are doing, but seems as though they could be a little edgier. If it werent for the Z06 I dont think pretty much any of this would be a debate (well other than that garbage from C&D) because it would be faster than everything that costs less except a noble M400.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:50 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I understand but the competition has stepped up the game and Porsche continues to make cars more and more docile, which a lot of makers are doing, but seems as though they could be a little edgier. If it werent for the Z06 I dont think pretty much any of this would be a debate (well other than that garbage from C&D) because it would be faster than everything that costs less except a noble M400.

spot on man...spot on...

just look at that last C&D comparo

Old 07-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by cannga
And following is what same author writes about two other 'mediocre' track cars. Please read and see if you would still feel comfortable quoting him. From the same article, about the Porsche GT3:

"..but it tended to suffer from severe lift-throttle oversteer in the middle of turns..."

and about the Lotus Exige S:

"There is some tail-happiness that hampers the car in places like the uphill esses of Sector Two. In the middle of that sequence, the Lotus tended to get loose, necessitating a lift of the throttle." ( !!!!)

If the 997tt has the same "problem" as these 2 track-disguising-as-street cars, particularly in the case of that Lotus, then I'd say it's in good company indeed.

Maybe the writer, er DRIVER, enters the corners way faster than his driving skills allow, panics mid turn and lifts off throttle, then subsequently writes the cars are tail happy? Maybe he does NOT know what he's talking about?
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-lap-2007.html

bingo! we have a winner. what has the gentleman with the great explanation won? thats a good way to put it...and is prob true and spot on as these guys are not pros and anyone taking a turn fast, and esp taking one too fast is going to panic and lift. just second nature for an unseasoned driver.