997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

So, will I fit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:42 AM
NeverFastEnough is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mussel Kar
Will you still have room for a helmet?
I doubt it.

That is why Brey-Krause made the adapters which bolt the GT3 seat to the floor.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 AM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
I am 6'4''240lb and I fit well in the 2007 C4S I have. I have the adaptive sport seats and there is only a little binding on my shoulders. If I engage the "sport button" I have to make sure the seat is a little lower, which I don't like. If I don't, head hits the roof when the road gets rough. not a biggie

mike

Old 07-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by GewoW
Thanks. You're being infinitely helpful and I appreciate that. BUT, about the race-style...I'll prolly be too wide to fit in those.
Also, bolsters don't really bother me at all...and being able to recline the seat a moderate amount inproves on my leg room. Also, that would increase my headroom. Is the reclining when the seat is all the way back good i.e. can it be reclined a moderate amount?

Another thing...@Byron...I have never felt claustrophobic..so I'm OK.
You would be surprised at how "comfortable" some racing seats can be. I was told by my dealer that I was too big for the sport seats, and all they had at the time were regular seats to try out. I found though that I would easily slide out of the regular seats and it was difficult to "feel" what the car was doing in "spirited driving". The GT3 seats are tight but the feedback from the car is dramatically improved, and the effort to stay in the seat is reduced so driving is more "relaxed". The stock sliders on the GT3 seats though are way too forward and upright, therefore after market adapters are a must for tall guys (or women).

In terms of whether bolsters will bother you it all depends on where your height and "bulk" come from. Most tall guys are more leg than torso, but some are opposite, and most young big guys are more chest than gut, but as we age the opposite comes true. So it all depends on where you "match" the seat.

It has been so long since I had regular seats in my car, I cannot remember if reclining was an issue, but I do not think it is. You definetely cannot recline the seats flat but you can recline them to the point where driving would be difficult, if not impossible.

You should really try to get to sit in various Porsche seats and seats in some racing shops if that is available to you.

BMW's are renouned for their great seats and comfort. I have been in M3's, M5's and others, so I know what you mean.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:24 AM
docjackson1 is infamous around these parts
Only on 6speed.

Now, @ docjackson1, wow...I appreciate everything so much. If you say I can fit, then I can fit...I wear size 15 shoes though, so foot wiggle room is OK, but I can very well see your point about the shoe on/off...I do have shoes with thin soles/bases, so I think I'll be OK.

For the adaptives, why would they be bad? Do they somehow push you more out of the seat, or it is just that there's bolsters that may annoy your sides? Are they a thicker seat or smthg not allowing the actual seat to go back?

Also, unfortunately, I am quite far from NJ, but thanks for the offer. I noted the email address though, as I will be getting back to you if this thread dies before I get my questions answered, which seam to be answered already (other than those in this post).

So again, thanks! As MexicoBlue said, only on 6speed will you find 2 big beasts like us w/ similar issues!
i sat in my patient's seat in his turbo with adaptives-because of the bolsters. on the bottom and back, i felt about 2 inches closer-definitely less comfortable.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:02 AM
golfguy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by docjackson1
i can help you-i am 6'7" and 315 lbs.
doc and gewow

did you check into getting lower height seat cushions? i seem to remember that the 964 and 993 could be ordered with lower seat cushions that would provide an additional inch of head room.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:25 PM
12007tt is infamous around these parts
I'm 6'3'' and 180 lb. The adaptive sport seat gave me 2" less head room than the standard seat. Seemed like both the seat frame and cushion/bolsters were higher. I went with the regular seat for this reason alone.

K

Old 07-06-2007, 03:10 PM
peter salvatore is infamous around these parts
My son is 6' 5" tall and at least 280+(he will not tell me his real weight :-)) I have a 997TT with sport seats but not adaptive. He fits fine and did not have the seat all the way back. His pant inseam is I believe 35". In fact he comments often how much room it has. However I also have a 335 and he is cramped in that.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:44 PM
GewoW is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by peter salvatore
My son is 6' 5" tall and at least 280+(he will not tell me his real weight :-)) I have a 997TT with sport seats but not adaptive. He fits fine and did not have the seat all the way back. His pant inseam is I believe 35". In fact he comments often how much room it has. However I also have a 335 and he is cramped in that.
WHAT?! Cramped in the 335? I'm immeasurably comfortable in that! So I'm not worried anymore.

So, to recap, what I got from everyone is:
1- I will fit!
2- Sports will prolly lose 2'' off headroom and a couple off legroom
3- I should look into the racing seats, because I will probably fit in them pretty well and they're quite low and good for leg/headroom
4- Bolsters won't bother me because they don't in the 335i or the M5/M6 so we'll see
5- lower height seat cushions are an option worth looking into

Anything else?

Old 07-06-2007, 04:53 PM
if i were you, i would get the regular seats. you have to have more room in them than the sport or sport adaptive-you are a bulky guy. racing seats are nuts for you or me-they are narrow and will make you feel cramped, they might not match the car well, and when porsche gives you a regular seat that fits and looks good, why go thru all this craziness. trust me-you want the regular seats. the previous poster makes a good point-if they have an option to take some padding out too, not a bad idea. the seat will just be less cushy.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:49 PM
WHAT?! Cramped in the 335? I'm immeasurably comfortable in that! So I'm not worried anymore.

So, to recap, what I got from everyone is:
1- I will fit!
2- Sports will prolly lose 2'' off headroom and a couple off legroom
3- I should look into the racing seats, because I will probably fit in them pretty well and they're quite low and good for leg/headroom
4- Bolsters won't bother me because they don't in the 335i or the M5/M6 so we'll see

Anything else?
1-4 sound good, but I have not seen option 5 anywhere (except as mentioned on the 996 C4S and TT). The height of the 997 seats are as they come.

The standard seats may be just what you are looking for, but I would not right off the aftermarket seats until you have had a good look at them. When I first got my C4S I was very happy with the seats (and the fact I could fit in a 911...I tried a friend's old 993turbo and NO WAY!) but as I got used to the handling, etc. I found the standard seats just could not hold me well enough. I only mention the GT3 seats as I am familiar with them, but there are many aftermarket seats out there with different sizes, adapters, etc. Unfortunately it is only by much webpage research, trial and error, and patience that you MIGHT find a seat more to your needs. It all depends how much effort you want to put into it and how important it is to you.

The info on the sport adaptives has me a bit worried as my new GT3 will have them. I might be like you in a few weeks...looking for a better seat!

Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 PM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
6'6" 295

Don't fit in any 996.
Don't fit in 997 coupe, not enough headroom, damn sunroof.
Fit in C4S cab and thus assume I will fit in 997TT Cab that I have on order.

Have not decided about seats yet. Planning on trying a few on. C4 Cabs are plentiful, so it will be easy to try difffrent seats.

Also the 10mm (not 1") less padding was available on the 996, not the 997.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:03 PM
GewoW is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NeverFastEnough
The info on the sport adaptives has me a bit worried as my new GT3 will have them.
When there's a will, there's a way, my friend.

I really appreciate everything guys. I can't begin to tell you guys how much of a halp you have been. I was expecting more of the "suck it up and go to the dealer" or the "forget it" variety...but I get better responses than I can ever expect.
So again, thanks everyone. I will go to the dealer sometime soon and ask em what's up..so I can see my best options, taking everything you guys said into consideration.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:17 PM
golfguy is infamous around these parts
i didn't see this listed on the early MY07 order guides but here's the option code for the 996:

OPTION XSU Lowered Seats (-10 mm)
Thinner seat cushion lowers seat by 10 mm to offer increased headroom. ncludes padded head restraints. $705

Old 07-06-2007, 07:19 PM
hey-you're welcome

Old 07-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by NeverFastEnough
The stock sliders on the GT3 seats though are way too forward and upright, therefore after market adapters are a must for tall guys (or women).
What other options are there besides bolting the seats to the floor?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So, will I fit?