997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

So, will I fit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:24 PM
GewoW is infamous around these parts
So, will I fit?

To avoid making a complete fool of myself, I'd like to ask for opinions before I go...make a fool of myself.

I would just like to know, do you guys think I will fit in the turbo (997)
I am 6'7'' and 300 lbs. I fit very well in a M5 and 335i and pretty well in an M6...just to give you guys an idea.

So? Any opinions?

P.S. I am aware of the poinlessness of this thread, but I'd like to have this answered if possible, to save some dignity. And please don't tell me that I don't deserve a fast car like this because I'm so heavy, but DO feel free to make fun!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Bill McNeal is infamous around these parts
I'm not sure. My hunch is that the regular sport seats will accomodate you better than the adaptives.

Doubtful you can fit in the back seats, though.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal
Doubtful you can fit in the back seats, though.
Haha...yeah. That wasn't one of my concerns!

Alright. Thank you for that. any other opinions?

P.S. Welcome...I see it's your 1st post. Enjoy the boards

Old 07-05-2007, 11:22 PM
NeverFastEnough is infamous around these parts
I am 6' 5" and about 260 lbs, and I just fit in my 996 with the regular seats (no headroom and barely adequate legroom). I put in the GT3 seats with Brey-Krause adapters to lower the seat and move it back slightly, so I now have a couple inches headroom, and a little extra legroom. For thigh support I put in thicker Recaro seat cushions. The GT3 seats hold you firmly though and you will get a numb a** after a couple hours of driving.

For even more head and legroom, Brey-Krause make brackets to attach the GT3 seat to the floor, but they are a PITA to put in and the rear seats become useless. You also end up sitting so far back and so low you feel like one of those kids in their tuner cars, and you feel like a dork.

My guess is, therefore, for you it will be a tight fit. If they ever offer a sunroof delete, or good after-market seats and sliders may be your best bet.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by NeverFastEnough
I am 6' 5" and about 260 lbs, and I just fit in my 996 with the regular seats (no headroom and barely adequate legroom). I put in the GT3 seats with Brey-Krause adapters to lower the seat and move it back slightly, so I now have a couple inches headroom, and a little extra legroom. For thigh support I put in thicker Recaro seat cushions. The GT3 seats hold you firmly though and you will get a numb a** after a couple hours of driving.

For even more head and legroom, Brey-Krause make brackets to attach the GT3 seat to the floor, but they are a PITA to put in and the rear seats become useless. You also end up sitting so far back and so low you feel like one of those kids in their tuner cars, and you feel like a dork.

My guess is, therefore, for you it will be a tight fit. If they ever offer a sunroof delete, or good after-market seats and sliders may be your best bet.
Thanks. Do you think it would be possible to have them litterally "derail" and relocate the front driver's seat a few "notches" back or do the seats already touch the back seats when all the way back? Them being the dealer.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
You will feel claustrophobic unless you get a convertible.

Aloha

Byron

Old 07-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by GewoW
Thanks. Do you think it would be possible to have them litterally "derail" and relocate the front driver's seat a few "notches" back or do the seats already touch the back seats when all the way back? Them being the dealer.
No I do not think so...I asked them to do that and they were not really that interested and I think they were worried about liability...somehow weakening the seat and safety issues.

The 996 C4S and TT had seats which were 5mm lower than the other 911's. It was recommended to me to get the standard seats as the sport seats had bolsters which may be uncomfortable. With regard to the 997 I am not aware of differences in seat height between the different models, but I am told and I have read that the 997 Sport Adaptive seats are much better than the 996 sport seats.

I am not aware of any after market adapters for the stock Porsche seats that are currently available. Soon though Porsche will be offering a new "race-style" seat, which will be available on all 911's except the GT3 and GT3RS (which probably will have finished their production runs by the time the seat is an option). It would be nice if this seat were to sit lower or have more after market adapters available.

Many years ago I did sit in a 996 C2 which had great leg and headroom. I did ask the dealership what had been done to the seat and they claimed ignorance...of course.

The old 996 also had a center console delete kit available. I do not think there is one for the 997...yet.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by Byronmaui
You will feel claustrophobic unless you get a convertible.

Aloha

Byron
Maybe not...I drove a convertible C4 once and with the top down I felt like a "great dane".

Old 07-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by NeverFastEnough
No I do not think so...I asked them to do that and they were not really that interested and I think they were worried about liability...somehow weakening the seat and safety issues.

The 996 C4S and TT had seats which were 5mm lower than the other 911's. It was recommended to me to get the standard seats as the sport seats had bolsters which may be uncomfortable. With regard to the 997 I am not aware of differences in seat height between the different models, but I am told and I have read that the 997 Sport Adaptive seats are much better than the 996 sport seats.

I am not aware of any after market adapters for the stock Porsche seats that are currently available. Soon though Porsche will be offering a new "race-style" seat, which will be available on all 911's except the GT3 and GT3RS (which probably will have finished their production runs by the time the seat is an option). It would be nice if this seat were to sit lower or have more after market adapters available.

Many years ago I did sit in a 996 C2 which had great leg and headroom. I did ask the dealership what had been done to the seat and they claimed ignorance...of course.

The old 996 also had a center console delete kit available. I do not think there is one for the 997...yet.
Thanks. You're being infinitely helpful and I appreciate that. BUT, about the race-style...I'll prolly be too wide to fit in those.
Also, bolsters don't really bother me at all...and being able to recline the seat a moderate amount inproves on my leg room. Also, that would increase my headroom. Is the reclining when the seat is all the way back good i.e. can it be reclined a moderate amount?

Another thing...@Byron...I have never felt claustrophobic..so I'm OK.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 AM
docjackson1 is infamous around these parts
i can help you-i am 6'7" and 315 lbs. i have size 17 feet. the answer is that you can fit, but you will not have as much room as you have in the m5. i have driven porsches for 20 years, i have had a 996tt, and now have a 997tt. the 997tt has more room than a 996tt-the seats are lower, and there is more leg room. the older porsches (80's and early 90's) had room behind the front seats to move the seats about an inch and a half back. that is not the case with the new cars. forget the sport or the adaptive seats-they will not let you get far enough back in the seats, plus the side bolsters will be intrusive to you. the only seat that will work will be the standard seat. i also find that by taking your shoes off, and driving in your socks, you will get about 2 or so extra inches of leg room, as your shoes take up room. having said all this, i have driven porsches for quite a while and i feel comfortable in my 997tt. do i have more room in an m5-yes. but when you are 6'7", you have to make some compromises. i like the turbo better than the m5, so i compromise-i am comfortable enough in my car. if you live by nj, let me know and you can sit in mine-hope this helps.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:11 AM
docjackson1 is infamous around these parts
by the way, if you have more specific questions, email me docjackson1@yahoo.com and i will give you my cell phone number, or you can give me yours, and we can talk more in depth.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:19 AM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by docjackson1
by the way, if you have more specific questions, email me docjackson1@yahoo.com and i will give you my cell phone number, or you can give me yours, and we can talk more in depth.
Only on 6speed can we find two guys 6'7", 300+, both interested in 997tts, and one kind enough to help the other out . . .

Old 07-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by MexicoBlue
Only on 6speed can we find two guys 6'7", 300+, both interested in 997tts, and one kind enough to help the other out . . .
Only on 6speed.

Now, @ docjackson1, wow...I appreciate everything so much. If you say I can fit, then I can fit...I wear size 15 shoes though, so foot wiggle room is OK, but I can very well see your point about the shoe on/off...I do have shoes with thin soles/bases, so I think I'll be OK.

For the adaptives, why would they be bad? Do they somehow push you more out of the seat, or it is just that there's bolsters that may annoy your sides? Are they a thicker seat or smthg not allowing the actual seat to go back?

Also, unfortunately, I am quite far from NJ, but thanks for the offer. I noted the email address though, as I will be getting back to you if this thread dies before I get my questions answered, which seam to be answered already (other than those in this post).

So again, thanks! As MexicoBlue said, only on 6speed will you find 2 big beasts like us w/ similar issues!

Old 07-06-2007, 05:51 AM
M-Funf is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GewoW
Only on 6speed.

Now, @ docjackson1, wow...I appreciate everything so much. If you say I can fit, then I can fit...I wear size 15 shoes though, so foot wiggle room is OK, but I can very well see your point about the shoe on/off...I do have shoes with thin soles/bases, so I think I'll be OK.

For the adaptives, why would they be bad? Do they somehow push you more out of the seat, or it is just that there's bolsters that may annoy your sides? Are they a thicker seat or smthg not allowing the actual seat to go back?

Also, unfortunately, I am quite far from NJ, but thanks for the offer. I noted the email address though, as I will be getting back to you if this thread dies before I get my questions answered, which seam to be answered already (other than those in this post).

So again, thanks! As MexicoBlue said, only on 6speed will you find 2 big beasts like us w/ similar issues!
The adaptive seats are a combo of the Power seats and sport seats. There are significantly higher side bolsters (both seat and shoulder). they may squeeze a bigger guy (understatement at 6'7" 300+ lbs) and offer no advantage with regard to head / leg room.
Brian

Old 07-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
Will you still have room for a helmet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So, will I fit?