997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Hardwire Valentine 1 from Homelink??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 PM
crocrr is infamous around these parts
There are many ways to do this. I for one did not want to 1) splice into any wires overhead. 2) run wires all the way to the fuse box.

I used the power from the vanity light. There are two terminals there that give the vanity light power. I simply removed the mount where the visor clips into. I tied the Valentine wires to it securely, tucked in the wires in the overhead console, and ran the lead to the radar through the rear view mirror hole. You can either mount it via suction cups or clip it to the visor.

It does not power off with the ignition right away, but if you leave it on, it does shut off after a few minutes. When you open the door, it turns right back on.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:01 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
A bit off topic.. I have a passport 8500 and I love it except too many false alarms. Does the Valentine allow you to bypass X and K signals? The only ones I ever get that I should be concerned about are Ka (95% of time) and laser (usually too late at that point). In the city my detector goes off every other block it seems?

Old 09-23-2007, 09:28 PM
ukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gradyex
A bit off topic.. I have a passport 8500 and I love it except too many false alarms. Does the Valentine allow you to bypass X and K signals? The only ones I ever get that I should be concerned about are Ka (95% of time) and laser (usually too late at that point). In the city my detector goes off every other block it seems?

Yes, you can disable each band if you wish.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:10 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Careful what you are wiring into guys. Most of your system is a 5 volt can controlled line. Overload it and you will pop the gateway and or cause issues. You need to make sure you are on top of a 12 volt line and not a 5 volt. Also test with an LED meter, not a normal volt meter.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
Careful what you are wiring into guys. Most of your system is a 5 volt can controlled line. Overload it and you will pop the gateway and or cause issues. You need to make sure you are on top of a 12 volt line and not a 5 volt. Also test with an LED meter, not a normal volt meter.
Stephen, can you elaborate please. I used a regular voltmeter. I assumed that the vanity lights would need a 12 v draw.

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:22 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Voltmeters are an active reader which means there is voltage between the leads and the unit operates only with a battery. This voltage will run back into a CAN line which in turn can damage the module or the gateway given the voltage sent back into the line. An LED is a passive type of reader which provides no voltage and reacts between a given voltage range such as 5VDC-14VDC. Some will light different colors depending on voltage and polarity.

What you have done is ok, the lights in the system are 12VDC any way, but your Homelink and various other setups in the cars are CAN BUS and should be tested carefully.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
Voltmeters are an active reader which means there is voltage between the leads and the unit operates only with a battery. This voltage will run back into a CAN line which in turn can damage the module or the gateway given the voltage sent back into the line. An LED is a passive type of reader which provides no voltage and reacts between a given voltage range such as 5VDC-14VDC. Some will light different colors depending on voltage and polarity.

What you have done is ok, the lights in the system are 12VDC any way, but your Homelink and various other setups in the cars are CAN BUS and should be tested carefully.

Thanks Stephen.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:53 AM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Can someone refer me to a DIY for running the cable through the headliner, a-pillar, and hooking it into the fuse box? Hope to get a reply on this. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:02 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Is anyone familiar with the Stealth One interface for the V1 to hook up to the BMW I-bus system?

I have it on my E39M5- it displays the alerts on the dash on the OBD display... no lights on the V1 itself. Very cool

Anything like it for Porsche? I assume not since it would be pretty popular.

A

Old 09-29-2007, 08:32 AM
ukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ard
Is anyone familiar with the Stealth One interface for the V1 to hook up to the BMW I-bus system?

I have it on my E39M5- it displays the alerts on the dash on the OBD display... no lights on the V1 itself. Very cool

Anything like it for Porsche? I assume not since it would be pretty popular.

A
I haven't seen anything that would integrate with the dash display, only the slimmed down remote display units or mirror integration, I've talked to some people who are aiming to embed the display in the cluster but haven't seen anything near completion.