997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Hardwire Valentine 1 from Homelink??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:52 AM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
Hardwire Valentine 1 from Homelink??

In my 2006 M3, I was able to tap into the "hot wire" for the homelink to power my V1. This convenient because power for the homelink is hot only when the key is in the ACC or when the car is started. that way it always is off when the key is off. The homelink in the turbo is the same way ie. only on when the key is in the ACC or car is started.

has anyone wired their radar detector in this manner? I tried it last week but couldnt get it to work. I didnt know which wire was the "hot" wire so I tried them all with no success.

any thoughts?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:21 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I hardwired mine to the power lead on the rear view mirror. There are complete instructions on Rennlist 997 forums

Old 07-16-2007, 04:40 PM
skiboard06 is infamous around these parts
Possible to hardwire to the sunroof motor power.

edit: Do you have the hidden display module? If so, where do you plan on putting it? (I would love see pictures of anyone else's V1 setups in a 997 chasis)

Old 07-17-2007, 09:40 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
can anyone point me in the right directions for these detailed directions? I cant seem to find them. thanks!

Old 07-20-2007, 10:06 AM
ukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond repute
It has to be easier to run to the fuse box isn't it and just tap an ignition wire? Even if you tap in near the mirror you'll need to get the hard wire adaptor in there somewhere too. Attach the hard wire adaptor by the fuse box then run the V1 cable up inside the A pillar cover.

I have my V1 in the back, cable down the tunnel to the console for power then behind the dash and up the a-pillar to the remote display which is embedded in the rear view mirror.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:18 AM
slykmr is infamous around these parts
Yeah i just went for the fuse box option. I think i used #15 if i recall. ran the phone cord up the pillar and headliner and that was it. Merely a matter of removing the 2 screws on the fuse box cover.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:37 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ukchris
It has to be easier to run to the fuse box isn't it and just tap an ignition wire? Even if you tap in near the mirror you'll need to get the hard wire adaptor in there somewhere too. Attach the hard wire adaptor by the fuse box then run the V1 cable up inside the A pillar cover.

I have my V1 in the back, cable down the tunnel to the console for power then behind the dash and up the a-pillar to the remote display which is embedded in the rear view mirror.
I like your mehtod. Can you post some pics .

Old 07-20-2007, 11:26 AM
ukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond repute
This is my V1 (in my Boxster):

And my mirror:

Old 09-21-2007, 12:26 AM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
So I tried hardwiring the V1 to the maplights per the instructions on renntech. Thing is my car does not have auto dimming mirrors and I followed the instuctions for cars that do not have the auto dimming mirror 9-wire harness. Well the V1 works when I turn the center light on, but obviously turns off as soon as the light is switched off. How do I wire it to the sunroof for switched power?

Old 09-22-2007, 11:14 AM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Has anyone wired this into the sunroof switch? Havn't found any DIY or info on hardwiring a radar detector into the sunroof switched power for a 997...

Old 09-22-2007, 12:39 PM
THinthedesert is infamous around these parts
I can't add anything related to the wiring question, but I have a question related to the topic of installing a V1.

Are there other mounting options other than using a visor to hang it on (which makes use of the visor hard or maybe impossible) and the suction cup method which is not very positive.

I had a suction cup mount for a Passport years ago, and it used to fall off now & then even with new suction cups, which was pretty irritating.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I would wire it in to the back of the fuse box, it's quite easy, you just run the wires down the A-pillar then behind the dash.

As for mounting I've made a few brackets for people to mount it in the rear, in my Boxster I have mine on an acrylic bracket between/behind the seats, the same works pretty well in a 996/997.

Chris.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:52 PM
twnj is infamous around these parts
How do you get from the A-pillar to behind the dash to the fuse box? There doesn't seem to be an obvious gap (without taking off the cover on the A-pillar).

Old 09-23-2007, 04:03 PM
On the Boxster you unscrew the sun visor mount and a screw under the plastic cover for the alarm sensor and the top piece comes off, the vertical piece then pulls off. The 997 should be very similar.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:18 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by avi8tir
In my 2006 M3, I was able to tap into the "hot wire" for the homelink to power my V1. This convenient because power for the homelink is hot only when the key is in the ACC or when the car is started. that way it always is off when the key is off. The homelink in the turbo is the same way ie. only on when the key is in the ACC or car is started.

has anyone wired their radar detector in this manner? I tried it last week but couldnt get it to work. I didnt know which wire was the "hot" wire so I tried them all with no success.

any thoughts?
I too owned a 2006M3 and traded for my turbo. Used the moonroof wire for the M3. With the turbo, just go to the fuse box under dash left side. In side lid is diagram of fuses. As I remember #15 is off with key (for auto-trans). If you have auto-trans, look on fuse diagram for another fuse place. You can buy the little connections that fit into fuse holder at Radioshack. To this you hook the red wire. The ground wire can be any bolt under dash. I used the brown wire on my clutch switch. I tried that roof stuff and it more than a pain...not good idea with porsche, just too much work. Look up Johnww on this webpage, where I have explained this process in more detail. Then if the V1 is mounted on a visor, align the wire along window frame. Actually can be tucked behind the molding. With tts, you gotta have a V1.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hardwire Valentine 1 from Homelink??