997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Taking a survey regarding the stock suspension on the 997 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:03 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Lou, how aggressive were you able to get with the car at stock ride ht? I'm taking it into my shop Thr for pre-track prep incld alignment.
C

Old 07-18-2007, 07:32 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I never got specs at the stock height. I would ask them to give you as much neg camber as possible, then zero toe the rear

Old 07-18-2007, 08:11 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I'll do that and post a sheet.
C

Old 07-18-2007, 08:14 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Okay this morning I took it around a sharp corner and it floated around - it was not a high rate of speed but enough to now that any faster would have been nervous because the front was bouncy and the rear didn't seem as planted. Now also take into account my tires have only a 100 miles on them so they are not exactly broken in. I am trying to put miles on the car so I drive it to work for the past 3 days but its only 15 miles each way! This weekend I hope to break it in a little more. Maybe a road trip to Asheville to take pictures and then come back.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Mike2727 is infamous around these parts
I am wondering if there is any difference between the Euro spec and US spec TT as far as handling setup is concerned

Because most if not all US spec cars seem to be less capable handling wise, and more "comfortable" than the Euro counterparts

Would be nice if any of the info could be compared (if any differences)

Mike

Old 07-18-2007, 09:00 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I think this is mostly due to ROW height and the springs are the culprit. Can we get the Euro Springs?

I will going for TechArt Springs in less than a week if I don't hear anything back on Bilsteins PSS9's Coilovers.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:10 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
IIRC euro and NA heights & springs are identical

Old 07-18-2007, 09:10 AM
This was posted, take a look at the M3CSL speed and the 997TT (floaty in corners), I guess the TT can use some GT3/RS handling dose

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=90952

I think they went a little to far with the "comfortable part" on the 997TT

I guess a AWD GT2 would be the answer

Mike

Old 07-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by eclou
IIRC euro and NA heights & springs are identical
I thought turbo's' (member) mentioning something about ROW height on his Turbo compared to ours. Someone thought he was lowered and he said the ROW heights were different than ours.

Was this a mistake?

This is a quote from Turbo'S'

Car is not lowered but it may be that Euro cars are lower than North American cars. I have noticed a few pictures of cars from the states that look higher set. May be that the driveways are typicaly steeper than here?

Last edited by ALPINE_997; 07-18-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:01 AM
The ride height has to do with the new pedestrian bumper laws of the EU. Their cars are higher now as well. I know most of the older Porsches had lower ROW heights than us.

I think the main problems is more of US spec vs Euro spec magazine editors

Last edited by eclou; 07-18-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by twnj
I've been following the few other threads where this has been discussed because as much as I love the car it definitely feels very "loose" or "floaty" in moderate to hard cornering. Keep in mind that this is my first Pcar so I'm comparing this feeling to my past 2 BMWs, an M3 and M5 which felt much more confidence inspiring in this respect.

It's so noticiable that I thought it might actually be the awd system transferring power from back to front or something like that. It was actually a bit scary the first time I experienced it. I've never noticed that it was related to braking but does seem to be more noticeable at higher speeds (I suppose that's not a surprise). To answer your poll:

1. no alignment issues that I'm aware of
2. yes, have the lsd
3. PS2
4. Steel brakes
5. haven't done A-B systematic comparisons on the same corner but seems a little more planted in sport mode
6. no mods
7. no tracking

I think you might be onto something here because it makes sense. Another highly respected member in another forum seems to feel the same way. If Porsche could upgrade the software in the new AWD setup it might make a significant difference. Occasionally, I noticed this "squirmy" feeling coming from the rear axle of my 997S but it was not so obvious and because the S has less HP its more controllable. You have the
PS2's I see so a tire swap for me would make little difference except provide a bit more grip.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 PM
I wonder what is cheaper, trying to make a GT3 out of a TT (handling wise) or getting a GT3 up to TT performance

Maybe buy a GT3 and modify it and throw in a 997TT engine

Old 07-18-2007, 02:13 PM
twnj is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gradyex
I think you might be onto something here because it makes sense. Another highly respected member in another forum seems to feel the same way. If Porsche could upgrade the software in the new AWD setup it might make a significant difference. Occasionally, I noticed this "squirmy" feeling coming from the rear axle of my 997S but it was not so obvious and because the S has less HP its more controllable. You have the
PS2's I see so a tire swap for me would make little difference except provide a bit more grip.
To me the movement just felt very artificial. "Squirmy" is a good descriptor. The rear end is definitly not breaking loose but it's "wagging" almost like the rear tires are tramlining on wavy grooves in the road. I guess I was thinking it felt like suspension loading and unloading and that made me think power transfer. Hard to believe that Porsche wouldn't spec zero total toe in the rear if this solves the problem but then again I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mike2727
I wonder what is cheaper, trying to make a GT3 out of a TT (handling wise) or getting a GT3 up to TT performance

Maybe buy a GT3 and modify it and throw in a 997TT engine
Yep, everything's a compromise.

Anyway, to answer the survey.

1- not that i'm aware of
2- I have the LSD
3- Bridgestone's
4- PCCB
5- stiffer suspension is used
6- no
7- not yet

I will say that my former '06 997S seemed more stable/planted on the same roads/exit ramps that will cause the TT's rear to slide a bit. Maybe i'm pushing the TT a bit more, but I think the speeds are pretty similiar. Maybe saying the S felt more "controllable" might be a good way to describe it.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:21 PM
fcracer is infamous around these partsfcracer is infamous around these parts
Does the 997 TT have something similar to the 993 TT's kinetic toe adjustment? Many alignment shops got it wrong on my 993 TT, and it felt very much like how you describe, especially when going over a metal expansion beam or painted line on a wet road. It became even more apparent when the tires were wearing down.

Check that rear toe setting and see if it helps. It may also be the bushings setup in the rear that allows the car to toe-in under cornering. Once again, not sure if the 997 TT is setup that way, so this is all speculative.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Taking a survey regarding the stock suspension on the 997 TT