997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Front splitter project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:29 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Front splitter project

Bought a new front lip and had it painted. Decided to mess around with some sheets of ABS plastic and fabbed up some splitters.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Ag02M5 has a spectacular aura aboutAg02M5 has a spectacular aura about
Looks pretty good. Now just need them in CF!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:36 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Wow, that really looks good! How are they attached to the lower lips? I'd LOVE it if you could make me one! I've been thinking of getting my lips painted and these would definitely go a long ways in protecting the lips!

Old 07-17-2007, 01:22 AM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
Subtle, but nice.

Originally Posted by Ag02M5
Looks pretty good. Now just need them in CF!

Umm no, they would crack with even very slight contact. CF is extremely brittle, not good as a splitter for a lowered, street-driven car.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:10 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I made these from 3/16" ABS plastic sheeting. I got a whole 4'x8' sheet. They are attached at the existing rear screw hole, then had to use new small lag bolts on the side and front (have to drill small holes). I cut them with a fine band saw but could probably make several from the existing template

Old 07-17-2007, 02:37 AM
master_jcp is infamous around these partsmaster_jcp is infamous around these parts
wBy me the pics aren`t working!!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:35 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
Did you install the new front lip? If so, how difficult is that to do?

Old 07-17-2007, 05:44 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I have always liked splitters that are small like that. That is awesome! I was mainly thinking that it would save my lip from small scrapes on driveways and speedbumps. Too funny I was eyeing my ACS splitters from my BMW M3 in a few pictures and thought about the splitters in a small version for the Turbo.

Can you provide a template? Or pictures of the project as far as drill holes, lag bolts, etc. I would like to have a set like these.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:11 AM
mawyatt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eclou
Bought a new front lip and had it painted. Decided to mess around with some sheets of ABS plastic and fabbed up some splitters.

ECLOU,

Images are not showing for me either. Can you repost?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 07-17-2007, 06:23 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by master_jcp
wBy me the pics aren`t working!!
Not working for me either - Only getting a small square with an X in center
Any ideas?????

Old 07-17-2007, 06:25 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
Are you not worried at all about the aerodynamic untended consequences of adding splitters randomly to the air dam? Granted they may look cool but they may also create lift, no?

Old 07-17-2007, 06:30 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Now that is Impressive!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:31 AM
They are so small I doubt they would have any consequences. I was thinking of stretching one all the way across the front as 1 piece and taking it further out in front but was worried the aero forces would rip it off. If you look at the various pieces from tuners, they all incorporate a similar design

Old 07-17-2007, 06:43 AM
LAT
LAT is infamous around these parts
FYI

According to Sport Auto magazine the Aerodynamics of the car are as follows.

Front, Lift of 8 Kg.
Rear, Downforce of 12 Kg. tested at 200 km/h

Therefore a little extra downforce in the front would help balance things nicely.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
Looks great! Any detailed pictures from underneath?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front splitter project