997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Headlight Security? Info please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:55 PM
TurboRx is infamous around these parts
Headlight Security? Info please

I'm aware that the 997 has a big problem with headlight theft. My dealer has recommended that I install a headlight alarm system onto my car. It's about 200 to 300$ so it's not too bad but, is it worth it?

It's basically an alarm ONLY for ur headlights and comes with an LED that when armed flashes to warn would-be theives. It does not have a pager or other warning device to alert you though.

what do you guys think?

Old 07-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
I never heard of headlight theft. I am more curious what the thiefs do with the headlights. Personally I would no pay for the alarm.

Aloha

Byron

Old 07-23-2007, 06:09 PM
They sell the xenon and ballasts. Ricers put them on their hondas. Its usually a problem in cities like Miami, NY, LA etc....

Old 07-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Geoff is infamous around these partsGeoff is infamous around these parts
i've heard of people with b5 s4's (huge headlight theft problem) putting razor blades on the lights so would be thiefs get nice and cut up

Old 07-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
TurboRx thanks. Are you parking the car on the streets? If so maybe an alarm.

Aloha

Byron

Old 07-23-2007, 08:29 PM
No street parking here....gargae kept. However, most HL are stolen when you're parked having dinner/movie or at work. For example, valets can inform thier buddies of a potential car and while your out to dinner you're getting robbed of your lights. It happens often enough here for people to be concerned. I know my dad's friend sold his 911 after being robbed 5 times in less than a year. That's 2500$ in deductables(minimum) plus a hike in insurance rate. If you take your car to Miami Beach for a night out and leave it in a garage or in plain view your running a nice risk of being jacked.

Most targeted are 911, Nissan, Infiniti, Audi.

I'm actually surprised I that I didnt find info on this when I searched the forum.

You are all warned. lol

Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
This actually WAS a huge problem several years ago with the 996 and I'm sure somewhere in the archives is the threads about it. There was actually a sting set up and also a newspaper article was written about it and the writer posted on 6speed for research. I didn't realize this was still a problem, I thought Porsche addressed this sitation with the 997.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Scott,

you are absolutely correct. There was an entire article about this in some news papers and magazines. It has def. NOT been addressed or fixed. I saw one just the other day with the light missing. It's been decreasing in frequency perhaps because the technology is getting cheaper. A couple yrs. ago Xenon was state of the art. Nowadays almost all cars have them as options, if not standard.

I'll prob do the alarm just for some piece of mind....but i won't be surprised the day I find my "eyes" missing.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:01 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Geoff
i've heard of people with b5 s4's (huge headlight theft problem) putting razor blades on the lights so would be thiefs get nice and cut up
wait till someone gets cut and sue's the owner

An alarm would be a waste IMO, your lights would be gone by the time anyone reacted

Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 AM
JL993 is a jewel in the roughJL993 is a jewel in the roughJL993 is a jewel in the rough
A whole article for the 996 Headlights theft was issued in Excellence some time ago, did not know that the new 997 has the same problem though. It is a shame now you can not drive your car to dinner, girlfriend , movies, or whatever cause all this theft, fortunately here in Mexico we do not have this problem yet in new Porsches. However it was very common 5 or 6 years ago that they stole the headlights and outside mirrors on any brand mostly Nissan, Chevys, VWs and so. For the Headlights they came with a very clever idea to stop this theft and it was very cheap and does not affect the appearance of the front end something similar could be done in a Porsche it will be a good business if someone could manufacture this in the US or we can export this stuff from Mexico !!!!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Absolute Motoring is infamous around these parts
A friend of mine has the alarm on his headlights and they still stole his headlights. Unfortunately they pop out so easily on the 997 that by the time anybody notices the alarm sounding, they are gone.

On the bright side, I have seen a huge decrease in this type of theft lately. Last year you couldn't go 2 blocks down here without seeing a Porsche or Infinity with missing headlights.