997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Water puddle can be dangerous to a tt's health

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:11 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Let face it, Flintstone wide tires and rain are not the best combination.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Texas911 is infamous around these parts
That's why I drive my Ranger Rover Sport s/c on bad weather days.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Texas911
That's why I drive my Ranger Rover Sport s/c on bad weather days.
Me too.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 AM
PbPedis is infamous around these parts
As above...in heavy rain, take it easy in a TT. GT3 with OEM tires?...park it.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:44 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
That's what the King Ranch is for, if I'm stuck in the rain with the 911 I dial it down two or three notches, It's basic hi performance driving 101.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 AM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
I drove my 996TT to Memphis and back (130 miles) in a pretty good rain storm and tracked it all weekend, seeing speeds up to 140mph in the rain on the track. Never faltered or wavered. Rock solid even at 85mph on the interstate. I was running PS2's on 18" rims.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:00 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
That mirrors my C4S experience, but as others have said the 997TT is a lot more rear biased ( than the 996tt/c4s platform) with a wider trac which would be an issue.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Ag Surfer is infamous around these parts
Maybe this should be moved to the GT3 forum and maybe the title shouldbe changed.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:34 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by tblackj
I drove my 996TT to Memphis and back (130 miles) in a pretty good rain storm and tracked it all weekend, seeing speeds up to 140mph in the rain on the track. Never faltered or wavered. Rock solid even at 85mph on the interstate. I was running PS2's on 18" rims.

Did your 996tt come with 18s?? I have 19's on my 997 and was thinking of going to 18s for a bit softer ride. They say the 18's will give additional side to side movement, but not sure. All the race porsches have 18 inch tires and if there was any benefit fromn 19s, they would have them. I understand the 19s cannot hold up as well on sharp turns and can be rim-cut if turn too servere.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:49 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Be careful with any significant changes in tire size geometry, as this will f up the awd/abs system.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 AM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johnww
[/b][/color]
Did your 996tt come with 18s?? I have 19's on my 997 and was thinking of going to 18s for a bit softer ride. They say the 18's will give additional side to side movement, but not sure. All the race porsches have 18 inch tires and if there was any benefit fromn 19s, they would have them. I understand the 19s cannot hold up as well on sharp turns and can be rim-cut if turn too servere.
Mine came with factory 18"s and I put a set of Techart 18"s on the car for track tires. I really didn't notice a softer ride but the track ride was a little bit better. More sidewall=better ride on the track.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:09 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by tblackj
Mine came with factory 18"s and I put a set of Techart 18"s on the car for track tires. I really didn't notice a softer ride but the track ride was a little bit better. More sidewall=better ride on the track.
sorry about this....but you have 18" both places. But it sounds like your porsche came from the factory with 19s. If you really didn't notice any difference on street driving (less pounding) in going from 19 to 18, I may stay with my 19s.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:51 PM
SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !
In heavy rainstorms, I drive my 4-wheel drive Dodge Hemi.. Alot safer for me and the family!!!

Old 08-08-2007, 12:39 AM
W211 is infamous around these parts
I find the 997TT extremely stable in the rain/snow with the right tires. I have Bridgestone RE050A and Continental TS810S, both with 305 in the back.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:02 AM
Originally Posted by johnww
sorry about this....but you have 18" both places. But it sounds like your porsche came from the factory with 19s. If you really didn't notice any difference on street driving (less pounding) in going from 19 to 18, I may stay with my 19s.
I typed it correctly. My 996tt came from the factory with 18" rims. I put a set of 18" Techarts on there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Water puddle can be dangerous to a tt's health