997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Water puddle can be dangerous to a tt's health

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Schuepbach is infamous around these parts
wow what a moron, anyone who has driven a car with the michelin sport cup tires knows what an utter disaster it is in the rain.

Last edited by Schuepbach; 08-08-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2K7997TT
Thanks for sharing.

I thought the AWD was bullet-proof in the rain.

Nothing is bullet proof in the rain............

Old 08-08-2007, 02:09 PM
DrivItLkUStolIt is infamous around these parts
If it is going to be nasty I take the Cayenne TT, but no matter what you drive you have to respect the road conditions.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:59 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by Schuepbach
wow what a moron, anyone who has driven a car with the michelin sport cup tires knows what an utter disaster it is in the rain.
Good grief, we have know-it-alls driving new GT3s (and turbos). Best to direct such moron remarks directly to CAR mag's professional driver who experienced the disaster and wished only to remind readers again to be alert with these power-cars in intense rain storms.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:31 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I got nailed in that monsoon this am in NY, the turbo held it's own that's all I can say. the car was a mess thisafternoon, spent four hrs cleaning/rejexing it again. Hope the rest of you guys made out ok.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:06 PM
SpeedLives is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jeff_NJ
I disagree with the opinion that AWD would drive right through that. If the tires actually hydroplaned, they are not touching the ground. If that is the case, it doesnt matter if a driveshaft is attached to the wheels or not, you are along for the ride. If they had a less agressive tire on the car, they stood a better chance of not hydroplaning, but thats not going to happen on a GT3.

With wide tires and an agressive tread, slower speed in rain is the only good option. The driver was admittedly speeding when he hit the water, so driver error is the reason for this crash.
exactly. AWD or not, when your car hydroplanes, it's over water(hence the term "hydroplane"). nothing at that point could save you, you just have to pray the tires make contact with actual pavement as quickly as possible.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:10 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
:)

The last two comments. Spot on.

AWD + Puddle of H20 + MPH>65 =
2WD + Puddle of H2O + MPH>65 =
2WD + Puddle of H2O + MPH>65 + MPSC =

Old 08-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Well, AWD doesn't mean anything when surface grip is gone...I drove my TT from FLA to CA in Dec 2 years ago.....passing from OK into TX...right around Shamrock (Hi Buddy!) We started hitting those little ice patches that develop under the overpasses.....****! Freaked me out.....ended up doing about 50mph for about 75 miles....even at that speed.....I would hit those little (black ice?) patches and total loss of traction for about 100 feet.....steering wheel would shudder real hard....no, wasn't cool at all. Saw about 6-7 cars and big rigs crashed off the road in that 75 mile stretch.

Chris

Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Cedric is infamous around these parts
Rollcage saved his life?
I thought those things were notorious for knocking you out of the back of your head when you crash.
Or is it the aftermarket ones?

Old 08-10-2007, 08:01 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
ANY car can hydroplane, the level of difficulty with which a car is put in that position is greatly decresed with a) AWD and b) Better tires.

I have driven home in rain like that a couple of weeks ago in my TT on HOOSIERS, it was actually kinda fun, lucily our roads here drain well so there was no standing water, dont plan on doing that again.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, technically rollcages do NOT belong in street driven vehicles......too dangerous..you don't want an solid steel object 6 inches from your head in a collision.....right? In a accident on the street a well installed and designed roll cage/bar will do one of two things....F**k you up when you hit it.....or help save you because the integrity of the car is improved....

Chris

Originally Posted by Wow
Rollcage saved his life?
I thought those things were notorious for knocking you out of the back of your head when you crash.
Or is it the aftermarket ones?

Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 PM
belinko is infamous around these parts
Sideways?

OK, sorry for the noob question, but after reading through all of the posts, I can't help but ask my self what causes a vehicle to turn sideways as it proceeds to hypdroplane through water?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:46 AM
treynor has a spectacular aura abouttreynor has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by belinko
OK, sorry for the noob question, but after reading through all of the posts, I can't help but ask my self what causes a vehicle to turn sideways as it proceeds to hypdroplane through water?
Drag on the two sides of the car is typically asymmetric while going through water (i.e. it's deeper on one side) and the car will turn towards the side with the greater drag.

A general comment - AWD is useful for *acceleration* in traction-limited situations. It doesn't do a thing for you in steady-state driving as was described in the original post. Further, PSM will act on all 4 wheels regardless of whether the car is AWD or RWD. Any light car with wide tires is particularly subject to hydroplaning; tires with shallow or no tread are far more susceptible than those with deep tread, etc.

If I had to pin a cause on the accident described, it would be in agreement with earlier posts: deep water, relatively high speed, and shallow-tread tires. TT vs GT3 doesn't make a lick of difference in those conditions.