997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Nav TV ipod interface

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:17 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Update

I have always been a skeptic of the whole clear bra thing, but there seems to be no Porsche leather bras anymore, I gave it a shot on the nose only. Well, they did a really good job, you can hardly notice the line. So I decided to get the rest of the thing done (1/3 hood, fender fronts and mirrors). All I can say is WOW! Why didn't I do this before?!! You can barely tell the lines at all unless you are a couple of feet away. These guys did a great job (ClearTech Pro in Houston). Very professional. I have the 3M product in a kit form, the Venture shield is also supposed to be very good. Either way you can't go wrong. Ahhh peace of mind....
The Nav TV iPod interface is working good too!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:10 PM
SG
SG has a spectacular aura aboutSG has a spectacular aura aboutSG has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Yes Cleartech, I'm still debating the 1/3 hood. I don't like the looks of the line but I also know the reality of Houston traffic...
I did it on my meteor TT...fenders, too. Looks fine.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:28 PM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
Eric, I'm on my second NAVTV unit and I'm about ready to tear it out and throw it out the window. Will you PM me a price on the Dension?

Old 08-28-2007, 12:31 PM
RAY in Pa. is infamous around these parts
Problems with NavTv?

Elmel,
My dealer is steering me towards a NavTv unit. What problems are you having and did you install it yourself? How long have you owned them? (both units)

Old 08-28-2007, 12:40 PM
SLP
SLP is infamous around these parts
Angry

Noticed the post, thought Id sway over from the Cayenne board to shed some light on this!

I got my first nav-tv unit for the cayenne in march....returned it in july b/c it basically stopped working, july got my 2nd unit.....worked well...a few glitches....would display 'no ipod' for a day then start working again....then i went to montreal (from my home in NY) and of course the entire way back it didnt work...so i sat in silence! I am now on my 3rd unit that i just installed on sunday....today's tuesday....and the playlist froze up on me again. Im giving this unit two more weeks before i send it back again and ask for a refund or something because this is ridiculous--and i did pay $500 for it!

Oh and i installed it myself...install is extremely easy...directions make it sound confusing but the only 'difficult' part is hooking up the power...but i hooked it up to a fuse within the fuse box and was good to go.

anyone know of any other units and have had success??

Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 PM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RAY in Pa.
Elmel,
My dealer is steering me towards a NavTv unit. What problems are you having and did you install it yourself? How long have you owned them? (both units)
Mine was installed professionally. I've had it for several months (the newer unit for just a few weeks). The newer unit does not behave any better or worse than the older one.

Whenever I start my car, or restart PCM, I get an error that says the CD changer is not available. This is merely "cosmetic" but annoying nonetheless.

The track lists are very buggy and unpredictable. Sometimes when I'm set to playlists, the track list shows tracks (rather than playlists). It's almost as if the track list is showing whatever I had selected previously -- as if it's not current on what I'm doing.

Sometimes I need to restart the car and/or PCM for PCM to see the unit. I've never found a reliable way to do this. It's very hit and miss and is super frustrating.

Sometimes the unit will jump back several songs in a playlist for no apparent reason.

Sometimes the unit works just fine. Sometimes.

If the NAVTV unit is more reliable than the Dension, that would be really sad.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:55 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I haven't had that experience with my unit, I hope it stays that way. I don't have any trouble with playlists as you have described, they work well for the most part. I did have it not recognize the ipod ("no CD changer") a couple of times, but this resolved on it's own. i called the company and they said a software fix is coming. I have heard of the Dennison units doing the same thing, I think it is more to do with the fiberoptic loop and the ipod itself.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:01 AM
thuggy has a spectacular aura aboutthuggy has a spectacular aura about
I have what I believe to be the 2nd gen Nav TV and its pretty reliable, no more or less start up recognition problems than I had in my factory unit in my BMW M3, I think its the nature of the Ipod as I don't have 100% reliability when I hook to my computer either.

Two issues are lack of random feature and a 99 song limit on a playlist. The play list limit apparently has been fixed with the latest version, but I'll wait for that as upgrades seem to require sending the unit back to Nav-TV whereas I believe the denison firmware can be upgraded in car.