997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Question for IA Stephen K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:13 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Question for IA Stephen K

Stephen - in the latest Panorama Tech Q&A you mention a new software version with mapping that seems to drastically help performance across the range. Can you shed some more light on this? How do I find out if I have the latest version? Will the dealer automaticaaly reflash if the car's in for service or do I have to ask for it? If I decide to do a GIAC upgrade do I have to have the latest Porsche version? Thanks.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:40 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Ha, I have had a ton of Emails from that write up.
If you choose a GIAC program I automatically update the software when I flash. It will not matter what version you have I can update it unless you don't want that.
<O
If you want just the stock program to be reflashed to the newest versions Porsche has you will need to ask your local dealer to do it.
<O
Will the newer stock software help the car run that much better. Probably not, the code is updated and they try to correct errors that are in the program as the car continues production. For example, the car will flood out if the coolant sensor dies. It should go to a default map of -40 degrees and still start. Instead -40 has some ungodly amount of fuel percentage added to the program and prevent the car from starting. While this issue is not fixed it is ones like this that they work on. Smooth boost maps (early programs all had a serious glitch in them) and so on. Will you get "more" HP. No. Not from the factory program. Yes, from the other.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:47 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Stephen, sent you an email

Old 08-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
Ha, I have had a ton of Emails from that write up.
If you choose a GIAC program I automatically update the software when I flash. It will not matter what version you have I can update it unless you don't want that.
<O
If you want just the stock program to be reflashed to the newest versions Porsche has you will need to ask your local dealer to do it.
<O
Will the newer stock software help the car run that much better. Probably not, the code is updated and they try to correct errors that are in the program as the car continues production. For example, the car will flood out if the coolant sensor dies. It should go to a default map of -40 degrees and still start. Instead -40 has some ungodly amount of fuel percentage added to the program and prevent the car from starting. While this issue is not fixed it is ones like this that they work on. Smooth boost maps (early programs all had a serious glitch in them) and so on. Will you get "more" HP. No. Not from the factory program. Yes, from the other.
Does your program make fixes like the fuel problem/coolant sensor issue?

Old 08-17-2007, 07:25 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Periokid
Does your program make fixes like the fuel problem/coolant sensor issue?
Based on his response, when Stephen flashes your ECU with the GIAC program he also includes the most recent Porsche mapping so if the Porsche remapping fixes it then the answer is yes.