997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Strut bar....worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 03:26 PM
TurboRx is infamous around these parts
Strut bar....worth it?

Haven't found much, if any, info on strut bars for the 997tt. I'm looking at the front bar and was wondering if its even worth spending the $.

thanks

Old 08-18-2007, 03:55 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
No. Every 996/997 already has a front strut bar from the factory, in fact the same exact bar is used on the Cup cars (factory racing cars). I seriously doubt any aftermarket bar would make any difference at all. Unless the aftermarket company can provide some evidence that it is superior to the factory engineered part I would pass. This thinking is left over from the older 911/964/993s where it actually is needed. Sorry this is a pet peeve of mine, anyone trying to peddle these to 996/997s either doesn't know anything about the car or is trying to make a fast buck. Save your money.

Last edited by TT Gasman; 08-18-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:02 AM
TurboRx is infamous around these parts
sweet. thanks for the info.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:17 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Anyone know where I can get a strut bar? j/k...

Old 08-20-2007, 01:13 AM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Anyone know where I can get a strut bar? j/k...

I'd sell you mine buddy but now my car handles like a GT3! I have always bought strut bars for my cars and while this car already has some diagonal braces already in place there are none directly bolted to the front struts. Can I feel any improvement after installation? It seems to stiffen the front end a bit but its all subjective and not something that is obvious. The install is simple and takes less than 5-10 minutes. The price varies but I have seen it for $275.00 at most places.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:09 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
If you're going to monkey around with that strut bar, be very careful with the studs on top of the struts. These nuts do not have a high torque spec and it is easy to SNAP them clean off, I have seen this several times at the track. Then you can buy a brand new front strut to match the new bar.
Gradyex if you think you can feel the difference, that's good. But the fact remains Porsche Motorsports still uses the factory bar, I wouldn't mess with it . My .02 of course.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:08 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
$275 is throw-away money for a Porsche mod. I might buy one just to lower the average of my mod costs

Old 08-20-2007, 12:12 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by eclou
$275 is throw-away money for a Porsche mod. I might buy one just to lower the average of my mod costs

- I don't think that will bring down your average at all.

Gradyex - put those darn CheapArts on would ya. I will post pics of mine. You can barely tell they are on but they have saved by front spoiler twice in the last week.

Thanks Eugene!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:44 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I have scraped the crap out of mine. Some really horrific sounding episodes too, but a quick inspection reveals everything AOK! I've also run these up to 160+ in Mexico, and they are very rigid and stable

Old 08-20-2007, 02:04 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
If you're going to monkey around with that strut bar, be very careful with the studs on top of the struts. These nuts do not have a high torque spec and it is easy to SNAP them clean off, I have seen this several times at the track. Then you can buy a brand new front strut to match the new bar.
Gradyex if you think you can feel the difference, that's good. But the fact remains Porsche Motorsports still uses the factory bar, I wouldn't mess with it . My .02 of course.

Thanks for the tip but I torqued the bolts with my torque wrench. If I remember correctly it was in the low twenties (lbs per sq ft).

Alpine the H&R springs are on their way and I should have them installed in the next few weeks. I may ask him to dial in the Ruf specs for the alignment. The squirmy feeling should be virtually gone with the drop. The spacers, air pressure drop, and front strut brace (?), already made a difference (I took the car up to speed and took a few sweepers at the same speed as before and the car didn't bite back). The bad news is yesterday was terribly windy and I encountered a "rock storm" on 101 near the SF airport. When I got home i saw direct hits on the right front windshield (yes its cracked) and a nice chip right on the rear wing. At least the ventureshield did its job on the front of the car but I am really bummed right now. Later I will post some photos on a new thread and try and get some advice from you guys. This happened as I was crossing several overpasses above me and rocks must of been driven by gusty winds. The one that hit my front windshield was Loud and I knew there would be damage. It could have been much worse but its bad enough!

Old 08-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Dude I'm sorry to hear about your windshield, that sucks! Unfortunately, I know the feeling well, I burned thru 4 windshields on the 996 (thanks a lot, I-10). Repair it if you can, just a matter of time till the next one.
What sre those Ruf specs? I need to check out my alignment before it hits the 2K mark.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Those Ruf specs are not too far off from the specs I sent you. From what I can remember.

Make sure they are not the Track Specs..

Sorry to hear about your car that sucks!! Glad the squirmy feeling is gone. Do I get any money for the advise? haha - I will take a drink at the Wharf when I am town. How about that?

Glad you got the springs. Eric is a great guy.