997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Gold battery clip.. Tech help please..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:48 PM
B-Line is infamous around these parts
Gold battery clip.. Tech help please..

Hi,

It's weird, I have changed the battery a few times already on the Turbo, but for some reason, I can't get it to work this time.

I have the battery installed, hooked back up, but I can't get that gold battery clip to lock back in. The hole doesn't seem stripped, but the hole seems bigger than the screw for the clip. It's like there is nothing for the screw to grab.
Just to double check, I looked to see if there was another hole on the other side of the battery, there is, I checked the screw with that hole too, and it just seems like the screw is too small?? But it's the same screw I pulled off the battery earlier.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong..
I feel like such an idiot.

B

p.s. - if your going to ask why I have to change my battery so often. I have, a few times, left my Valentine1 one on like a moron. I come back to the car a week or two later, battery is dead.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 PM
winternj is infamous around these parts
FYI, you can charge a completely dead battery with a trickle charger in about 24 hours, and it will still give you years of problem-free service.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:20 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I've changed my battery to an Optima Yellow Top. I'm not sure I understand your issue - are you talking about the battery hold down bracket that bolts to the tray and keeps the battery from moving? If so, and you're having problems lining up the hole and the bracket you may have to slide the battery around since, if I remember correctly, at the back of the tray, the battery has to slide under a lip on the tray. I guess I don't understand what the "gold battery clip" is - I don't remember any part like this.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
The battery needs to be slid all the way to the drivers side. If it is not the same size battery the bottom of it where the tab bolts to the plate is not going to line up. there are several holes on the plate but only one will accept the bolt. It is possiable ou got a different group number and the battery is sitting on the orginal mount hole.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:32 AM
B-Line is infamous around these parts
Ok, went down to Porsche service to have it checked out. Turns out PorschePHD, you're correct.
The battery replacement I got at Pep boys is not the same size as the OEM Porsche battery. As such, even though there are holes in the battery bracket holder, the one I need to bolt into is not accessible.

So the question becomes, do I spend the $200 on an OEM battery? Or do I find a new way to strap down the larger, Pep Boys, Bosch battery?

It seems like a real waste of time and money to go with the Porsche battery. Especially because I have an accidental habit of leaving my radar on and letting the car sit for a week. Pep boys is literally, right down the street, and they can charge the battery in 45 min. if it dies. Where as dealing with Porsche service is a real pain. The Pep Boys Bosch warranty covers my storage faults, Porsche battery is not covered if I leave the radar on by accident.

Any thoughts on the matter? Should I go back to Pep Boys and tell them their battery doesn't fit the compartment properly? Or should I just try to find a strap down of some sort?

Thanks,
B

Old 08-27-2007, 06:25 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
B,

It is no small safety concern to make sure you have a proper fitting battery. If it moves and shorts somehow you could fry most of the electrical gear in your car, or even spark a fire.

These guys carry a relatively inexpensive dry cell deep cycle battery and a special mount - it even saves about 20-30lbs of weight.

http://rennline.com/product.php/sid/...che/prodid/108

As far as the V1 - I hardwired mine to the rearview mirror power leads. I leave it "on" all the time and the power automatically shuts off with the car - it will never drain the battery. Even if you paid an installer $50 to do it, it is far cheaper than the time and cost involved in charging/replacing batteries - I imagine your time being worth at least a few hundred per working hour.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:01 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by B-Line
Ok, went down to Porsche service to have it checked out. Turns out PorschePHD, you're correct.
The battery replacement I got at Pep boys is not the same size as the OEM Porsche battery. As such, even though there are holes in the battery bracket holder, the one I need to bolt into is not accessible.

So the question becomes, do I spend the $200 on an OEM battery? Or do I find a new way to strap down the larger, Pep Boys, Bosch battery?

It seems like a real waste of time and money to go with the Porsche battery. Especially because I have an accidental habit of leaving my radar on and letting the car sit for a week. Pep boys is literally, right down the street, and they can charge the battery in 45 min. if it dies. Where as dealing with Porsche service is a real pain. The Pep Boys Bosch warranty covers my storage faults, Porsche battery is not covered if I leave the radar on by accident.

Any thoughts on the matter? Should I go back to Pep Boys and tell them their battery doesn't fit the compartment properly? Or should I just try to find a strap down of some sort?

Thanks,
B
I'd have Pep Boys take it back - wrong size. Sears offers an international size battery that I believe are the same dimensions as the Porsche battery. You might try that. Personally I bought a custom tray from GMG and mounted an Optima Yellow Top - it's a pricey alternative but in addition to the long life, it's a completley sealed gel battery (no venting required). Fits perfectly and gives me piece of mind when I travel.