997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bulb Mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:59 AM
RAY in Pa. is infamous around these parts
Bulbs

Atomic-Thanks for the list, I'm going to present it to my dealer for when my car arrives. Do these bulbs burn too hot? (Hot enough to melt plastic)

Old 08-30-2007, 10:28 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Any coated bulb runs hotter, and can melt plastic if its touching something or its in tight quarters with little or no airspace. LED's of course dont generate much heat at all though.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jnixon is infamous around these parts
Just ordered the lights

thanks for the info because I just ordered the lights. I always hated the fog light color versus the HID lights.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:05 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Haven't experienced any issues with the bulbs being too hot and melting the housing. I've used these types of bulbs in the past without issues and I don't anticipate any this time around either.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:09 AM
RAY in Pa. is infamous around these parts
Another bulb question

Atomic-I want to be certain about my order to Hoen. From what I gather I want the 4200K LED lights for the cluster, the side marker lights(nothing special about those except that they're clear and not yellow when unlit), the license plate light. The fog light I'm unsure of. What one are you using, are you happy with it and are there any new ones on the horizon from Hoen? I appreciate your time.

Last edited by RAY in Pa.; 09-05-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:25 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Ok, this is what I have in mine:

http://www.hoen-usa.com/997.htm which includes the following:

H3 xenonmatch foglight bulbs
W5W Chromium side marker bulbs
Milspec LED W5W turn signal bulbs
7507 Chromium rear turn signal bulbs (I don't have this since I got the Phillips Silvervisions a while back)

And then the license plate light:

http://www.hoen-usa.com/licenseplate2.htm

That should do it.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Maison is infamous around these parts
Did you guys get any error or check light message?

Old 09-08-2007, 04:11 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
only LED's can trigger that sometimes, due to low power consumption and the car can think that the bulb is not working even though it is.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm getting another set that uses a higher voltage draw, hopefully that'll be enough to overcome the "bulb out" message.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Well, I just found out from gradyex that the Hoen Xenonmatch W5W bulbs burn a bit hotter than the stock bulbs (100 degrees F vs 85 degrees F) which in turn results in melting the filter element in front of the bulb within the turn signal housing. The filter element in gradyex's passenger side turn signal unit was completely ruined. He suggested that I check mine for any signs of the same occuring to mine and much to my horror, this was starting to happen to mine. I found out from the dealership that this turn signal unit costs $400 per side! I've already ordered one as a replacement and I went back to the stock bulbs ASAP! It's just not worth it to me to have to deal with melting issues and the "bulb out" issue associated with LED bulbs. I'm going to just stick with the stock bulbs. I also plan to remove the Hoen foglight bulbs too because that might end up melting my foglight housing too! I encourage you to remove the Hoen Xenonmatch bulbs ASAP and check to see if the damage has already been done or not. It also burns through the socket housing too so check to see if that has to be replaced too.

gradyex's passenger side turn signal housing close up. He put the LED bulb in which is much cooler than the stock and xenonmatch bulbs but still gives the bulb out error message

Old 09-15-2007, 12:03 AM
haudimal is infamous around these parts
Holy s***t,

i just wanted to order these bulbs.

Thanks for yor warning!!!

I agree, thatĀ“s not worth the trouble.

IĀ“ll wait until there is a solution for the 997TT.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:26 AM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
FYI, it cost $380.00 to replace just one side (and thats with a discount..list is $418.12 per side). I did not pay much attention until it was too late. If you have installed these bulbs at least take a close look at this delicate plastic cap on the ends of the front LED signal lights. If you notice even a hint of brown (burn marks) remove them CAREFULLY and put the stock ones back. This took a total of 4 months before it broke so it didn't happen overnight but the brown marks will start to show up way before that. The LED replacements are a nice blue white and don't throw off much heat. The problem is you most likely will get an error message from the computer stating that the lights need replacing. These LED's make your headlamps and fog lights look yellow in comparison (even if you replaced them with aftermarket bulbs). Keep in mind that the photo above is a super close up and if you don't go right up to it you may not be aware that its too late to fix. At first I thought that it was just one bad bulb that was defective but today after meeting Jason (atomic80) I noticed a slight "browning" of the same end caps on his car also so I think its related to how long its been since the stock bulb was replaced.

Last edited by gradyex; 09-15-2007 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:48 AM
In comparison here is the good side. The end cap is still in place but you can see the beginning (browning) taking place from excessive heat.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Here is one more shot of the damaged lens.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:17 AM
Here is a photo taken yesterday with the LED's installed. It looks great but you have to put up with a warning that your bulbs need replacing every time you start your car. Once you acknowledge it by selecting the warning your left with a red exclamation mark until next time you start it up. Notice how you cant tell that the passenger side lens is damaged?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bulb Mods