997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bulb Mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:35 AM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
Let me make sure I understand correctly. I just received the appearance pkg from hoen and Gary included a letter saying the led bulbs could possibly cause a warning so he included a set of the xenonmatch bulbs if this happened and from what I understand from your posts these are the ones not to use. Am I correct?

Old 09-15-2007, 06:48 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Yes, these are the ones NOT to use in your car. The LED bulbs will cause a "bulb out" message to pop up and the Xenonmatch bulbs will melt your housing. I went back to the stock bulbs. On my driver's side it's slightly brown and still looks okay so I'm leaving that one alone but on the passenger side it's already started to warp so I'm getting that replaced.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:54 AM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. Are you going to contact hoen and see if they will do anything for you?

Old 09-15-2007, 07:01 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Already did and Gary was pretty much saying that "I'm at fault" for having misaligned these bulbs. There's no way that this could have happened because of that because installing these bulbs is pretty straightforward. You just stick it straight in the socket. I'll bet that others who have the same Xenonmatch bulbs already will see signs of browning happening to theirs especially if they've had it in there long enough. I rarely drive at night or with lights on for long which is why mine hasn't progressed as far as gradyex's has.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:14 AM
RAY in Pa. is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Bulb Problems

Have you fellas noted any problems with the other bulbs in the appearance package? (the license plate, front side marker,or rear reverse bulbs)

Old 09-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Ah hah...the rear license plate bulbs! Thanks for reminding me about that. I've got to remove those because the housing on those does look a bit fragile. I'll stop by the dealership to get a new set of stock bulbs. I don't anticipate a problem with the side markers though.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:01 AM
Atlas is infamous around these parts
Not to flame a vendor or throw fuel onto the fire, but I had the "chrome" side marker lights in the running light position on a Touareg and the bulb finish vaporized and stuck to the adjacent clear portion of the a headlight lens. Looks like a silver/cloudy spot next to and on top of the bulb.

I'll stick with OEM or silver vision from Phillips from now on.

At least I never had a buld out warning.......

Old 09-15-2007, 10:15 AM
alin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the warnings! I was just about to order a full set from Hoen. Hopefully they'll work something out.

I guess I'll just stick with the OEM bulbs and the yellow bulbs in the clear side lights.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:37 AM
crocrr is infamous around these parts
Just ran out to check on mine. No issues yet. I have had it on since I started this post. I guess I will be going back to stock. No point in taking chances.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Maison is infamous around these parts
Very bad news. I guess the warnings came up for a reason.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:41 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Gradyex - sorry to hear about the problems. I was ordering a set. Jason that sucks as well. I don't know who else had these but they should check them ASAP. I am going to run HID's in my fogs instead of the HOEN's. The LED"s is now something that I have to reconsider.

I use to use Hotter than Rated HID look bulbs on my first Lexus GS430 and I put in DIELECTIC grease around the housing and connectors and never had a problem. So I put dielectric grease on anything electrical now as a rule. I burned one wire housing on the first GS430 to discover this. Then to experiment I ran the same bulb with dielectric grease and it didn't result in melting the housing like it did without it.

Gradyex - give me a shout. Hopefully they will find a better solution and NOT point the finger at "US" for installing something that slides in and out. Do we really need a manual to know how it installs?

Old 09-15-2007, 07:51 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Installation is straightforward guys, its like this: insert bulb in housing, turn to lock in place. There is NO other way to install these because the bulb would pop out of its socket (at least the plastic in the lens would not melt). Its a bummer when you shell out $400 because a product wasn't tested properly. We will see what happens but I am not going to lose sleep over it. If others have similiar experiences please post them here.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:10 PM
pattymcfatty76 is a jewel in the roughpattymcfatty76 is a jewel in the roughpattymcfatty76 is a jewel in the rough
looks great!

Old 09-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by pattymcfatty76
looks great!
I'm not sure I get your logic. You think that the damages caused by these bulbs look great?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:52 AM
pattymcfatty76 is a jewel in the roughpattymcfatty76 is a jewel in the roughpattymcfatty76 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by atomic80
I'm not sure I get your logic. You think that the damages caused by these bulbs look great?
no i was only looking at the first page... i was commenting on the guy who changed his porsche's lights to make them look more blue...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bulb Mods