997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bulb Mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:20 AM
toffeGT2 is infamous around these parts
Opp...got my bulbs upgrade packet today from Hoen. Hate to know that LED causing trouble and also the Xenonmatch bulbs!

Old 09-16-2007, 11:58 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I would have thought they would have fixed all the problems they had with the Lexus and BMW Xenon Match bulbs in the past. I guess not.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:03 AM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
Atomic80 I just got an email from Gary@ hoen and he said not to use the xenonmatch bulbs and they were working on a software fix at a local dealer to deal with the bulb warning. Looks like he is aware of the problem and I would think you could get him to do something for your troulble.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:42 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
LEd's will cause the computer to believe the bulb is out no matter what, I think thats always been the case? Despite the bulb working just fine from outside the car too.

I've ran the xenonmatch and some PIAA's in a number of cars with no probs at all but would avoid high power ones for sure. High powers run hot which is fine if your housing is glass or designed for headlight 55w or 65w high beams because thats probably going to be the coolest bulb in there. But stick a bulb where its not supposed to be and well you will melt parts.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:26 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
In some cases you can go to Radio shack or eletronics store and get some resistors to not throw warnings and also control some of the heat. ( Not technical )

Old 09-17-2007, 08:22 PM
RAY in Pa. is infamous around these parts
Question Melted housing

I'm sorry to hear about your melted housings. I received my appearance package a few days ago. Since reading your threads I've been trading e-mails with Hoen. My only conclusion is to return the whole package. How are your foglights and license plate bulbs? Should I retun everything?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:52 AM
crocrr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RAY in Pa.
I'm sorry to hear about your melted housings. I received my appearance package a few days ago. Since reading your threads I've been trading e-mails with Hoen. My only conclusion is to return the whole package. How are your foglights and license plate bulbs? Should I retun everything?
Ray, my license plate bulbs have been in for some time and no issues yet. I check them daily for discoloration.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:17 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I removed my Hoen license plate bulbs and will be removing the foglights too. I don't want to risk any more discoloration issues especially in light of having to spring $380 for a new turn signal cluster.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Extremespeed is infamous around these parts
Attention to the details! The car loods great.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:44 PM
RAY in Pa. is infamous around these parts
Angry Bulbs

Atomic 80-I don't blame you. I think I'll be sending all of my bulbs back for a refund.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:28 PM
SG
SG has a spectacular aura aboutSG has a spectacular aura aboutSG has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gmoney
The 194 bulb on the outside of the factory LED cluster can now be replaced with a LED replacement from Hoen, its a new product.
They will have two options shortly though, a 'regular' one and a high power replacement specificaly for the TT LED cluster housing.
I just had the LED driving lights installed and replaced the fogs, side markers, license plate, and rear turn signals.

Here are my comments:

1) My computer is totally F'd up...showing a front light issue. Went to dealer and they couldn't fix without me leaving the car.

2) the LED driving light is much brighter and bluer than the headlights or fogs. It looks very cheap IMHO.

3) the fogs seem to match the headlights now but the LED driving lights are so overpowering it's tough to tell.

4) the rear turn signals...supposed to be clear when not engaged...are not. I think stock orange looks better.

5) side markers look fine.

6) license plate lights don't even light...something to do with the computer F'up.

ANYONE HERE EXPERIENCE ANYTHING CLOSE OR SIMILAR IN PART OR WHOLE TO WHAT I HAVE??

Old 09-28-2007, 04:30 PM
SG
SG has a spectacular aura aboutSG has a spectacular aura aboutSG has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by atomic80
Already did and Gary was pretty much saying that "I'm at fault" for having misaligned these bulbs. There's no way that this could have happened because of that because installing these bulbs is pretty straightforward. You just stick it straight in the socket. I'll bet that others who have the same Xenonmatch bulbs already will see signs of browning happening to theirs especially if they've had it in there long enough. I rarely drive at night or with lights on for long which is why mine hasn't progressed as far as gradyex's has.
SO YOUR ADVICE IS TO NOT F WITH THE DRIVING LIGHT BULB AT ALL, CORRECT??

Old 09-28-2007, 04:37 PM
SG
Originally Posted by gradyex
In comparison here is the good side. The end cap is still in place but you can see the beginning (browning) taking place from excessive heat.

CAN I REPLACE THIS MYSELF?

Old 09-28-2007, 04:57 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I'd advise you to take everything out and stick with the stock bulbs. The only ones that I'd even recommend leaving are the side markers. Those are fine but the rest are not.

As for the turn signal cluster, is the one in the picture you posted yours? If so, then the only way to replace that is to remove the front bumper because the wiring harness assembly is behind the bumper!

Old 09-28-2007, 05:41 PM
SG
Originally Posted by SG
I just had the LED driving lights installed and replaced the fogs, side markers, license plate, and rear turn signals.

Here are my comments:

1) My computer is totally F'd up...showing a front light issue. Went to dealer and they couldn't fix without me leaving the car.

2) the LED driving light is much brighter and bluer than the headlights or fogs. It looks very cheap IMHO.

3) the fogs seem to match the headlights now but the LED driving lights are so overpowering it's tough to tell.

4) the rear turn signals...supposed to be clear when not engaged...are not. I think stock orange looks better.

5) side markers look fine.

6) license plate lights don't even light...something to do with the computer F'up.

ANYONE HERE EXPERIENCE ANYTHING CLOSE OR SIMILAR IN PART OR WHOLE TO WHAT I HAVE??
I put the normal driving lights back in. Solved the computer problems.

Is there harm in leaving the fog lights in? they actually look great.

ALSO...is there a xenon match bulb available for the driving light that won't trigger the computer or melt the housing?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bulb Mods