997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

maintaining that new car smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 12:41 PM
BankBuster23 is infamous around these parts
any validity to the idea that the new car smell is actually toxic?

Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BankBuster23
any validity to the idea that the new car smell is actually toxic?
Not sure why it would be toxic

Old 09-17-2007, 01:46 AM
Clubber is infamous around these parts
Don't cruise around with your windows down too much... This method gave me 6 extra months with "new car smell"...

Old 09-17-2007, 05:22 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Not sure why it would be toxic
It has been said that new car smell is actually chemicals diffusing out of car plastics, etc and may be bad for you.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Texas911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Don't let the dealer "prep" the interior prior to delivery. They slathered some greasy, chemical smelling crap all over my interior. It's just now going away after 2 months and a lot of cleaning and Lexol.
Let me guess, you bought your car from Momentum? That's part of the rip off "dealer services" fee they over charge you. What a crock. They did that when I bought an M3 from them, they totally sprayed my brand new engine bay with the thickest, greasiest Armourall crap they could find. It never really burned off. And they used something similar on the interior, it got all over my cloths and made the interior shinny and cheap looking. Ever since, I've specifically told them I don't even want them to clean the car before delivery. For a high end dealer, they use low end practices.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:10 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
don't drive it is the only way...

Old 09-17-2007, 06:54 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Texas911
Let me guess, you bought your car from Momentum? That's part of the rip off "dealer services" fee they over charge you. What a crock. They did that when I bought an M3 from them, they totally sprayed my brand new engine bay with the thickest, greasiest Armourall crap they could find. It never really burned off. And they used something similar on the interior, it got all over my cloths and made the interior shinny and cheap looking. Ever since, I've specifically told them I don't even want them to clean the car before delivery. For a high end dealer, they use low end practices.
Nope it was West Houston, same difference. It really pissed me off because a couple of days before I went to see it immediately after arrival. The car smelled like it a leather shop. Unfortunately, that was a fleeting experience, some braniac decided to "prep" (nearly ruin) the Cocoa leather.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:19 AM
charles is infamous around these parts
leather smells

i love that smell too. yes it is a mixture of the exudates and the leather. i liked it so much i made my own (of just the leather). i now sell it to go with my main invention, that you may or may not have heard of.
please see http://www.porscheclubcairns.com/pro...mart/Itemid,1/ <o></o>

i hope that it might become available nearer you in the future.

just took delivery of a new mercedes a month ago, and my new TT in 3 weeks time.

they all get the same treatment up front with my own stuff, and it assures me of very easy maintenance for years to come.
cheers from down under.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by tblountman
Don't ever leave anything inside the car ie: shoes, socks, gloves, girlfriends panties.
easy - tell her she can't wear any panties (said in my best Lex & Terry voice). well, knowing some of you asshats, that may actually make the smell worse

Old 09-20-2007, 08:28 AM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Hands down Sonus Leather Conditioner. My TT is 5 years old and the first thing people say when they get is is that it STILL smells new.
It was made by a P car guy to closely match the Porsche leather scent.

Zaino is WAY too leathery smelling for me. I use it on my other cars, but the Sonus for the P

tw.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:02 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Ive got enough leather options in my car to know that it takes a little TLC and common sense to keep it looking "factory" new. My leather was not glossy or greasy or shinny, it was perfect (had a satin-low sheen look to it with a suede feel). Its hard to explain but I have tried enough products to know that LESS is sometimes better and the best products do not alter the looks (and feel of the leather).......sorry Lexol, this product along with dozens of others claim to add oils, uv blockers, etc. My UV blocker is my garage and my sunshade....USE IT! The best products (Jason already mentioned) are Porsches leather conditioner (still a bit too greasy for me but a nice dry wipe with a soft towel takes care of that. I also use Griots interior cleaner......its clear, greaseless, and will not alter your cars leather whatsoever. Sonus makes a decent product but keep in mind 1 rule regardless of what product you choose..........use it sparingly and no more than once every 6 months or so (except for some of the mild cleaners). Most conditioners alter the new appearance of leather and can make it blotchy looking if used too often. Use a soft interior sponge and follow with a clean microfiber soft cloth right away. Body oils and sweat are things you want to minimize. The leather already comes pre treated at the factory and adding greasy crap to it will only age it more rapidly.