997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Track impressions : Techart springs, Gt3 alignment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 02:03 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Track impressions : Techart springs, Gt3 alignment

I finally got to the track this morning to try out the following mods - Techart lowering springs on the stock dampeners, Gt3 street alignment. Tires used are 18" Hoosier R6 at 40/44 hot front/rear. Temps 75F, and car has stage II GIAC/AWE engine mods, running 100 octane fuel. I have run the same car with the same mods previously but without the springs and alignment, so I have a basis for comparison. Also, car was run in Sport mode with sport PASM on and also PSM left on.

Handling wise, car is tightened up considerably. There is no understeer/push whatsoever. The nose turns in quickly and sharply. The rear end also is much more planted without feeling loose in high speed turns. I have a bad habit of making mid-corner corrections instead of marking the turn and steering with the throttle. The suspension never feels unsettled no matter the surface imperfections. No more pogo over rough transitions. The progressive rate Techart springs also don't feel overly harsh and there is never any bottoming out. This is the most planted and secure feeling car I have ever been on track with, and that includes my dedicated race/track car. There is a tremendous amount of feedback in your butt that is available now that the car feels more settled. The only thing that I would try to improve is the body lean. There is still just a touch much of it, and stiffer sways may help. AWE sells adjustable H&R's for the car, and GMG has adjustable Eibach's coming.

Power wise, I have to say that the GIAC in Race mode with 100 octane is simply a very sick and surreal experience. In street mode sometimes I would get a slight boost tail-off or timing retardation near redline. There is none now. Oil temps never got over 210F, and water temps were dead center. Boost was constantly at 18#, and I am hitting an easy 165mph before the end of the front straight at TWS. Considering that my exit from turn 15 is less than perfect, that the car would be even faster in 50F weather, and that I am too chicken so I brake hard at the end of the straight, downshift to 4th prior to turning into turn #1, I think 170mph at the end is easily possible. As far as I know, even the Cup cars can only hit 160mph at the end of the straight.

Some laps from today:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...31244060&hl=en

Last edited by eclou; 09-16-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Mike2727 is infamous around these parts
Eclou very nice write up and great vid, thanks for sharing

Mike

Old 09-16-2007, 03:35 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Nice write up and looked like a blast. Thanks

Old 09-16-2007, 03:36 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Good stuff. You think the springs are helping your lap times much? How's the street comfort?

165MPH on the straight! That's nuts. How long is the front straight!

Old 09-16-2007, 04:13 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Eugene - great write up and video! Thanks for sharing.

Must resist..flash...ecu....must...must..resist...ecu.. .flash.....

Old 09-16-2007, 04:51 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
chrisn,

the street comfort is BETTER than stock, due to the fact the Techart springs are progressive rate and not linear rate springs. I drive almost always in sport suspension mode now, whereas it was too painful with the stock springs

Old 09-16-2007, 08:21 PM
crocrr is infamous around these parts
Wow. I watched it twice and I am exhausted. Very smooooothh!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:16 AM
58spdstr has a spectacular aura about58spdstr has a spectacular aura about
Wow, those little specs on the horizon become larger at an amazing rate of speed!

Old 09-17-2007, 08:09 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
WOW - I've NEVER done that. I WANT to do that. Where is the best place to learn HOW do to that?

Old 09-17-2007, 08:18 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Looks like a great time! What were your lap times? We used to use TWS for the National Supra Meet in March but have gone to MSR Houston the last two years... Thinking about going back to TWS in 08.
Peter

Old 09-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Duffy, I would check with your local PCA who should have a comprehensive list of track events in your area. PCA runs great driver's ed like in the video with great instructors. It is the BEST mod you will ever do - modding your own skill levels as a driver!

Peter, best lap was 1:58.4, and I'm driving perhaps at 7/10's. The car should be good for sub 1:50's with a driver who has some talent and ballz. I need to talk to you this week about setting up an informal Houston are Porsche tech session or something. The local Motul rep wants to also meet you guys at RSI.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:06 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
That is a pretty impressive time bud! Call me when you get a chance...
Peter

Old 09-17-2007, 11:56 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
WOW - I've NEVER done that. I WANT to do that. Where is the best place to learn HOW do to that?
As Eclou suggested, join the PCA. I believe there is an event coming up at Pocono - right in your backyard.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:22 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
Nice vid Eugene. When"s the next one?....I might join you guys next time.....I would have guessed you for an Eagles guy over Madonna though........

Old 09-17-2007, 12:31 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by E55AMG
As Eclou suggested, join the PCA. I believe there is an event coming up at Pocono - right in your backyard.
Except for about 2 years in the mid 80's, I've been a member of the PCA since 1979. Just never active. Probably missed out on a lot of great events, both social & driving, in 28 years. Pocono is a little far but BeaveRun is only about an hour from me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track impressions : Techart springs, Gt3 alignment