997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Removing airbag stickers from the leather visors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:52 PM
miboxer96 is infamous around these parts
I took the mirror out for one of the visors, and had a really hard time getting it back in. I couldn't get everything lined up properly to put it back. Maybe I took out the wrong part of the mirror, but I thought I did it right. With the second one, I left the mirror in, and was just careful with the alcohol....

Old 09-18-2007, 07:16 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by miboxer96
I took the mirror out for one of the visors, and had a really hard time getting it back in. I couldn't get everything lined up properly to put it back. Maybe I took out the wrong part of the mirror, but I thought I did it right. With the second one, I left the mirror in, and was just careful with the alcohol....
The mirror snaps out and then back in. Once you have it removed, you can see the little tabs that have to be lined up to get it back into place. There's a little flex in the mirror assembly so it should go back in OK - just don't be too heavy handed.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:40 PM
winternj is infamous around these parts
I've just completed this and have a few pointers.

#1: I tried to remove mine by unscrewing the plate - It seems that when you do that, you will break the clips on the cap which won't go back on correctly after -- oops. A little bit of crazy glue seems to fix this.

#2: I found that even with soaking the sticker in alcohol, it left a lot of glue residue behind. I found that using some Zaino leather cleaner, letting it soak for a few minutes, drying it, then dragging the sticker over the glue seemed to get the glue mostly away. After doing that, I would then apply some Zymol leather conditioner, then Zaino leather cleaner again, then dry, then drag the sticker over it again. It took maybe 5-10 cycles before the residue was all gone, but at this point, I can't even tell where the sticker used to be. Obviously I finished it with a layer of conditioner.

#3 It looks much better than before, though this took much longer than I anticipated. I've done this before on Vinyl and metal, but this was much harder on this soft leather, with the really strong glue.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:34 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
The removal process works like a charm - just follow the instructions in post #9. The recommended 3M adhesive remover worked great...better than Goo Gone.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
DENATURED ALCOHOL! Not rubbing alcohol. Find it at a paint store or paint dept of local hardware store.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:41 AM
jerrym is infamous around these parts
Wow interesting.. does this work for all cars?

Old 09-21-2007, 06:46 AM
twnj is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
DENATURED ALCOHOL! Not rubbing alcohol. Find it at a paint store or paint dept of local hardware store.
Is the denatured alcohol safe for the leather visors?

Old 09-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by twnj
Is the denatured alcohol safe for the leather visors?
I used 91% isopropyl on sand beige vinyl and black leather - worked great.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:51 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
For those of you that removed the stickers from leather visors, did it leave any faded outlines? I'm concerned that after almost a year, it might be there when I try removing mine!

Old 09-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by atomic80
For those of you that removed the stickers from leather visors, did it leave any faded outlines? I'm concerned that after almost a year, it might be there when I try removing mine!
If I put my glasses on and the sun angle was just right, I could see a very faint shadow on the sand biege vinyl - I can't see anything on the black leather...and I'm really picky about stuff like that. An alternative would be to order the Euro visors (no stickers) from Gert at www.carnewal.com

Old 09-23-2007, 11:18 AM
dan993 is infamous around these parts
Process worked well on my vinyl visors. The small stickers came off easily, but the large stickers on the mirror covers took two or three soak/peel sessions to remove. Seems that as the sticker dries out, it becomes difficult. So be sure to keep them damp.

Thanks for posting the instructional thread.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:03 PM
knightka is infamous around these parts
thank you!

Old 11-14-2008, 10:15 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I peeled mine off my black leather visors without incident. I used a small amount of adhesive remover, followed by leather conditioner to get all of the adhesive off. The stickers on the vanity mirrors can not be easily removed but Suncoast Porsche sells Euro version replacement without the stickers.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by sparkhill
I peeled mine off my black leather visors without incident. I used a small amount of adhesive remover, followed by leather conditioner to get all of the adhesive off. The stickers on the vanity mirrors can not be easily removed but Suncoast Porsche sells Euro version replacement without the stickers.
I found that the stickers on the mirror covers were easier to remove - just need to use 90% iso not the 70% and let the paper towel really soak the stickers - peel off and then use 4M adhesive remover to get rid of any residual adhesive.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:02 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I found that the stickers on the mirror covers were easier to remove - just need to use 90% iso not the 70% and let the paper towel really soak the stickers - peel off and then use 4M adhesive remover to get rid of any residual adhesive.
Yea, I feel like an idiot. I somehow missed the whole how-to part of the post before I replied.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing airbag stickers from the leather visors