997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help: Weird squeaking noise from the rear of the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:03 AM
neosky is infamous around these parts
Help: Weird squeaking noise from the rear of the car

Hi,
First of all, I wish to thank to those who responded to my previous post regarding the fading PCCB brake pedals. I now changed my brake fluid to ATE Super Blue and now I have yet to experience any spongy brake pedals.

Now, onto my current problem, which is the squeaking noise coming from the rear of the car.

The problem started on the morning of when I was going take my car to get it chipped (the shop is located about 1 hr away from where I live). As I left my house, I immediately noticed that there is this squeaking noise coming from the rear end of the car. My first initial reaction was "damn, probably bad sway bar bushing or something related to the rear suspension." I didn't pay much attention to it afterwards and began my drive to the shop. As I got there, the noise was a bit more quiet, but still very present. Didn't give it too much thought because I still think it's something related to the rear suspension.

3 hours later, I got my car chipped, took a test drive, everything seemed to be working and I went back home. Later that night, I was eager to show my girlfriend of how great my car felt and took her out for a ride. By this time, the squeaky noise was very noisy and I began to worry. As I began to drive my car hard, one of the rubber hoses broke loose and I lost all of my boost. It turns out to be the one that is connecting the engine and the twin metal tubing (you see it from the engine bay, I don't know what the technical name is called). I immediately went back home and tightened the rubber hose and the noise went away apparently.

The next day, I took my car to the dealer to have it checked. The dealer checked all the connecting hoses. Car seemed to be ok and send me back on my way. However, the squeaky noise is still present. The really weird thing is that everytime I start my car (ie. when the car is cold), the noise is very present. After getting it warmed up and after a few hard runs (ie. full boost), the noise goes away. However, if I let the car cool off a little bit by driving it very easy (ie. 2200rpm highway), the noise comes back but to a lesser degree. My hunch is that damn rubber tubing but I'm not sure. I can't figure it out because usually suspension noises are pretty permanent throughout and it won't go away and then come back.

Any ideas?

P.s Squeaky noises can be heard when going over bumps or uneven roads.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:05 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Welds? see https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ighlight=welds. Check your VIN...there's a list floating around out there of cars affected.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:19 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
There are also other welds that are not grouped in with the orginal recall.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Other welds? Can you be more specific? Also, the picture from your previous thread seems to be dead, can you upload some pictures for me so I know where to look for the defect?

Thanks a lot!

Old 09-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Question

Hi Stephen,
I was searching on forum and one of your old thread came up. You mentioned in your previous post about something related to the 1/4 rear....(direct quote: "If not then you have another issue which is in the rear 1/4s at the engine spot weld.").

Can you explain this in a bit more detail? I'm at odds here because apparently, my noise comes and goes away. When the car is cold, you can hear it very clearly, but when the car is warmed up, sometimes it's very faint and sometimes I just don't hear it at all.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:49 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Behind the intercooler on farthest rear section on the inner 1/4 wall there is a series of spot welds. The welds in this area particularly the one at the farthest position pulls. The inner engine wall and the inner 1/4 wall then creak.

Attached Images