HRE Unveils New Carbon Fiber Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 06:38 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I guess everyone is entitled to their own personal style and this wheel is not my personal style.. No right or wrong just indifferent.

GEE-BEE sucks to hear about your accident and your wheels. You are much cooler about it than some would be.

I think before CF for me I would go with higher lighter weight aluminum such at T7075 if I were to spend the kind of money CF demands.

Benjamin - exactly.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:22 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
The contrast between dark center and light spokes is jarring to the eyes. This and the different finishes of the 2 materials make the wheel look like it's just put together in someone's garage. IMO much better to make the center spokes dark grey or gun metal in color, the way Dymag does it.

In addition, the thicker rim now makes the spokes shorter, even clumsy. Just look how thick the total rim thickess is -- between the carbon fiber rim thickness and the aluminum rim thickess adding together. The spokes now end, in a very odd fashion, not at the edge of the rim. I like many of HRE wheels but this one needs a redesign, I think.

With recent reports of air leak with some wheels and the picture of the shattered wheel, I'll have to ask... Why bother?

Last edited by cannga; 11-06-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:55 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
If I ever go and buy a CF wheel, I'd buy it because it looks cool, not so much about the weight savings or it better for track. Anyway these wheels are growing on me tho..

Old 11-06-2008, 11:11 PM
pbfoot is infamous around these partspbfoot is infamous around these parts
Don't dymags weigh like 13-14lbs/wheel for about the same price?

Old 11-07-2008, 05:17 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pbfoot
Don't dymags weigh like 13-14lbs/wheel for about the same price?
Urban Legend.
The 19x8.5 Dymag front weighs just over 17 lbs. The rear is just over 20 lbs.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Stay tuned to Vivid Racing for those that are interested in this wheel. Again it will be released sometime in January.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:35 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Does anyone know how Dymag compares to magnesium wheel with respect to weight and fragility/durability?

http://www.bbs.com/en/motorsports/mo...rt-wheels.html

Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler
Urban Legend.
The 19x8.5 Dymag front weighs just over 17 lbs. The rear is just over 20 lbs.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:42 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
If its good for commericial aircraft its just dandy for 195mph blasts.

oh, wait a minute... http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-494768.html

Old 11-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Saw the wheel in person today while meeting with HRE and it's a great looking wheel. HRE won't release these wheels until it's absolutely right and there are no warranty or issues. Their relationship with Dymag is a bilateral one, both companies are working together to fix the problems originally found with Dymags wheels (leaks where mounting points occur, etc). Price is still to be determined once testing has been completed (these haven't even been put on a car yet). They're not for everyone but it is nice to see HRE pushing the limits and going towards the lightweight race market in addition to their current offerings in these areas.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Surely many wheel experts here know the answer to my question??
Does Dymag hold any advantage over the BBS magnesium wheel with respect to weight or durability?

Dymag = carbon rim plus magnesium center, BBS = all magnesium? Does that carbon rim offers any weight advantage over magnesium? Or is it all about look and a catchy phrase?

Originally Posted by cannga
Does anyone know how Dymag compares to BBS magnesium wheel with respect to weight and fragility/durability?

http://www.bbs.com/en/motorsports/mo...rt-wheels.html

Old 11-09-2008, 03:09 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
How those BBS wheels costs ??? and how light they are ???

Old 11-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
just got back from the sema show. saw these rims in person,looks very nice! but 10k your crazy!!

Old 11-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jstrat85
just got back from the sema show. saw these rims in person,looks very nice! but 10k your crazy!!
I was there too and +1- they dont look that great IMHO either so the performance and weight savings would have to make up the difference without sacrificing quality...

I liked the P47's that were there better in gloss black. Anyone wanna buy my P40's

Old 11-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
We have done some Volk Magnesium wheels and of course they are VERY light and very strong. Price is all relevant to material, brand, and performance. I think this HRE carbon wheel is not for everyone, neither is a Dymag, but that is why there are other racing wheels available at a lesser price.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant future
Agreed!! (almost...)

Benjamin,

I agree with you wholeheartedly (except for your criticism of us of course!!)

It is unfortunate that in one breath HRE is criticized for making wheels that are "too heavy" while our "competition" is applauded for making wheels that are irresponsibly light weight. And now we introduce a material that can get us to a lower weight safely and we're being criticized.

If you notice, the weights of our 1pc forged aluminum wheels are in-line with our quality competitors, namely BBS and Champion. Why is this? It's because the same physics that apply to them apply to me. I can make a 17lb wheel any day of the week, but that doesn't mean it is safe to go on a 997TT. Oh... but they've tested it. Not enough. It turns out that it helps if you test to the correct load rating for the application and the use the right spec. We actually multiply the designated TUV load rating by a factor of safety before designing the wheel to that spec. Why? We've found that simply going off of max axle load isn't enough. Not even close. If it were that easy to make them lightweight, wouldn't Porsche do it themselves? Do any of us have more resources than Porsche? I don't think so.

This shows the difference between good marketing and good engineering. We'll stick to the good engineering. We want to be in business for the long haul. We're not going to sell a bunch of wheels and then going running off with all the money once the fatigure failures begin... and they will begin. It just takes time.

So on to carbon. It turns out that the stiffness of the carbon barrel is actually much higher than the stiffness of the aluminum barrel. In fact, in fatigue, the barrels are load rated MUCH higher than the aluminum center simply because you have to design the rim around impact. Okay... so is it brittle and is it going to shatter into a million pieces under impact. Nope. If you hit a curb or something you'll definitely damage it, but you'll have a localized failure which is what you want and should expect.

As for us not knowing and/or not caring, I want to extend an invitation to you to visit HRE anytime. I can give you a personal tour (above and beyond my normal tours) and show you how we do it and why we do it that way. I think you'll be impressed by our knowledge and expertise, our capabilities, our honesty and the most of all the integrity that is simply infused in all of us here.

If you want to criticize us after that, feel free. I welcome constructive criticism. It keeps us moving forward. I just prefer it is based on facts and reality.

My $.51.

Thanks,

Alan

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i ain't no professor myself but internet car forum folks think to think in just one dimension, just maybe one or two conditions...

there is no free lunch. what you give up in weight (lightness) you sacrifice rigidity of the wheel. a car moves. the wheels also aren't always in a perfect circle. if the wheels aren't rigid enough to support the vehicle, then it has trouble putting rubber down onto the pavement for traction.

weight v. rigidity. i have a hard time believing given HRE's absolute lack of motorsport experience, field R&D that they spent the dough to truly get this balance right.

there is a reason why big **** multinational companies like BBS and OZ do not offer 20" 20lbs wheels. cuz ya can't unless you make some major sacrifices in durability and performance.... HRE doesn't know or care. they make pretty wheels, i love them, but would never ever get these.

plus the whole point of the rim part is to make the wheels circular shape pop... having it in CF makes it blend in with the tire which makes it look absolutely whack esp in motion.

my $.50

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HRE Unveils New Carbon Fiber Wheels