DRLs for 997.1 TT any news?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:04 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Dan, welcome back..I was wondering if you guys have come up with a solution for those of us that installed the defective DRL lights?

Old 05-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Again, thanks for the patience and those working with Rob to handle their issues. First off with any product being manufactured, to individually test each item is tough especially when there is a total of 400 pieces here. We did randomly pull out lights and inspect them but would not think we would have to put our hands on each kit. With that being said, we are doing that now. I have relayed both the good and the bad to our manufacture that I have intimately worked with for over a year on this project. The good thing for us is we will gather the ones that did not pass our QC and send them back to be replaced.

Next, having tested these and several variation of these on my own personal cars, its hard to replicate each scenario. I honestly and truly never had some of these issues. I did however notice a small variation in the LED colors but not to the extreme that some had and this is why we immediately replaced them. The manufacture did note that each LED can vary slightly in its tone of white/blue color. This should be if any very subtle and if they go out of whack and turn yellow for some reason, no problem we switch it out.

With somes concern about quality, it is important to stand behind this product and project as nobody else has something like this on the market. The other products that require the use of the OEM lights are heated up, pulled apart, soldered, re-silicone together and can face issues too. We have now gone through and put what we feel is our standard on each set and anything that does not meet that, we pull to be returned. The "chrome" coating that is inside the line is very fine and thin and during the assembly process, slight scratches in the same locations have been showing up. Though not acceptable, this is something nobody would notice once installed on the vehicle. Thus why we dont have a problem replacing them.

For those that installed them and are happy, we are glad and thank you for sharing the pics. For those that have experienced a defective part and not received a replacement, please confirm with me and I will take care of it if not already done.

Lastly to address the "pay for your labor" issue. It is our responsibility to take care of the product as that is what we have control over. We understand time is money, however cannot predict or expect what a shop may charge you, if a product may fail, etc. So we have no problem with expediting a replacement to you with a return label for the product.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Carlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really nice
To all my Canadian fellows out there with Canadian cars, did you install these yet?

I just tried to install them and the driver side is not working properly, the white leds are always blinking. It works perfectly if I unplug the car's OEM blinker harness in the bumper and simply use a wire from a negative pole of a battery and plug into #3 of the new DRL (the 12v is coming from the car's fuse box so the problem is not there).

I'm sure it has to do with the fact that Canadian cars come with DRL's relays by default and there is no way to turn off DRL option in the PCM since it's not available to Canadian owners. Therefore, the ECU sends a different voltage or something to the car's harness and it's conflicting with the DRL harness.

Any idea?
Thanks!

Old 05-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Can you post a pic of the driver side. If the white is blinking, I believe the wires are switched. I can confirm with my tech. Also even with the Canadian car, you can still deactivate the fog light DRL using a Porsche PIWIS or a Durametric tool. I did on my Turbo S.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Carlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really nice
Which wires could be switched? the blue wire goes to 12v and the other 2 black wires from the little black box go the parking light and in our instructions it says it does not matter which one goes where.

Please confirm with your tech what could cause white leds to rapidly blink. Unfortunately I cannot take a picture or movie at this time.

Thank you

Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Former Vendor
Will do.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Former Vendor
I talked with my tech and we had this as an issue during R&D because of the circuit board (your black box) was wired wrong. To test this, can you swap the black box to the other side and see if the problem carries over? If so then we can send you out a new controller.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Former Vendor
I set up a tester in my office as you can see so I can personally check all the lights and the quality of each kit. Another side note for those that are suggesting the lights are bad... If you look at the lights from the top straight down, or from the side at an angle, you WILL see variations in color. However when you have these installed horizontally on the car and you step back 5 feet to look at them how anyone would see them driving, you can see the bright white facing you.

Attached Images     
Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Former Vendor
Another thing and will be brutally honest, the inside of the light on top where the chrome paint is, all have 3 small hair line scratches that are part of the assembly. If you looked or followed the thread from the beginning, you can see the molds and process these went through to be made. Yes these can be seen when you have the light in your hand. The electrical issue is something we can and will continually take care of, but for the people that have a complaint in regards to this cosmetic manufacturing piece, we will gladly refund you when the lights are returned here with an RMA. Contact me via email or PM.

This is NOT AN EXCUSE. I understand the high expectations those have and even though this is not something that affects the function or can be drastically seen we have no problem in taking them back.

Today I just went and looked at mine and at a close look, yes you can see them. Looking at my car daily, I just dont think twice as they look awesome at night!

Attached Images   
Old 05-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by vividracing
I talked with my tech and we had this as an issue during R&D because of the circuit board (your black box) was wired wrong. To test this, can you swap the black box to the other side and see if the problem carries over? If so then we can send you out a new controller.
Thanks for your quick answer. You were right!
I did what you said (exchange black box to right side) and indeed the problem with the white leds blinking went on the right side therefore the as you said the black box is defective.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:14 PM
I set up a tester in my office as you can see so I can personally check all the lights and the quality of each kit. Another side note for those that are suggesting the lights are bad... If you look at the lights from the top straight down, or from the side at an angle, you WILL see variations in color. However when you have these installed horizontally on the car and you step back 5 feet to look at them how anyone would see them driving, you can see the bright white facing you.

http://youtu.be/XciY4KcHXGg

http://youtu.be/jE8cAmqchbE
I did test my lights the same way and they were fine however for an unknown reason once connected to the car, one of the black box converter was defective. I guess there is no possible way to really test these box before installation.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Former Vendor
Another one on the way overnight. Fedex does not allow us to do pickups in Canada so can you ship it back to us regular mail?

Old 05-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Another one on the way overnight. Fedex does not allow us to do pickups in Canada so can you ship it back to us regular mail?
Postmail service (same as USPS) is right next to my place is that okay?

Old 05-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Former Vendor
Perfect -
Vivid Racing
Attn Dan
1429 W Scott Ave
Gilbert, AZ 85233
USA

Old 05-29-2012, 04:45 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
First thing i noticed when i opened the beautiful case they where in, was that the plastic packaging was all cracked up & if you look at everyone else's pics of there lights in the case that have been posted ,you see the same thing.Maybe the where miss handled during shipping .Looking forward to getting mine in next week some time gonna pre test this week.

Attached Images  

Last edited by twturbo; 05-29-2012 at 06:30 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DRLs for 997.1 TT any news?