997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Full disclosure of ownership and/or financial interests in tuners and vendors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Full disclosure of ownership and/or financial interests in tuners and vendors?

If someone posts a positive experience with a particular tuner/vendor, and the poster has an ownership and/or financial interest in the tuner/vendor, should the poster disclose his interest?

I am informed that one or more people have posted positive tuner/vendor experiences here on 6Speed, without disclosing that they have an ownership and/or financial interest in the vendor/tuner. Personally, I think the ownership/financial interest should be disclosed for several reasons. First, the ownership/financial interest creates an obvious bias and conflict which affects the credibility of the review, and others are entitled to know about the interest and resulting bias when determining what weight to give the positive review (for purposes of their future purchases). Second, the ownership/financial interest affects how the tuner/vendor treats the person posting the review, and the positive experience is not necessarily an accurate reflection of the service others will receive. Third, an owner/investor in a tuner can take certain risks with his car that others cannot take because, if things go south (e.g., ventilation), he can rebuild for considerably less than a normal customer. For example, an investor/owner can produce big numbers by running higher boost than a normal customer would run because, if the engine opens, it is easy and cheap for him to rebuild. Therefore, the performance results are not necessarily indicative of what others will obtain.
<O</O
What do you think? If a poster has an ownership or financial interest in a tuner or vendor, and he posts positive comments about that tuner/vendor here on 6Speed, should he disclose his interest? Why / why not?
<O</O
BTW, I am not attacking any particular posts/threads, nor accusing any particular poster or tuner of wrongdoing, nor demanding full disclosure by anyone in particular. This thread is NOT about who has disclosed, or not disclosed, such interests. Rather, this thread is about whether such disclosure is appropriate. Therefore, please do not mention any particular tuner, vendor or poster.
<O</O
Regards,

Craig

Old 08-04-2008, 02:34 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
good idea in theory, not in practice. It just wont be adhered to. This type of thing goes on every day, pick your product area.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:26 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
I don't know why somebody that has and ownership/interest in a vendor wound not say that they do?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:51 PM
aretm is infamous around these parts
not to do so is being a tool once your found out and your brand is or workmanship is rubbish!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Tupe is infamous around these parts
Thumbs down

I'd call them on it, as I find this practice underhanded and in bad taste.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
I have a pretty good idea who you are speaking of, if I can spot it I'm sure many people in the public can as well. When the same persons post in every thread relevant to that shop, anyone doing research will likely spot the similarities in who posts. There are many great shops out there with stories hidden, and unfortunately it is up to the public to find the final outcome. Shop cars don't always pay the bill, but in many cases I'd rather a shop/owner car to be damaged well before someone in the public.