997 Vendor Classifieds
Sponsored by:

VF-Engineering SC build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Delius@VF-Engineering
Originally Posted by 1carnut
I have had the VF SC on my 997S for about 4 months, I could not be more pleased with the results, and the people I have dealt with at VF are top notch. I can not wait till the upgrade is done.
Thank you for the kind words.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Delius@VF-Engineering
Originally Posted by CarreraSpective
1carnut, who was your dealer? I am in Lower Gwynedd PA and have been using Don Rosen. Just had a VF SC installed by AWE Tuning. Who do you use now? Thanks
We sell to many motorsport shops that have very close relationships to Porsche Dealers. Our product has OEM parts in them. We strive for OEM quality, OEM look, and OEM reliability. We introduced our SC to the market five years ago and we have a success rate that speaks for its self.

Last edited by Delius@VF-Engineering; 07-11-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:52 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
For those who doubt their engine can handle a supercharger, I was one of the first 996's with the VF system and the first in a 1999. That was more than 45,000 miles ago. The intiial system has been substantially modified (not due to need, but for my desire to push the limits) and I haven't even had the compressor rebult. I burn no oil whatsoever.

The only problem I have had is that, during my first run after making my changes to the system, by stock clutch decided it could not handle the added power and chose to disintergrate. The new stage 2 clutch setup is more than enough to handle the power.

Now, my purpose with this mod was to see how long it would take me to fry the engine. I have pushed boost well beyond theoretical limits to the point where power was diminished. I always test the rev limiter in both 1st and 2nd gears. The only time I ran it on street tires in the 1/4 mile, I turned 11.58 at 121 mph. I never, ever run Mobil 0W40. And I have yet to experience my long sought after grenading of the engine in my March 1998 built 996.

I'll keep trying my best, tho.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
For those who doubt their engine can handle a supercharger, I was one of the first 996's with the VF system and the first in a 1999. That was more than 45,000 miles ago. The intiial system has been substantially modified (not due to need, but for my desire to push the limits) and I haven't even had the compressor rebult. I burn no oil whatsoever.

The only problem I have had is that, during my first run after making my changes to the system, by stock clutch decided it could not handle the added power and chose to disintergrate. The new stage 2 clutch setup is more than enough to handle the power.

Now, my purpose with this mod was to see how long it would take me to fry the engine. I have pushed boost well beyond theoretical limits to the point where power was diminished. I always test the rev limiter in both 1st and 2nd gears. The only time I ran it on street tires in the 1/4 mile, I turned 11.58 at 121 mph. I never, ever run Mobil 0W40. And I have yet to experience my long sought after grenading of the engine in my March 1998 built 996.

I'll keep trying my best, tho.
So how much boost are you pushing?

Old 07-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Delius@VF-Engineering
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2IsnXgJHAY

The independently owned 997S test car is fitted with AWE header/exhaust
All testing was performed on 91 octane on Dynojet 224LXC

stock is 314 whp which equates to a little over 355 hp at the flywheel (matches Porsche's advertised power)
supercharged stage 1+ produced 455 whp with 5.3 psi which is approx 540 hp at the flywheel. Thus represents a 185 hp gain.

The VF-Engineering new Stage1+ (one-plus) is a technical upgrade to the existing stage 1 which has been on the market for just under 3 years. Stage 1+ release will shortly be announced combining the GIAC "Flashloader" with all the options for race gas, valet and kill modes. Race gas dynos coming soon.

Last edited by Delius@VF-Engineering; 07-11-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:39 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Delius,

A few questions if you don't mind.

#1. The VF-Engineering advertisement states the compression ratio as 11.3.1 in both the stock 997S and stage 1. Wouldn't the compression ratio be higher when using forced air?

#2. The Stage 1+ is stated to have approximately 540 HP at the flywheel using 91 Octane and 5.3 PSI. How is this different from the stage 1 using 91 Octane and approximately the same boost but the advertised numbers are closer to 470 HP?

#3. Will the GIAC coding be reworked to reflect the larger injectors so the computer MPG and miles to go until empty will be accurate?

FYI- I also have the stage 1 on my C4S and am very happy but do have a suggestion.

- Recommend you fabricate a small air-scoop that can be installed into the lower plastic bottom shields to direct airflow up to the intake filter as well as add additional cooling airflow through the engine compartment and out the wing.

Thanks,

Old 07-12-2008, 12:03 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
Delius, there is a discrepancy in the horsepower figures you provided. If you look at the ratios between rear wheel and crankshaft horsepower, they should be similar for both stock and modified motors. The ratios for stock don't look right, showing only 12% drivetrain loss. The supercharged ratio is 84%, which seems OK. Drivetrain losses of 16 to 17 percent are typically used for two wheel drive Porsches.

Stock 997S cars have often been reported to have 295 to 315 rear wheel horsepower. 355 stock HP with 17% loss factor equals 295 rwhp. The "before" test here may have included the headers & mufflers or the stock engine was putting out around 370 crankshaft horsepower. 10 to 15 horsepower is reasonable for aftermarket headers & mufflers.

Also, a 10 to 15 horsepower margin of error in dyno testing, depending on all sorts of factors, is common. This is not an exact science and has considerable variability. Comparisons should be on the same machine and carefully corrected for local conditions. Due to the adaptive ECU, multiple runs are needed, until the car doesn't make more power. Large fans blowing into the radiators and intake are needed for repeatability.

Using the same hypothetical loss factors, it looks like this car is making over 400 foot-pounds of torque. More torque than stock maximum from 2700 rpm. This looks like real world improvements.

The claim of 540 crankshaft horsepower may be realistic, given a 16% loss factor. The owner should replace the catalytic converters with aftermarket parts and run it again; catalytics should make another 10 horsepower. An IPD plenum may also provide midrange improvements.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Piper is infamous around these parts
The advertised performance indicates equal to or better than stock 997 TT..?? I understand the power delivery is going to come on different, but could one expect version 2 997S to pull on stock 997TT pretty easily?

Old 07-19-2008, 07:27 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
I am ready for stage 2. I am ready for stage 2.

Right now, I have Stage 1. I have Fabspeed headers, an IPD plenum, and a Synergy Racing custom fabricated center exit exhaust with race mufflers and no cats. I can dyno directly before and after with a back to back Stage 1 and Stage 2 comparison.

I think everyone would like to see that. Right?

Last edited by blakt out; 07-19-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by blakt out
I am ready for stage 2. I am ready for stage 2.

Right now, I have Stage 1. I have Fabspeed headers, an IPD plenum, and a Synergy Racing custom fabricated center exit exhaust with race mufflers and no cats. I can dyno directly before and after with a back to back Stage 1 and Stage 2 comparison.

I think everyone would like to see that. Right?
Yes.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Delius@VF-Engineering
The VF-Engineering new Stage1+ (one-plus) is a technical upgrade to the existing stage 1 which has been on the market for just under 3 years. Stage 1+ release will shortly be announced combining the GIAC "Flashloader" with all the options for race gas, valet and kill modes.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Yeeesssssssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:37 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Delius,

#1. The VF-Engineering advertisement states the compression ratio as 11.3.1 in both the stock 997S and stage 1. Wouldn't the compression ratio be higher when using forced air?

#2. The Stage 1+ is stated to have approximately 540 HP at the flywheel using 91 Octane and 5.3 PSI. How is this different from the stage 1 using 91 Octane and approximately the same boost but the advertised numbers are closer to 470 HP?

#3. Will the GIAC coding be reworked to reflect the larger injectors so the computer MPG and miles to go until empty will be accurate?

FYI- I also have the stage 1 on my C4S and am very happy but do have a suggestion.

- Recommend you fabricate a small air-scoop that can be installed into the lower plastic bottom shields to direct airflow up to the intake filter as well as add additional cooling airflow through the engine compartment and out the wing.

Thanks,

Old 07-25-2008, 12:37 AM
mark911997sC is infamous around these parts
The cars almost ready. Heres some pics with the new bilstein pss suspension.

Attached Images      
Old 07-25-2008, 08:27 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
Delius,

Thanks,
You DO NOT want the air coming from the bottom and out the engine lid as this will substantially increase both engine temperature and intake temperature. You can already maintain an intake temperature at the filter within 10F of ambient quite easily with the stock setup.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VF-Engineering SC build