997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

REVO Software Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 4thPorsche
I believe that RonCt did the AWE full exhaust setup long before the flash.

What I find interesting is that the air/fuel/timng settings are set depending on what you program. When I got my GIAC flash I was told that the software will optimize (automatically) the air/fuel and timing based on what is installed on the car. The installer, GIAC and EVO all told me the same thing. I am really curious how GIAC compares with REVO and which approach is optimal.

That is the reason why I probably won't do the GIAC, it's to generic. The REVO along with FVD (particularly FVD) have quite a bit of customization. FVD will let you email your AF ratios and such and then adjust your software some more for no extra charge. You do need a laptop though to reflash your software though. What also is nice about the FVD software if you want to run 100cell cats or no cats they can basically remove the CEL light by adjusting the tolerances that would set off the light.

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 10-05-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:01 PM
4thPorsche is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
That is the reason why I probably won't do the GIAC, it's to generic. The REVO along with FVD (particularly FVD) have quite a bit of customization. FVD will let you email your AF ratios and such and then adjust your software some more for no extra charge. You do need a laptop though to reflash your software though. What also is nice about the FVD software if you want to run 100cell cats or no cats they can basically remove the CEL light by adjusting the tolerances that would set off the light.

Dave
Interesting... I like this approach. I just checked the FVD website and they want $1495 so it looks like they are the high cost provider. I wonder if I would notice that much of a difference over the GIAC flash I currently have.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:21 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I'm so cheap that I won't do a dyno unless I win one at a PCA meeting. Point being I'm cheap and as such won't spend a dime on something unless I think it's worth it. The AWE system I purchased back in early spring was worth it in my opinion, as was the Revo I just purchased. We are not talking about 10 HP/TQ either -- of that I'm confident. And honestly, I don't care if anyone believes it or not. All I can do is share my real-world experiences of the car bone stock, AWE, and then Revo on the track and matched up with some known cars (pull hard away from other 997S that used to be dead even, 100% matched to a 997 GT3 that used to pull hard, etc.).

Old 10-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 4thPorsche
Interesting... I like this approach. I just checked the FVD website and they want $1495 so it looks like they are the high cost provider. I wonder if I would notice that much of a difference over the GIAC flash I currently have.
The FVD will also allow cam changes and such..

Dave

Old 10-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by RonCT
I'm so cheap that I won't do a dyno unless I win one at a PCA meeting. Point being I'm cheap and as such won't spend a dime on something unless I think it's worth it. The AWE system I purchased back in early spring was worth it in my opinion, as was the Revo I just purchased. We are not talking about 10 HP/TQ either -- of that I'm confident. And honestly, I don't care if anyone believes it or not. All I can do is share my real-world experiences of the car bone stock, AWE, and then Revo on the track and matched up with some known cars (pull hard away from other 997S that used to be dead even, 100% matched to a 997 GT3 that used to pull hard, etc.).
Enjoy Ron...You crack me up...

Dave

Old 10-06-2007, 08:53 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
I wonder how does it compare with the GIAC.
Sounds like u got a winner there with REvo Ron.
Happy birthday also.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:46 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Boy you are cheap. What's your paypal address? I'm always curious about new mods. I'll kick in a few bucks if others will also to see what kind of power it's really making.

What I find amazing is that you'll spend that kind of money on software from a relatively "unknown" tuner and you won't spend $50 to see if it translates into more hp. Even EVO only claims 10hp on a 997, although I don't know if that's wheel or crank hp. I would hope it's wheel hp for $1000. There are so many scams in the tuning world, I feel compelled to dyno my car after upgrades. Not to mention I think it's great for other consumers on here to see some unbiased product testing.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:54 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Here's a link to Revo's porsche software for a 3.6 liter motor. They didn't have the 997 accessible on the site yet.

Performance ECU Tuning Software by Revo Technik

They claim 10-20 hp (kind of a broad claim and I'm not sure if it's wheel or crank) and it's $900.

I don't really know much about their products as there aren't a ton of people using it yet. I do know a dealer that uses Revo and he told me that they sell the Revo instead of the Evo because he makes a lot more money off the Revo products. He said it was a good product, although he's used it more on turbo applications.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:42 PM
redduck996 is infamous around these parts
i have stupid question, giac, evo and revo all all different companies that updates the dme? I checked with my dealer and they have never heard of revo. Are the methods for the 3 flashes the same?

thanks

Old 10-06-2007, 05:44 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I guess you don't see my point at all. I'm cheap so I won't waste $250 (that's what a dyno session costs here) to confirm what I already know -- that my car pulls significantly harder now than before the software went in. I don't care one bit if it makes 1 or 10 or 25 HP/TQ -- I'm not chasing those numbers. I'm chasing performance on the track and the software makes my car go faster around Lime Rock as verified by my 20 hz sampling TraqMate.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:54 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I spoke to the guy at revo yesterday. I believe it was George. Very nice guy. The nearest place to me was is 90 minutes or so away. Too bad, I am curious and would like to "try before you buy".

Old 10-06-2007, 08:24 PM
I guess you don't see my point at all. I'm cheap so I won't waste $250 (that's what a dyno session costs here) to confirm what I already know -- that my car pulls significantly harder now than before the software went in. I don't care one bit if it makes 1 or 10 or 25 HP/TQ -- I'm not chasing those numbers. I'm chasing performance on the track and the software makes my car go faster around Lime Rock as verified by my 20 hz sampling TraqMate.
I think it's all in your head 10 HP on a 350 hp car doesn't make it pull "significantly harder". One second difference in lap times could be the result of a lot of different things. To each his own. Enjoy

Old 10-06-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm not debating this, but again, you didn't read my post at all. The improvement in lap time is not what I'm stating as why I know the Revo is pulling harder. I said (read above) that when you plot the exact same points on the main straight (or better yet, when I watch the real-time car symbols moving on the track) you can clearly see that both laps (pre and post Revo) start at one point at the same speed, and the Revo car pulls significantly harder and reaches a higher top speed. It's progressive -- like watching a drag race where both cars are standing still, both start at the same time, and one progressively pulls away because it has more power / torque. Then I also described how the other 997S guys I run with that used to be right with me, are now far behind on acceleration. Then also the 997 GT3 that simply was perfectly matched in power.

I agree, 10 HP cannot account for that, which is why I believe we are not talking about 10 HP. AWE and Revo combined have done something significant to this car. I've put hundreds of laps on Lime Rock in this car and only with the Revo have I felt it to be scary-fast in the back straight entering the braking zone for the uphill. I've been in "Black" for a few years -- driving at 10/10 is not new to me especially at this track that is my home track. Anyway -- my intent from the start was to give a review from a very cautious, cheap, hard-to-sell track guy.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Personally I think anything gains you're feeling at the track or seeing on your datalogger are probably the result of the headers and cats. There is a lot of power to be gained there. I've personally dyno'd the EVO/Suncoast headers and saw a significant power increase. There is a lot power to be had in the cats too. The mufflers, not so much, but they sound great. I think ECU reprogramming on most NA cars is a gimmick. Turbos are another story. But hey, modding is fun and the ECU flashes can't hurt.

Limerock is a great track. I've only been there once but we had a great time.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
No matter how you look at it, $900 is a bargain to get the mentioned gains.

Anything decent for us Ferrari guys is $3,500.00 plus!

I understand that the bulk of the software upgrade is timing for the area fuel octane rather than what the factory does as general optomizations.

One tuner told me that their customers (in California where we have mostly 91 octane) tell of increased fuel mileage from the optomization which is understandable, but reading about the above noticeable gains in the mid-range band is very encouraging.

Apparently Porsche has only one (1) ECU where Ferrari uses two (2). However, I can't see why Ferrari tuning is so costly.

Any guesses? Lower purchase volumes?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: REVO Software Review