997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

REVO Software Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned
Robin@Revo is infamous around these parts
When tuning the factory ECU, Porsche takes into account many factors. Available octane levels, elevation, heat, humidity, even heat soak and the like. Having to be so general, this leaves quite a bit of performance on the table. Motronic is a very powerful, very flexible engine management system, but there is always room for improvement. Our engineers spend months tweaking hundreds of factory maps looking for every last bit of potential in a given application.

The common misconception that you can't make any power via chiptuning in a normally aspirated application is a pretty old veil that we're hoping to escape from underneath. There are definite increases, in not only horsepower and torque, but overall throttle response and drivability that we realize for your Porsche.

Our Select Plus application gives you the ability to use professional-level data acquisition to dial your own specific tune in. Throttle sensitivity, target air-fuel ratios, and ignition timing advance are all adjustable. Want to run 100 octane at the track? Cool night out? Wanna try some more timing? Turn it up.

I'lll try to address some of your individual questions below:

What I find interesting is that the air/fuel/timng settings are set depending on what you program. When I got my GIAC flash I was told that the software will optimize (automatically) the air/fuel and timing based on what is installed on the car. The installer, GIAC and EVO all told me the same thing. I am really curious how GIAC compares with REVO and which approach is optimal.
The GIAC flash is a one-size-fits-all program. It has set maps that will try to achieve a performance model that GIAC defines. This is fine, if your car is a blueprint of the car that GIAC used for development. We all know these Porsche motors can be 10-15hp off one another even coming off the assembly line. What REVO allows you to do is use our Variable Table Technology to set your own levels to suit your car.

Maybe your car likes more ignition timing but at a slightly richer mixture? Or maybe you live in an area with 94 octane gasoline and cool weather, and you want a more aggressive file. What you call "optimizing" is really Motronic just adapting to the conditions, which it will do to a point until it reaches the model that GIAC defines. Sometimes those adaptations can help or hinder. Our Motronic programming adapts as well, but the model that it adapts to is of your choosing. I should mention that this is all done without removing any of the factory safeguards built into Motronic, namely knock control and EGT protection. You can set your Revo settings to whatever you'd like, its only going to try and achieve what it can realistically.

What also is nice about the FVD software if you want to run 100cell cats or no cats they can basically remove the CEL light by adjusting the tolerances that would set off the light.
We can accommodate for race pipe scenarios as well on all applications.

What I find amazing is that you'll spend that kind of money on software from a relatively "unknown" tuner and you won't spend $50 to see if it translates into more hp.
Revo has been tuning Bosch Motronic since 2002, and we've launched full force into the Porsche flash tuning market starting in 2005. We have applications for every E-Gas Porsche model since 2000, and over 200 authorised dealers worldwide... hardly "unknown", I'd say.

I've attached a dyno sheet of our 997 GT3 software. I apologize for not being able to put my finger on a 997 S graph at this moment. It shows a 12 wheel horsepower gain with 11ft/lbs of torque, on a "heartbreaker" dyno dynamics dyno. Thats gain at peak, but the area underneath the curve has increased immensely. This dyno sheet was obtained from a customer car, on 91 octane in SoCal. You can expect greater gains from 93 octane fuel.

These are real world results, and I'd gladly take that beer wager with some dyno time

If you guys have any questions about our programming, feel free to email me, robin.roemisch@revotechnik.com or post here.

I'm glad you're enjoying the software, Ron!

Attached Images  

Last edited by Robin@Revo; 10-09-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Robin I contacted a Revo dealer regarding 100 cpi metallic cats or no cats and was told they wouldn't touch this emissions map. Can the software also be tuned for cams??

Dave

Old 10-09-2007, 02:19 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Hey Robin:

I've got an idea. I'm not volunteering, but why not see if one of the more well known forum members on here will donate their car and take it to an "independent dyno" at their own expense? You pay for the flash and they pay for the dyno. Make it for either a 3.6 or 3.8 liter car, bone stock. That would very interesting and would be great advertisement for your product if it really works. I still don't think you can get much more than 10hp out of a NA with chip tuning, which is more or less an imperceptible difference on a 350hp car.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:49 PM
johnsosn is infamous around these parts
Robin, Is it necessary to visit a dealer to have the software installed or can it be installed by ourselves?
Regards
Simon

Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Banned
George@Revo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnsosn
Robin, Is it necessary to visit a dealer to have the software installed or can it be installed by ourselves?
Regards
Simon
Simon,
The software can only be installed by an authorized Revo Technik dealer. Where in the UK are you located? We have quite a few dealers on the island.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Hi George,
I'm in Essex.South East England.
I have been told that porsche can tell if the software has been changed, even if you put the standard map back in, because some revo software is left behind is this the case.
Also George, the software seems a reasonable price in the States (which I would be happy to pay), but rather more expensive in the U.K.
Regards
Simon

Old 10-09-2007, 03:23 PM
frafoss is infamous around these parts
I also wonder why the prices are so different from country to country. In US $900, in UK a bit more, in Norway + $2000???? I would very much like to try the REVO SPS, but when I see these price differences all lust is gone!!

Why the big differences??? The work is done by a computer and the work load is similar no matter place.

Since the development is already done, it must be in REVO's interest to sell as much as possible, but the huge differences makes people wonder if this is a serious partner or not.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Banned
Hi George,
I have been told that porsche can tell if the software has been changed, even if you put the standard map back in, because some revo software is left behind is this the case.
Also George, the software seems a reasonable price in the States (which I would be happy to pay), but rather more expensive in the U.K.
Regards
Simon
In a typical service environment while using standard diagnostic tools such as a PST-2 or the current PIWIS, that statement is completely false. However, if Porsche were determined and had the ECU in their possession, they could conceivably see some forensic data that could lead them to conclude that the ECU had been flashed but this information couldn't be quantifiable as 'non-factory'. Please keep in mind that this is a completely hypothetical scenario and one that I have yet to see with 10+ years in the business, including 5 as a service writer myself.

As for the pricing, it's all based on and relative to the currency of that particular market.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Hi George,
I'm in Essex.South East England.---but rather more expensive in the U.K.
Regards
Simon
Are you kidding? Everything is more expensive in England!

I went broke there last week for 2 1/2 days. What I spent there in hotels and food would have paid for a nice new set of headers for my 360!

Man, move from there!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:50 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by George@Revo
In a typical service environment while using standard diagnostic tools such as a PST-2 or the current PIWIS, that statement is completely false. However, if Porsche were determined and had the ECU in their possession, they could conceivably see some forensic data that could lead them to conclude that the ECU had been flashed but this information couldn't be quantifiable as 'non-factory'. Please keep in mind that this is a completely hypothetical scenario and one that I have yet to see with 10+ years in the business, including 5 as a service writer myself.

As for the pricing, it's all based on and relative to the currency of that particular market.
Again, I'm not volunteering... But how about some independent testing with one of the forum's senior members who has a stock car and is willing to take it to an independent dyno for some before and after testing?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:09 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by StrtSwpr996
Maybe around the track but as far as straight line speed, i dont think so. I know that a 996tt takes a 996gt3 in straight line and i have been pretty much right ther with 996 tt's

In a straight line especially. I walked a car with the mods I previously listed pretty easily when my car was stock, we swithced drivers and it was the same result. Porsche underated the power of 996 GT3's significantly, but not the 997S. And you are not getting 40+ horses from a flash and exhaust.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:17 PM
StrtSwpr996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
In a straight line especially. I walked a car with the mods I previously listed pretty easily when my car was stock, we swithced drivers and it was the same result. Porsche underated the power of 996 GT3's significantly, but not the 997S. And you are not getting 40+ horses from a flash and exhaust.
Do you agree with me that 996tt can walk a 996gt3? if so then i will try to find one to run and get a video for you. Its kind of hard to find GT3's orelse i would love to run one.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:20 AM
Currently the price for the sps in the U.K is more than £1100(with tax) which equates to at least $2200 dollars.
I will not pay this.
I would, however buy the software at the U.S price today.
I feel put off purchasing the product in my country simply because I feel I'm being ripped off.
In the end Revo and myself both miss out.If we could download this ourselves, this could be different.
Regards
Simon

Old 10-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Currently the price for the sps in the U.K is more than £1100(with tax) which equates to at least $2200 dollars.
I will not pay this.
I would, however buy the software at the U.S price today.
I feel put off purchasing the product in my country simply because I feel I'm being ripped off.
In the end Revo and myself both miss out.If we could download this ourselves, this could be different.
Regards
Simon
You have two options... Well, actually three. You pay double for it in your home country, which I wouldn't do either. You could get the EVO, which if you must flash your NA car, that is the route I would go. Although FVD has some interesting options as well these days and they've got an excellent "established" reputation. Lastly, unless there is some major difference in programming between the Euro and US cars, you could remove your ECU and ship it to the US to get flashed at a US EVO dealer. That is of course if Revo is capable of doing that, which they should be. The only thing extra you'll be paying is shipping both ways.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by deputydog95
You have two options... Well, actually three. You pay double for it in your home country, which I wouldn't do either. You could get the EVO, which if you must flash your NA car, that is the route I would go. Although FVD has some interesting options as well these days and they've got an excellent "established" reputation. Lastly, unless there is some major difference in programming between the Euro and US cars, you could remove your ECU and ship it to the US to get flashed at a US EVO dealer. That is of course if Revo is capable of doing that, which they should be. The only thing extra you'll be paying is shipping both ways.
FVD is certainly established as a manufacturer and importer of hard parts and mechanical components; however, they’re a relative newcomer in the performance software market. I'm certainly not taking anything away from them or their product but if the inference is they are more 'established' as a tuning provider, I would ask on what basis?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: REVO Software Review