997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Street/Track set up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:30 PM
frafoss is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 58spdstr
Yes, its a Quaife ATB diff.
I'm not experienced with Quaife. What are pro and cons?

I'm very interested to hear why you do this mod and what you expect of it.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:17 PM
58spdstr has a spectacular aura about58spdstr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by frafoss
I'm not experienced with Quaife. What are pro and cons?

I'm very interested to hear why you do this mod and what you expect of it.

I'm expecting to get better traction on the track. With significantly more horsepower than stock, there is lots of opportunity for wheel spin exiting turns with the stock set up. Quaife has a very good reputation, both in motorsports applications, and as a supplier of oem LSD solutions. I'll let you know how it works out when I've had some time with it.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by 58spdstr
I'm expecting to get better traction on the track. With significantly more horsepower than stock, there is lots of opportunity for wheel spin exiting turns with the stock set up. Quaife has a very good reputation, both in motorsports applications, and as a supplier of oem LSD solutions. I'll let you know how it works out when I've had some time with it.
Thanks. From my understanding, you don't get any help during braking with a TBD as the Quaife compard to a LSD, but I guess its the same with the stock differential also.

Looking forward to get your report. Good luck

Old 02-03-2008, 09:57 PM
nct510 is infamous around these parts
How about the 911 lettering on the read deck lid? Reminds me of my 70s & 80s cars. Who still provides that?

Old 02-04-2008, 04:44 AM
58spdstr has a spectacular aura about58spdstr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by nct510
How about the 911 lettering on the read deck lid? Reminds me of my 70s & 80s cars. Who still provides that?
BumperPlugs.com they're a board sponsor

Old 02-04-2008, 08:15 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, the bumper heads off to paint today. I glassed shut the bumperettes to give the rear end a euro look, and also made use of the rear tow hook in the existing rear bumper. When Rick goes to the track, all he will have to do is undo 2 screws holding the license plate on, and we can screw in the tow hook. It is a Misha rear bumper, and the fit is ok. It took a lot of heating with the infrared to get everything where I wanted it. The nice thing about fiberglass, is that if it is off, you can put pressure on where you want to change it, let the infrared heater heat it up for about 20 minutes, then remove the heat, and the bumper will form to where you want it. The fender lines at the wheel well are a little off, but it is a good as I could get it with this bumper.

We do a lot of Quaife LSD units in the cayman's, so this will be a similar install. It is going to really help out going through the corners, and I expect him to cut off quite a bit off his lap time.

My camera quality isn't the greatest, but here is the interior shifter in alcantara, along with the ebrake and console lid cover that we just added.

Last edited by IAPorscheDoc; 02-04-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
Yup, the bumper heads off to paint today. I glassed shut the bumperettes to give the rear end a euro look, and also made use of the rear tow hook in the existing rear bumper. When Rick goes to the track, all he will have to do is undo 2 screws holding the license plate on, and we can screw in the tow hook. It is a Misha rear bumper, and the fit is ok. It took a lot of heating with the infrared to get everything where I wanted it. The nice thing about fiberglass, is that if it is off, you can put pressure on where you want to change it, let the infrared heater heat it up for about 20 minutes, then remove the heat, and the bumper will form to where you want it. The fender lines at the wheel well are a little off, but it is a good as I could get it with this bumper.

We do a lot of Quaife LSD units in the cayman's, so this will be a similar install. It is going to really help out going through the corners, and I expect him to cut off quite a bit off his lap time.

My camera quality isn't the greatest, but here is the interior shifter in alcantara, along with the ebrake and console lid cover that we just added.

Very nice

Is the install of the Quaife diffucult. How much time on the install?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:01 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice

Is the install of the Quaife diffucult. How much time on the install?
In car it is about 6 hours for the caymans. I have never tried it with a 997 in car, but there *should* be enough room...don't quote me on that though. I will be pulling the tranny for the clutch, so will be able to do it on the bench which will be faster.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks!!!

Old 02-05-2008, 09:13 AM
In car it is about 6 hours for the caymans. I have never tried it with a 997 in car, but there *should* be enough room...don't quote me on that though. I will be pulling the tranny for the clutch, so will be able to do it on the bench which will be faster.
My workshop Manthey Racing haven't done this Quaife LSD mod before, so they ask me if there are some parts who needs to be replaced during the install. They say the install should be done in about 4 hours.

Appreciate your comments.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:04 PM
My workshop Manthey Racing haven't done this Quaife LSD mod before, so they ask me if there are some parts who needs to be replaced during the install. They say the install should be done in about 4 hours.

Appreciate your comments.
Lol, if they haven't done the mod, how do they know how long it takes?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 PM
They have done a lot of this work, but not a Quaife. They don't do ATB only use german LSD. I expect from Drexler.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 AM
B-moreBroker is infamous around these parts
Doc - any suggestions on how to make the headlight sensors fit with the cup control arms for 997 or did they just design the control arms assuming no night time driving?

Thanks

Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by B-moreBroker
Doc - any suggestions on how to make the headlight sensors fit with the cup control arms for 997 or did they just design the control arms assuming no night time driving?

Thanks
I have the same problem. After the workshop installed the cup arms and Bilstein PSS the headlight went straight to upwards. Since my workshop i far away, for a temporary solution, I put the sensor on a peace of plastic scum and fasten it with tree strips around the control arm. It seems to be fine for them moment.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:09 PM
TigerStadt is infamous around these parts
Doc-

I'll be coming to see you Tues to talk alignment on my '05 S. I'm getting understeer and wear on the outside front and rear. Stock setup at the moment. Need some -neg cam and possibly toe adjust. Headed for Road America Sept 7-9

See ya, Dave

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Street/Track set up