997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Can You Add Sport Chrono Package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
The car is more responsive in general, pushing the SC button is like throwing 2 passengers out of the car.
My reference was to teeth.

You are the 2thFxr are you not?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Nugget
Sport Chrono is like an amp that goes to eleven.
Why not just make 10 louder?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:13 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gcalo
My reference was to teeth.

You are the 2thFxr are you not?
Missed that....

Old 10-11-2007, 10:16 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
My car has sport chrono. I can't say that I'm all that impressed with it - but it does look really cool lit up @ night.

I don't really care for the throttle mapping. If it were like the TT and actually *added* power as opposed to changing the throttle sensitivity I could see that it would be addictive.

Strangely enough at my last auto-x - I was experimenting with car setting. It was a practice event so we got 12 runs instead of 3 or 4.

The car was faster with PCM off and with the car in Normal and not Sport.

Sport was too stiff and the car skittered around. In Normal the additional compliance helped the car stick during bumpy transitions.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:26 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Except it isn't. Shedding the weight of two passengers will make the car faster. Sport chrono does not make the car faster.
Not arguing that point, SC makes the car FEEL faster and more responsive esp in around town driving. Obviously SC does not add anything to top speed or acceleration times but the car definitely feels sluggish without SC on. It's more than just a simple remap of the throttle curve like some are suggesting. Directly from Porsche's website,

"In Sport mode, the engine management system’s variable parameters are recalibrated to enhance engine response. A modified throttle map empowers your right foot with more progressive reaction to each tap of the accelerator. In higher gears, a rev-limiter works in tandem to offer additional protection for the engine under acceleration."

Old 10-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

I love my sport chrono!!!!!!
I dont think is useless!!!!! I think is a non excuse option!!!!!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 11:18 AM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lig
My car has sport chrono. I can't say that I'm all that impressed with it - but it does look really cool lit up @ night.

I don't really care for the throttle mapping. If it were like the TT and actually *added* power as opposed to changing the throttle sensitivity I could see that it would be addictive.

Strangely enough at my last auto-x - I was experimenting with car setting. It was a practice event so we got 12 runs instead of 3 or 4.

The car was faster with PCM off and with the car in Normal and not Sport.

Sport was too stiff and the car skittered around. In Normal the additional compliance helped the car stick during bumpy transitions.
wtf, I have sport chrono but it does not light up at night. Do you have to have the thing turned on for it to light up or should it light up at night when the lights are on regardless?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:35 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Mine lights up at night when the lights and sports chrono are both on. If the timer is off, then so is the chrono. You can freeze the chrono at a certain time (mine is at 9.11--took lots of tries), and it stays lit up at night.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:00 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by spyder997s
Mine lights up at night when the lights and sports chrono are both on. If the timer is off, then so is the chrono. You can freeze the chrono at a certain time (mine is at 9.11--took lots of tries), and it stays lit up at night.
Hmm i will give that a try...thanks for the info.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:22 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Be thankful you don't have that useless wart on your dash. Car is no faster or more powerful and actually harder to drive due to the twitchy throttle map.

Honestly, be happy you have a great car and stop worrying about a gimmick

Old 10-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Nugget is infamous around these parts
Not arguing that point, SC makes the car FEEL faster and more responsive esp in around town driving. Obviously SC does not add anything to top speed or acceleration times but the car definitely feels sluggish without SC on. It's more than just a simple remap of the throttle curve like some are suggesting.
Porsche's marketing speak notwithstanding, unless you're bouncing the engine off the rev limiter then the SC really is nothing more than a simple remap of the throttle curve. I'd argue that the normal mapping only feels sluggish if you're accustomed to the SC's twitchier mapping. If you never use the "sport" mode then the normal mapping isn't going to feel sluggish at all. It's simply a matter of what you're accustomed to.

SC doesn't actually accomplish any performance improvement. If you don't have it (or don't use it) you'll never miss it.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:59 AM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Not arguing that point, SC makes the car FEEL faster and more responsive esp in around town driving. Obviously SC does not add anything to top speed or acceleration times but the car definitely feels sluggish without SC on. It's more than just a simple remap of the throttle curve like some are suggesting. Directly from Porsche's website,

"In Sport mode, the engine management system’s variable parameters are recalibrated to enhance engine response. A modified throttle map empowers your right foot with more progressive reaction to each tap of the accelerator. In higher gears, a rev-limiter works in tandem to offer additional protection for the engine under acceleration."
Since I added a Plenum and Headers I find the SC totally useless.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:06 AM
dmoney is infamous around these parts
If you bought that car it will be tougher to sell without the chrono dude. I'm happy with it, it's always on in my car.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Sport Chrono is like an amp that goes to eleven.
Lol. Or like a significant other with a padded bra...?

Old 10-13-2007, 10:42 AM
xeron is infamous around these parts
never use it at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can You Add Sport Chrono Package?