997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Can You Add Sport Chrono Package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:20 PM
mal28 is infamous around these parts
regardless of whether it is useful, I think it is just ugly and breaks the smooth line of the top of the dash

Old 10-15-2007, 02:35 AM
DeepDog is infamous around these parts
The sport chrono is also supposed to back off on the limits for the PSM. I guess this could help on the track if you are trail braking. I don't have it on my 997S. Could anyone who does tell us if it helps or hinders lap times or it does not matter really?

Thanks

Old 10-15-2007, 04:56 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I ordered my car without Sport Chrono because I am a track junkie. PSM absolutely will not get in the way unless you aren't driving properly. I'm still learning the new format (came from E46 M3 for 4 years to my first Porsche) and am already at 1:02 at Lime Rock and 2:15 at Watkins Glen (stock 997S with pads and RA1s). Full car rotation, 4 wheel drift, etc. -- no blinkie. PSM has only kicked in once when I wanted to see the limits -- you really have to screw up for it to get involved. Threshold braking, trail braking, left foot braking -- you name the braking and PSM won't interfere.

So no, the elevated limits in SC are not something anyone needs, in my opinion. Maybe a less experienced driver who has no car control, but if you are smooth, you will not see PSM kick in. This is based on my 25 or so hours on the track in the Black run group at Lime Rock and Watkins Glen.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:26 AM
tsmithmdtx is infamous around these parts
I agree with all of the above and I too didn't use my SC for the first few months. However once I started using it I think it makes the car feel faster ( I know it's not!). It is a low cost option that I think is desirable for resale.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Truble10 is infamous around these parts
I use mine 90% of the time - all street driving. When I forget to turn it n the car feels sluggish. I would get it again. I like the way the throttle feels when turned on - the way a sports can should feel IMO.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:26 PM
jjparkusa is infamous around these parts
Had it on my 05 cab, don't have it on my 06 coupe. Don't miss it at all. Once you get past the novelty of being able to change the throttle response, you realize that is really not that big a deal and you get used to it one way or the other.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:21 AM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Truble10
I use mine 90% of the time - all street driving. When I forget to turn it n the car feels sluggish. I would get it again. I like the way the throttle feels when turned on - the way a sports can should feel IMO.
Top Gear loved it in their review of the 997S

Old 10-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Banned
PHC1 is infamous around these parts
I enjoyed the sport button/throttle re-map on my previous E46 M3 so I guess I'll be checking the sport chrono option on my 997 order. It's good to have that option, sometimes you're in the mood to drive more aggressively, sometimes not. Doesn't make the car any faster but kind of tailors the personality of the car to your driving mood.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:06 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Again, it doesn't change the mood of the car -- all it does is change how much you press your foot on the gas ever so slightly. If it took say 5mm of travel for a certain amount of throttle, it changes that. There's no difference. If you want to drive sportier, you simply press the gas a tiny bit more. The gimmick is that if you are driving along and have your foot planted say 50% and then press the magic button, then the car jumps ahead because it's like the car pressed your foot a millimeter.

Originally Posted by PHC1
I enjoyed the sport button/throttle re-map on my previous E46 M3 so I guess I'll be checking the sport chrono option on my 997 order. It's good to have that option, sometimes you're in the mood to drive more aggressively, sometimes not. Doesn't make the car any faster but kind of tailors the personality of the car to your driving mood.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Exactly and well said

Old 10-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Banned
I understand what you're saying RonCT. I guess the biggest difference and the "personality" change I was talking about, at least from my own personal experience is that you kind of get used to the amount of gas you need for a smooth start from dead stop, hitting the sport button on the M3 would always result in a more aggressive launch than you were used to or expect adding to the "illusion" of more power and a more responsive car. Of course in the long run of things it is not a big deal. I could take it or leave it. I don't have much experience with the sport chrono as I don't even have a 997 yet, so what do I know.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Watch the top gear video on the 997S,Jeremy Clarkson loves the sport chrono and says it really changes the character of the car...but what does he know .

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=4

Old 10-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Banned
Thanks for the video link 500! That was fun to watch. Can't wait to get a 997, the car "touched" me like no other before from the very first test drive.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the video link 500! That was fun to watch. Can't wait to get a 997, the car "touched" me like no other before from the very first test drive.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:54 PM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I agree...I'm glad I didn't get it..I'm like for what??

Dave
i am glad i didnt get too. But i like the look of the clock (may be my prefarence), is there any aftermarket poser clock(regular clock) resembles the chrono clock?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can You Add Sport Chrono Package?