997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why are Champion wheels so expensive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:15 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I LOVE Champion wheels!!!! Thomas amazing car, loving the setup!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Former Vendor
WheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant future
Yes I was responding specifically to the 19" wheel question. The RF67 wheels in 19" are wide body only and silver only. The RF67 wheels in 20" are narrow and wide body (although not quite wide enough for GT3 or GT3 RS) and silver or gunmetal. We have the 20" wheels in stock as well.

Originally Posted by Piper
This wheel is available for narrow body in 20". Look at champion website. They show two different offsets. However, I do believe Alan is correct about 19".

Old 10-29-2007, 11:26 AM
jjparkusa is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Piper
I really want to get some 20" RF67's, but man $6200 for wheels alone??!! Seems to be quite a bit more than other highend wheel manufacturers. That is the price I was quoted straight from Champion. Anyone know how to get these any cheaper?
Why are any of the premium wheels so expensive? Champions are not any more than upper end HRE's and others. Think of what you are getting for 6k or 4k or whatever- basically four pieces of forged aluminum. The margins for the mfg must be obscene.

I personally like Champions because they are Porsche specific and their style is dinstinctively Porsche.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Former Vendor
WheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant future
There are many unseen costs involved well beyond the cost of an aluminum forging, some of which take a long time to amortize.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Alan Baylis
There are many unseen costs involved well beyond the cost of an aluminum forging, some of which take a long time to amortize.
But compare the cost of a set of Champions to, let's say, a Cayman S. Do you think that 10 sets of Champions are equal to an entire Cayman S in terms of total cost?... and we all know that Porsche makes a sh..tload of money on a Cayman S and there are substantial fixed costs that need to be amortized.

I am not criticizing high end wheels- just pointing out that the margins are obscene- much like my wife's LV purse .

Old 10-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jjparkusa
But compare the cost of a set of Champions to, let's say, a Cayman S. Do you think that 10 sets of Champions are equal to an entire Cayman S in terms of total cost?... and we all know that Porsche makes a sh..tload of money on a Cayman S and there are substantial fixed costs that need to be amortized.

I am not criticizing high end wheels- just pointing out that the margins are obscene- much like my wife's LV purse .

You are right on with the high profit margin. Wait until your wife moves onto Hermes handbags. My wife has a few and each cost $8000+. I told her that it is just a bag, she said she doesn't have all the colors...

Question for Alan Baylis,
Should we order our Champion wheels from you? or through the dealers? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Enhancement is a stocking dealer for Champion Motorsport products. Please call or e-mail for a quote.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:04 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
You are right on with the high profit margin. Wait until your wife moves onto Hermes handbags. My wife has a few and each cost $8000+. I told her that it is just a bag, she said she doesn't have all the colors...
I thought my wife was nuts for getting a $2k Versace wrap (I call it an oversized scarf - wtf do I know?) on Rodeo. We avoided the Hermes store entirely, thank goodnes.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Andre5 is infamous around these partsAndre5 is infamous around these parts
Heck, if I sold all of my wife's purses, I'd be rolling on 20" Champions right this minute!

Old 10-29-2007, 11:59 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
I was lucky my car came with CHAMPIONS...

you cannot shake a stick at the fit and finish of these wheels...and they just look "right" on a Porsche...I love mine. Plus they are a little more "rare" than the usual...HREs that are out there. Of course nothing wrong at all with HREs, HRE's would probably my second choice in wheels...they are just more popular than Champions.

Last edited by AsianImage; 10-30-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by Targa Tim

Question for Alan Baylis,
Should we order our Champion wheels from you? or through the dealers? Thanks.
Hope that doesn't happen. Zero leverage against these kinds of purchases by the wife when one is buying wheels and swapping out cars every year.

On Wheel Ehancement, they have great service and product but I probably wouldn't go there looking for a bargain- of course Alan you could prove me wrong.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Former Vendor
We don't claim to have the lowest price, however our prices are competitive. If you are looking for some disposable wheels for a disposable car there are better places to look.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:50 PM
We don't claim to have the lowest price, however our prices are competitive. If you are looking for some disposable wheels for a disposable car there are better places to look.
I don't recall anyone on this thread who said they are looking for "disposable wheels for disposable cars". I am sure that you are competitive or you wouldn't be in business- in fact, I have bought wheels from you. I just said WE is not the place to go if your bargain shopping. No need to disparage those who are looking for a deal by throwing out a unfair comment like that.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Former Vendor
I realize that I worded that badly. I am not trying to offend any person on the boards or anywhere else for that matter. There are cars that I would consider disposable. My first car, a 72 Ford Pinto fell into that category. I was able to purchase some gold mod steel wheels from the tire shop I worked at for $20.00 each because they were discontinued, disposable wheels.
Sorry if I offended anyone.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:40 PM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
I realize that I worded that badly. I am not trying to offend any person on the boards or anywhere else for that matter. There are cars that I would consider disposable. My first car, a 72 Ford Pinto fell into that category. I was able to purchase some gold mod steel wheels from the tire shop I worked at for $20.00 each because they were discontinued, disposable wheels.
Sorry if I offended anyone.
Know where I can score some wheels like that for the GT?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why are Champion wheels so expensive?