997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why are Champion wheels so expensive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:47 PM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
$6200 for a set of wheels? Sounds cheap to me . . . At least compared to my Dymags!

Old 11-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Tommy6030 is infamous around these parts
Champion wheels are priced well I think. They are all lightweight 1 piece aluminum wheels that are forged under 8,000 tons of pressure. The finished product is flawless and when you pick one up, it will amaze you how light they are.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Made in Japan.,don;t know the contractor thou.

Originally Posted by Frissen
I wonder where do Champion wheels come from exactly. At first I believed Champion wheels were what we used to know as Speedline wheels yet Speedline was purchased by Amcast and since then I haven't heard of the Speedline name yet there are some "Corse" versions for racing vehicles looks like mostly rally racing and other applications:

http://www.speedlinecorse.co.uk/

As far as Porsche specific wheels go there are many prices:

TSW/Victor equipment are realtively cheap. My bottom line as far as cheap wheels go is TSW, well built in South Africa with virgin aluminum and euro designs:

http://tsw.com/

http://www.victorequipmentwheels.com/

not very agressive offsets though

BBS also offers what I would call the classic design and unquestionable quality, yes I know some VW BBS wheels were claimed to fail, yet I still have my doubts. I wish the offer their race line for the strret I love the ones Manthay use, yet not available in the USA, I could be wrong:

http://www.bbs-usa.com/

BBS also makes the TechArt Formula using a special forging process.

OZ wheels, named after their creators Silavo Aselladore and Pietro Zen are built in Italy from their own mill.

http://www.ozracing.com/

strong, light, with respectful designs, plus, they build many tuner wheels.

RH wheels an unused brand in the states makes reasonable wheels with applications for Porsche. Gemaballa re-brands RH wheels as their own in some cases, but they also use an Italian manufacturer, Mille Miglia I believe, could be wrong. Anyway RH here:

http://www.rh-alurad.de/

CEC announced a new Antera for Porsche. Antera wheels used to be built in Italy but I believe the moved to Geramany. Nice wheels, revolutionary designs in the 90's

http://www.antera.de/

Some wheels I love for Porsche are Sportec, here

http://www.sportec.ch/

Cargraphics are nice too...

http://www.cargraphic.de/

and many others like the American made Fikse and HRE offer tremendous performance.

But why are Champions so expensive? Must be marketing channel becuse at the rate these guys build 'em they well amortize the molds and forging process which are the two most expensive parts of the process, everything else, like design, packing and shipping are an ongoing thing in the industry for large wheel factories or mills. Smaller companies, that do forged and size/offset specific wheels have more of a problem in the fabrication and distribution sector thus more expensive.

Don't worry you have choices, look after the sponsors at the side bar...

www.wheelsexperts.com are an option, Peter knows his wheels well and even can come up with something special...

like the Rinspeed http://www.rinspeed.ch/

or phletora of custom forged wheels in a myriad of finishes,
right Peter

absolutely no affiliation to Peter or wheelexperts, just mentioning a reliable source for me, ok.

More on wheels? PM

Old 11-20-2011, 10:15 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Really? You responded to a 4-year old post??

Old 11-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Yes,so what?haven't see an answer to the post yet.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:50 AM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sonny
Made in Japan.,don;t know the contractor thou.
You're right that they are indeed forged in Japan. In the early 2000s when JPY was weak and the dollar was strong, the price was not as prohibitive as they are now. With the exchange currently in the 1 USD to 7X JPY range, these wheels have gotten substantially more expensive.

The Champion Wheels are forged by Tan-Ei-Sya 鍛栄社. You can tell by the distinct sticker design on the wheel box. You can see the same stickers on Neez and RAC wheels. I had a chance to visit their factory ca. 2004-5 and it was an impressive facility. They also forged rims for F1 and all the BBS forged rims except for FI.

Last edited by K-E-V; 11-20-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned
Great to know who actually make my wheels (RS184's),thanks much for the info.,cheers.

Originally Posted by K-E-V
You're right that they are indeed forged in Japan. In the early 2000s when JPY was weak and the dollar was strong, the price was not as prohibitive as they are now. With the exchange currently in the 1 USD to 7X JPY range, these wheels have gotten substantially more expensive.

The Champion Wheels are forged by Tan-Ei-Sya 鍛栄社. You can tell by the distinct sticker design on the wheel box. You can see the same stickers on Neez and RAC wheels. I had a chance to visit their factory ca. 2004-5 and it was an impressive facility. They also forged rims for F1 and all the BBS forged rims except for FI.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:37 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Really? You responded to a 4-year old post??
Is responding to an 4 year old post considered message board etiquette?

Old 11-20-2011, 12:40 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Great to know who actually make my wheels (RS184's),thanks much for the info.,cheers.
Got some pics?

I just saw these on a GMG WC 996 GT2. I think I must have these.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:44 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Yes,so what?haven't see an answer to the post yet.
Originally Posted by sizquik
Is responding to an 4 year old post considered message board etiquette?
Sorry guys. It just seemed a little unusual at first, but have probably done something similar myself in the past. And yes, if the topic is still relevant, there is no problem.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:11 AM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
If anyone is interested, there is a set of 20" RF167 on Fleabay for cheap with tires.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by K-E-V

Our wheels are indeed made in Japan by TanEiSya, and we don't really try to hide it. If you open a box of our wheels, each one has a sticker that says "made in Japan" right on the wheel. You see that same sticker on RAC wheels because they are private-labeled through us. Similar can been said for Speedline, although that's a little more complicated.

Why do we do this? Simply put, because no other company out there has the forgings to accomplish what we can with our wheels. For example, 1 piece fully forged 19 pound wheels with a polished 3 inch lip. Reverse drop-centers to eliminate standing water issues. Our incredible relationship with TanEiSya has been long standing because they are unlike any wheel manufacturer in the world.

When you compare our wheels to other wheels that I consider of equal quality and finish (such as HRE, BBS), the pricing is pretty much the same. Shoot nowadays, there are companies out there selling heavy 3 piece wheels for $8000 per set. Compared to that our wheels are a bargain!

Hopefully that cleared some things up

Old 11-22-2011, 11:36 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
One thing to say about HRE, other than the one piece wheels, many of the 3 piece wheels have forged centers, but only spun barrels. They bend like butter.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
One thing to say about HRE, other than the one piece wheels, many of the 3 piece wheels have forged centers, but only spun barrels. They bend like butter.
That's the other great thing about our wheels. We duplicate the look of 3 piece wheels, but in a one-piece forged wheel that weighs as little as 18.5lbs pounds for a 19 inch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why are Champion wheels so expensive?