997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why are Champion wheels so expensive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:28 PM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
Thanks for chiming in. The facilities at Tan-Ei-Sya is truly world class and impressive.

Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Our wheels are indeed made in Japan by TanEiSya, and we don't really try to hide it. If you open a box of our wheels, each one has a sticker that says "made in Japan" right on the wheel. You see that same sticker on RAC wheels because they are private-labeled through us. Similar can been said for Speedline, although that's a little more complicated.

Why do we do this? Simply put, because no other company out there has the forgings to accomplish what we can with our wheels. For example, 1 piece fully forged 19 pound wheels with a polished 3 inch lip. Reverse drop-centers to eliminate standing water issues. Our incredible relationship with TanEiSya has been long standing because they are unlike any wheel manufacturer in the world.

When you compare our wheels to other wheels that I consider of equal quality and finish (such as HRE, BBS), the pricing is pretty much the same. Shoot nowadays, there are companies out there selling heavy 3 piece wheels for $8000 per set. Compared to that our wheels are a bargain!

Hopefully that cleared some things up

Old 11-22-2011, 12:41 PM
w00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
When you compare our wheels to other wheels that I consider of equal quality and finish (such as HRE, BBS), the pricing is pretty much the same. Shoot nowadays, there are companies out there selling heavy 3 piece wheels for $8000 per set. Compared to that our wheels are a bargain!
That's not true... if you buy them in Europe

Old 11-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by w00zy
That's not true... if you buy them in Europe

Unfortunately for American companies like us and HRE, obtaining TUV approval is a very difficult and expensive process. The prices reflect that.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned
gt2urbo is infamous around these partsgt2urbo is infamous around these parts
id be careful with champ if i were u

Old 12-13-2011, 05:01 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gt2urbo
id be careful with champ if i were u
I've been totally happy with mine. My only problem was having a local wheel refinisher try to polish out some minor scratches on the polished lip of one of my rear wheels, and they couldn't match the level of polish done by the factory originally.
I hit a bad freeway pavement joint 18 months ago that jolted the car so hard my cup holder flap fell open. I was expecting bent rims it was so harsh. Not one issue with the wheels (or my damptronics).

Old 12-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
I'm very pleased with my Champs (RS184's),very light,strong,the finish is flawless.,cheers.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Good stuff cost good money. HRE, BBS, and Champion put a lot of time and effort into making a truely quality wheel. In regards to Champion, the cost of labor and shipping from Japan exceed that of wheels built in the US. So Champion is not taking the cheap route here. I trust very few after market wheel manufacturers beside the above three. TUV approval is a real PIA but required if you're your in the German market. Just because Champion and HRE do not have TUV certs it does not mean there product is inferior. I've had the chance to tour the HRE design and production plant near San Diego and I can tell you they know there stuff. While I've not been to the Champion manufacturing plant in Japan, I've been through other manufacturing plants and the Japanese are fanatics about quality.